• You cannot reply to this topic

Colour of "Reversal Point" display in Track Monitor Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 18 December 2018 - 05:18 PM

View Postdforrest, on 18 December 2018 - 05:02 PM, said:

Thanks vince I will spend some time going through what you have noted and trying it with some examples.

Two very initial comments on the graphics aspect. Firstly it took me a while to distinguish that the reverse arrow in the second Track Monitor display was anything but white! And secondly, if they were masked by the yellow "Train Ahead Indicator", distinguishing them and their colour would be even more difficult.

Agreed. I just finished running the Central Pickups activity on the LIRR (mede those pics at the first RP.)
When setting RP's under a wagon, they are a bit difficult to see unless you get up close and personal with your monitor. Having them under the 8 or so pickups in the activity enabled me to use OR in Autopilot Mode when developing the activity as all the pickups are made while I enjoy a 'cuppa.
regards,vince

#12 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 19 December 2018 - 12:34 AM

(Two pictures)
Hi David,
Note the distance marker 10yd In the first picture, this is the distance to the RP, 10yd. In the secong picture the RP has Triggered and the RP has turned green meaning it's okay to stop and reverse. The distance you see this time 14 yd, is now showing the distance to the end of my Authority to occupy the track.
As soon as I stop the RP will disappear, the train icon will change direction, and if you were riding a brakemans position on the step, you'll be placed on the other end of your engine.

It's a bit tricky navigating these RP and EndAuthority markers bacause if you pass the red bar it's an emergency brake thing. royal pita . . . makes me wish that red bar was maybe 20 yards further on.

regards,
vince

Hi vince,
thank you for helping in clarifying this issue.
Some precision and some detail. I don't think the RP on your right picture is the same as in the first picture or at least you had a different consist. This because if you still see the RP symbol (even if it is green), this means that you haven't yet reached the RP, and it would make no sense that you get it green at a greater distance where you get it white.
Moreover If you still see the RP symbol (even if it is green) and see the red bar, the distance shown is still that of the RP, which you haven't yet reached, even if you are already allowed to reverse.
So, resuming, in the first picture you have a RP that you haven't reached, and, being it white, you can't yet reverse and must progress further until the RP symbol disappears or becomes green.
In the second picture you have a RP that you haven't reached but, being it green, you can already reverse (of course you may also progress further until the RP symbol disappears as you would do with MSTS and as AI trains do).
Re the red bar: the red bar is put at the end of the track section where the RP lies, that is at the next signal or switch. So it may be nearer or farther to the RP. If you pass that point (the Authority as you say) you get the emergency braking, because maybe you have invaded a place that is under the authority of another train (and maybe you are on a misaligned switch). It's true that MSTS was more forgiving here and that it may be sometimes frustrating (when RP - still in white colour - is near to the end of authority marker), but I don't see a simple way out. From the point of view of the activity builder it is sometimes wiser in such case, if applicable, to put the RP in next track section.
The train would still be allowed to reverse before, at the moment the RP becomes green.

#13 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, Open Rails

Posted 19 December 2018 - 02:32 AM

Thank you both for you insight. Can we PLEASE get this information fully documented and added to the manual. Also, can the green reverse point symbol be made a darker green and therefor more easily distinguishable from the white one.

#14 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 19 December 2018 - 04:21 AM

OK, in x.4330 I have added further info about reversal points in the manual (see paragraph 10.6). Manual will be available with next testing version (should be next Saturday).

#15 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 19 December 2018 - 04:26 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 19 December 2018 - 04:21 AM, said:

OK, in x.4330 I have added further info about reversal points in the manual (see paragraph 10.6). Manual will be available with next testing version (should be next Saturday).

Thanks. How about making that light green arrow darker?

#16 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 19 December 2018 - 10:02 AM

If it's darker you will see it better on a yellow background, but you will see it worse on a black background, so I'd leave it as it is. If someone of the ORMT thinks differently I may listen to him.

#17 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 19 December 2018 - 10:09 AM

Surely a bright green, as is used for the eye in the Track Monitor, would be good with both backgrounds.

#18 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 15 January 2019 - 04:18 PM

Attached as a pic showing the display of the white reverse point arrow against a yellow background. It is almost indistinguishable. I ask again, can the colour be changed?

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: White reverse point on yellow.jpg

#19 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OR/TSRE

Posted 15 January 2019 - 05:35 PM

The reason you can't see the reverse point is that it's underneath the Train Ahead indicator. Changing the color of the marker will do precisely nothing in this case. Maybe it could be moved alongside so it's still visible if two indicators overlap, but why change the color? White reverse points have worked for almost 20 years now...

#20 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:20 PM

Let's try again!!

Attached is a pic showing the display of a white reverse point and a yellow Train Ahead indicator. The reverse point is almost indistinguishable. Can the colour or transparency of either of them be changed so that both can be seen?

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users