Elvas Tower: Wheel Bearing Impacts - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Wheel Bearing Impacts Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 12 December 2018 - 09:22 PM

One of my physics testers have suggested that the following features related to the wheel bearings be added to OR:

i) Starting Resistance: The starting resistance model in OR is a static model, ie it is always the same value. In reality this is not the case. Once a train has been running for a period of time the bearing grease heats up, and the starting resistance reduces. Similarly whilst the train is stationary, the wheel bearing cools down and the starting resistance increases. It is proposed to equip OR with a representative thermal model to adjust the starting resistance in snow conditions.

ii) Hot Axle Boxes - A challenge for a train crew could be the failure of an axle due to overheating. An example of the impacts of failed bearings is available here. It is proposed to equip OR with a representative thermal model to provide random hot axle box alarms and failures.

A blueprint covering this enhancement has been raised.

Based upon my research, in the event that a hot axle box was detected (either manually by the crew or automatically by a detection system), the train was required to stop for inspection by the train crew. Depending upon the severity of the problem, the crew may be required to travel to the next siding at a reduced speed, to shunt the offending wagon into the siding for repairs.

Thanks

#2 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OR/TSRE

Posted 13 December 2018 - 08:19 AM

Interesting ideas, to be sure. But other than activity writers programming x car as having a bad bearing and having a notification pop up at some point, how would a player be informed of a bearing failure? Or would some kind of working hotbox detector be included with this?

#3 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 13 December 2018 - 07:30 PM

ebnertra000, on 13 December 2018 - 08:19 AM, said:

Interesting ideas, to be sure. But other than activity writers programming x car as having a bad bearing and having a notification pop up at some point, how would a player be informed of a bearing failure? Or would some kind of working hotbox detector be included with this?
At the initialization of OR a car will be randomly selected to have a hot bearing. The initiating probability will be set such that a car may not always be selected every time for a hot box scenario.

Then, as in real life the bearing will overheat eventually, depending upon the train operation. Warning and Alarm messages will be provided as the bearing reaches designated temperatures. The driver will then have to take the appropriate action as laid down in the rules for hot boxes.

The Hot Box feature will be able to be activated by the user from the Options menu so that it will also work in explorer mode.

My personal preference is to also have a switch that an activity writer can use to override the Options checkbox, and thus force a Hotbox scenario sometime during an activity.

#4 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 14 December 2018 - 12:05 AM

Hi Peter,
there is already in OR the optional feature to set partial random failures in activities for OR (activity randomization). Maybe your interesting function could be inserted in that feature.

#5 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 14 December 2018 - 12:58 PM

Hi Carlo,

Csantucci, on 14 December 2018 - 12:05 AM, said:

there is already in OR the optional feature to set partial random failures in activities for OR (activity randomization). Maybe your interesting function could be inserted in that feature.
Thanks for that. I will have a look at it.

#6 User is offline   ErickC 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 14 December 2018 - 02:15 PM

Hm, would this take into account differences between plain and roller bearings? I've heard anecdotes about plain bearings having a large amount of initial resistance in cold weather, which would disappear after a short distance, but would often require the use of helpers to get trains started. It certainly sounds like an interesting feature.

#7 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 15 December 2018 - 09:01 PM

ErickC, on 14 December 2018 - 02:15 PM, said:

Hm, would this take into account differences between plain and roller bearings? I've heard anecdotes about plain bearings having a large amount of initial resistance in cold weather, which would disappear after a short distance, but would often require the use of helpers to get trains started. It certainly sounds like an interesting feature.
As far as I am aware ALL roller bearings would have similar characteristics in cold conditions, ie as they rotate their starting resistance decreases. So if the train stops for a small period of time, the starting resistance will not be as great as seen initially. If the train is stopped long enough, then the bearings will cool down, and the starting resistance will increase again.

I am happy to be pointed to any sites that provide specific details if this is not the case.

Thanks

#8 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OR/TSRE

Posted 15 December 2018 - 09:15 PM

I do have at least one set of rules (probably more than one) on how train crews are to handle hot bearings. While they are based on US practice, they are probably somewhat similar to rail systems elsewhere would use. If you want me to dig them up, I can do that

#9 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 15 December 2018 - 09:20 PM

ebnertra000, on 15 December 2018 - 09:15 PM, said:

I do have at least one set of rules (probably more than one) on how train crews are to handle hot bearings. While they are based on US practice, they are probably somewhat similar to rail systems elsewhere would use. If you want me to dig them up, I can do that

Thanks for that.

I think that it would be helpful to see what operating conditions need to adhered to.

#10 User is offline   ErickC 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 15 December 2018 - 11:18 PM

steamer_ctn, on 15 December 2018 - 09:01 PM, said:

As far as I am aware ALL roller bearings would have similar characteristics in cold conditions, ie as they rotate their starting resistance decreases. So if the train stops for a small period of time, the starting resistance will not be as great as seen initially. If the train is stopped long enough, then the bearings will cool down, and the starting resistance will increase again.

I am happy to be pointed to any sites that provide specific details if this is not the case.

Thanks

Maybe I phrased that poorly. My understanding is that all bearings have higher cold resistance, but plain bearings had so much resistance when cold that a long train would often need helpers just to get started.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users