• You cannot reply to this topic

Custom Throttle Notching For Electric Locomotives Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   NF1-800 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS and ORTS

Posted 09 December 2018 - 06:07 AM

Hi all!
Never thought of this before and also do not know if it's possible so i hope someone can answer, no matter if it's positive or negative.
On our railway and probably other, some electric locomotives have a different notching system, let's say a semi-automatic throttle.
For example one has let's say 40 notches and this is how it behaves:
0 - no traction
1 - 1st notch for starting
2 - 2nd notch for starting
3 - 3rd notch for starting
4 - a HOLDING notch
5 - an ADVANCE/CONTINOUS notch from which the number of steps left, increase automatically 1 by 1 for each 0,4 seconds.

How it works:

You get the locomotive starting by using the 1st 3 notches and when you are ready to increase traction to the desired step, you take it to notch 5 and the steps are increasing automatically for each 0,4 seconds and when you want to cut the advance for a desired step you turn back on the 4th notch where it cancels the advance and stays on the desired step.

The decreasing is also automatic, you turn back to notch 3 and the steps decrease with the same pace until you cut the decreasing notching back to notch 4 which holds the needed step.

I am sorry for the short description and with the lack of technical explications but i suppose you might understand what i am looking for.

Thank you in advance!

#2 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 09 December 2018 - 01:12 PM

View PostNF1-800, on 09 December 2018 - 06:07 AM, said:

Hi all!
Never thought of this before and also do not know if it's possible so i hope someone can answer, no matter if it's positive or negative.
On our railway and probably other, some electric locomotives have a different notching system, let's say a semi-automatic throttle.
For example one has let's say 40 notches and this is how it behaves:
0 - no traction
1 - 1st notch for starting
2 - 2nd notch for starting
3 - 3rd notch for starting
4 - a HOLDING notch
5 - an ADVANCE/CONTINOUS notch from which the number of steps left, increase automatically 1 by 1 for each 0,4 seconds.

How it works:

You get the locomotive starting by using the 1st 3 notches and when you are ready to increase traction to the desired step, you take it to notch 5 and the steps are increasing automatically for each 0,4 seconds and when you want to cut the advance for a desired step you turn back on the 4th notch where it cancels the advance and stays on the desired step.

The decreasing is also automatic, you turn back to notch 3 and the steps decrease with the same pace until you cut the decreasing notching back to notch 4 which holds the needed step.

I am sorry for the short description and with the lack of technical explications but i suppose you might understand what i am looking for.

Thank you in advance!

I'm not sure that would work for the sim because those things are written in the engine file proper.

#3 User is offline   ShortNorth 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher

Posted 14 December 2018 - 06:09 PM

Hi,

I'm currently working on a 1920's British EMU set. The base file originally had a 5-step throttle - 0.0, 0.25, 0.5, 0.75, 1.0 - I found the first step, the set took off like a 'startled jack rabbit', it accelerated quickly, but lacked fine control at slower urban speeds in station precincts - constantly on and off the throttle, but just too great a speed variation between them.

So, I added two extra steps, for a 7-step throttle - 0.0, 0.1, 0.2, 0.25, 0.5, 0.75, 1.0 - now I have far greater control on approach and departure from station areas - it was easy to add the extra two steps into the .eng file.

Regards, Brian

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users