Elvas Tower: "Initalaising Brakes" and Release of Manually Set Handbrakes - Elvas Tower

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"Initalaising Brakes" and Release of Manually Set Handbrakes Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, Open Rails

Posted 26 November 2018 - 08:23 AM

I have been advised in another thread that initializing brakes releases any wagon handbrakes which have been manually set. My testing appears to confirm this. Surely this is not "typical" operation of the braking system.

Has anyone any comments.

#2 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 26 November 2018 - 09:40 AM

The command to fully initialize brakes is not thought as a prototypical command, but as a command to find a way out in stuck-at situations and to speed up testing.

#3 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 26 November 2018 - 09:44 AM

View Postdforrest, on 26 November 2018 - 08:23 AM, said:

I have been advised in another thread that initializing brakes releases any wagon handbrakes which have been manually set. My testing appears to confirm this. Surely this is not "typical" operation of the braking system.Has anyone any comments.

Yes, the Initialize Brakes was put in there I believe for those users that got tied up in the prototypical way Open Rails handled brakes.
It's not meant to be prototypical at all, only to correct possible user screw ups.

Absolutely do not use it if you prefer visiting every wagon on your train to set the brakes which works quite well and is almost al slow as walking the length of your train to do this.
regards,
vince

#4 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 26 November 2018 - 09:51 AM

View Postvince, on 26 November 2018 - 09:44 AM, said:

Yes, the Initialize Brakes was put in there I believe for those users that got tied up in the prototypical way Open Rails handled brakes.
It's not meant to be prototypical at all, only to correct possible user screw ups.

Absolutely do not use it if you prefer visiting every wagon on your train to set the brakes which works quite well and is almost al slow as walking the length of your train to do this.
regards,
vince

Unfortunately the time taken to walk up and down the train to set and reset handbrakes is a result of the way Open Rails handles this.

It was not a problem in MSTS.

Such a procedure, somewhat exaggerated above, is necessary in many UK steam-era shunting activities. It makes running such activities in Open Rails very difficult.

#5 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant

Posted 26 November 2018 - 03:11 PM

View Postdforrest, on 26 November 2018 - 09:51 AM, said:

Unfortunately the time taken to walk up and down the train to set and reset handbrakes is a result of the way Open Rails handles this. It was not a problem in MSTS. Such a procedure, somewhat exaggerated above, is necessary in many UK steam-era shunting activities. It makes running such activities in Open Rails very difficult.

Well, you don't have to actually walk the train now do you? http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/whistling.gif [SHIFT] + / does that very nicelyhttp://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/pleasantry.gif
In reality shunting operations ARE quite time consuming what with all the work that was left out of MSTS got some folks lazy it seems.
It's a simulation so run it any way you want.
With MSTS you had to select each car with the mouse to set the hand brakes right? And with OR, you select the car (wagon) then set the brakes or what ever other car operations you wish to perform.
I don't see anything to complain about here as this particular operation works pretty much like MSTS.
You must expect some differences between the Sims yes?

I personally don't see any reason to change anything. Good show, OR developers!http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/bigboss.gif

regards,
vince

#6 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 26 November 2018 - 03:43 PM

Sorry to contradict but it is nothing like it is in MSTS.

The main difference, in addition to more mouse clicks being needed, is that you have no visual indicator to show whether or not the brake is set (you have colour indication in MSTS). This means that when the brake needs releasing, unless you have noted which are set, you have no indication to guide you in releasing the required brake. The only way to find out is to open the display for each wagon and check. Remember that you a doing this while controlling a (perhaps complicated) shunting operation.

#7 User is offline   Hobo 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:OPEN RAILS & MSTS

Posted 26 November 2018 - 04:08 PM

The F5 screen on the brake page shows all cars and will tell you the brake status of each car . If it's a very long train you just scroll down and you can check the whole works on the same screen. This saves a lot of time searching for the one you forgot about .

Works for me !

#8 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant

Posted 26 November 2018 - 04:20 PM

View Postdforrest, on 26 November 2018 - 03:43 PM, said:

Sorry to contradict but it is nothing like it is in MSTS. The main difference, in addition to more mouse clicks being needed, is that you have no visual indicator to show whether or not the brake is set (you have colour indication in MSTS). This means that when the brake needs releasing, unless you have noted which are set, you have no indication to guide you in releasing the required brake. The only way to find out is to open the display for each wagon and check. Remember that you a doing this while controlling a (perhaps complicated) shunting operation.
No need to apologize contradicting. Folks do that all the time at first. http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/good2.gif
In shunting, I keep the Train Op window open. Clicking on an individule wagon displays all brake parameters. No problem for me and at last in a simulator that triples my framerates of MSTS.
No, I went OR three years ago and have never looked back. With a fully indexed OR Users Manual I have zero problems of gripes. And you're complaining about more mouse clicks and colour coded cars rather than full car brake condition text! Seriously? http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/cray.gif
I do feel sorry for your distress but OR is MSTS compatible . . . But NOT the same, thank goodness!http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/party.gif

In MSTS could you click on wagons in a loose consist to see brake conditions?

vince

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users