• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Speed control Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   jan111 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails & MSTS

Posted 27 October 2018 - 03:20 AM

In autopilot mode the speed of the train is kept according to the speed limit indicated in the Track Monitor.
Is it possible to implement this function in manual mode?
The ideal thing would be if you could toggle this function on and off by a key.

#2 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 27 October 2018 - 04:11 AM

No, sorry, this would be too complicated, because the autopilot code relies on the AI train code, but AI trains don't run in manual mode, because they need a path to follow.
By the way, why do you ask for that? Usually one runs in manual mode only for short route intervals.

#3 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 27 October 2018 - 10:23 AM

While on this subject, since I have used autopilot mode a lot, there is weakness that I wish could be addressed.

Namely, autopilot mode provides the user with a locomotive(s) with superhuman strength. When you switch to manual mode, you get what the consist can really do, given horsepower/friction limitations. This is most noticeable when a user switches from manual to autopilot and back, the autopilot can do things that are impossible to achieve in manual mode (500hp pulling 10,000 tons up hill!). I have seen this time and time again. I understand fully that the basic AI train just stays within a certain max speed limit for compatibility with MSTS activities.

I submit that this compatibility should really be secondary to whether or not the given locomotive can accomplish the feat in manual mode. If the horsepower/friction limits are NOT exceeded for a given consist load, then the max speed can be achieved.

Thanks,
Steve

#4 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 27 October 2018 - 09:13 PM

Completely agree Steve,
Here's my peeve . . . I use the AP to set up activitys but get gigged for exceeding speed for curves if I run as the AP does.
Is there a chance of seeing curve dependent speed limit put into both AI and Autopilot Mode.

And yes, I used a Tracktruck to pull 9000 tons up the Horseshoehttp://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/ko2.gif
regards,vince

#5 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 29 October 2018 - 12:38 AM

When I last checked, it still was not possible to run AI trains fully on actual physics only. I have tried to run my timetable on real physics only but trains which easily ran uphill in manual mode often got stuck in AI mode, in particular push-pull trains with engines pushing (but not only those). The main reason is that AI only has control and information at train level, not at engine (unit) level. One of the major problems is wheelslip because this is reported only at engine level. It would require a complete rewrite of large parts of AI control as well as of the physics logic if AI control is to be handled at unit level.
Another important issue, in particular with day-long timetables, is that trains may run out of fuel / water / coal, and fuelling AI trains has not yet been implemented in timetables.

PostScript : one major item is that OR still does not support the concept of proper driving trailers. Anything with a cab is assumed to be an engine. So driving trailers are set up as engines but their weight/power ration makes a real mess of the physics.
Any attempt to improve AI physics must therefor first address the issue of driving trailers.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users