• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Suggestions for timetable Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Hannes44 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 07 October 2018 - 12:56 AM

I have built some rural routes with passenger traffic. In reality, there are fixed timetable stops for the trains, but the trains need to stop only, if passengers wish to leave the train or there are passengers visible on the platform, who wish to enter the train. In reality the train has to stop in about 60% of all stations or less.

Would it be possible to add an arbitrary function, maybe "$stop_request" for any station without a mandatory stop?
ATM player-train and AI-trains are always late, when using the real timetable on some routes, because this timetable is calculated with empirical values concerning the station-stops. Obviously it is possible to simply ignore some stations in the sim, but then the sim counts a long time the negative distance to the "missed" station, then there is the "missed station" warning for some time. In this time the train has possibly already reached the next station, and the timetable becomes useless.
Such a function would make driving a route more interesting and more of a challenge, too.

2. Would it be possible to attribute some kind of a priority value to the trains in a timetable? So, that the AI dispatcher opens the paths first for trains with higher priority and trains with lower priority are halted in sidings or passing paths. I know that's difficult to implement, but would add significantly to realism.

#2 User is offline   QJ-6811 

• Conductor
  • Simulator:MSTS / Open Rails

Posted 07 October 2018 - 01:29 AM

I read your post and understand the situation of "stop-request", a situation that often occurs on local secondary lines.

Maybe it helps, I have solved similar situation by using the timetable times only for "fixed stations", so do not fill in the small stops in the time table.
If you calculate the time correctly, you can either drive on (also the AI trains) and you still have enough time to stop at a small stop.
Another solution is to fill in "mandatory stop" with -1 minute time. This allows you to make a shorter stop (Player train and AI train does not have to wait until the departure time) and you are back on time at the "fixed stations".

What, moreover, amazed me in general that many people say that AI treads are always too late? I usually have the opposite effect, AI-trains are mostly too early, because they accelerate and brake maximally, and constantly run at maximum speed. (if you yourself do not ride like a "roller coaster" ....)

OK, a "stop-request" is fine for a time in a timetable with no effect or the departure time and missed stations.
It would be nice if the SIM can simulate a stop with passengers at random, or simulate a stop signal. :)

Concerns 2), can you not solve this with "$wait" indicating which train has priority?

#3 User is offline   Hannes44 

• Fireman

Posted 07 October 2018 - 12:19 PM

ad1)I do not quite understand the sentence

"OK, a "stop-request" is fine for a time in a timetable with no effect or the departure time and missed stations."

ad2) $wait is ok with a mostly linear route, but I'm building kind of a network and $wait is insufficient for late trains and the integration of freight trains, it gets really complicated.

#4 User is offline   Howky 

• Fireman

Posted 02 November 2018 - 03:36 AM

Good day :) work timetable on Multiplayer ?

#5 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 03 December 2018 - 11:29 AM

View PostHannes44, on 07 October 2018 - 12:56 AM, said:

2. Would it be possible to attribute some kind of a priority value to the trains in a timetable? So, that the AI dispatcher opens the paths first for trains with higher priority and trains with lower priority are halted in sidings or passing paths. I know that's difficult to implement, but would add significantly to realism.

For the longest time I've been suggesting the same idea. In North America Timetable and Train Order was the standard way to get trains across a dark district. The key concept that made it all work was assigning a priority first to one direction over the opposite (e.g., westbound over eastbound) and then when both trains were traveling in the same direction, by class (e.g., First class over 2nd). Add mandatory clearance times (i.e., a train had to be stopped on a siding for n minutes before the other train appears where n is greater for meeting traffic moving in the opposite direction. 5 and 10 minutes were common clearance times).

While it would be ideal for those data to be attributes of the route an adequate solution would be to add them to the timetable file.

The effect was if an inferior train could not gain clearance at the far station for a meet it would not proceed and the meet would occur where it was at present.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users