Elvas Tower: Updated: Dynamic shadows are shut off in camera #5?! - Elvas Tower

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Updated: Dynamic shadows are shut off in camera #5?! Should they be? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 19 September 2018 - 03:41 PM

Sorry there folks, I think some screen captures offer a better explanation, not to mention a few context changes!

This is an old one.

First a small pre-amble. The #5 camera is "supposed" to be a passenger view camera. In practice, it is used for many things other than a strictly static position with the gimbal feature. The #5 camera can be moved just about anywhere, inside or outside the model. This feature makes it all the more odd, that dynamic shadows are disabled for this view for the wagon that the passenger view was setup for in the .wag file.

As in illustration here is camera #3, note the dynamic shadows:
Attached Image: Image1.gif

and in camera #5, moved to the outside, notice the LACK of dynamic shadows (also the red light has also gone, never noticed that before! ):
Attached Image: Image2.gif

and a realistic closeup with camera #5, hanging out the back of the caboose, note the LACK of dynamic shadows:
Attached Image: Image3.gif

In the 3D cab camera mode, dynamic shadows are NOT disabled, even though if you look out of the cab, onto the ground below, you may see an odd dynamic shadow (things are missing!). This is more an exercise for the modeller to include a "cab shell" (outside body) to go with the 3D cab. Open Rails is more than capable of handling the extra polygons. Dynamic shadows enabled inside the 3D cab are desirable, should that not also be so in the #5 passenger view?

Thank you!

#2 User is offline   Hamza97 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 21 September 2018 - 07:22 PM

Yes... That`s a bug I think which I have too witnessed and I conquer with your observations.... :thumbup3: :thumbup3:

#3 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 25 September 2018 - 10:37 AM

View PostEldorado.Railroad, on 19 September 2018 - 03:41 PM, said:

Sorry there folks, I think some screen captures offer a better explanation, not to mention a few context changes!

This is an old one.

First a small pre-amble. The #5 camera is "supposed" to be a passenger view camera. In practice, it is used for many things other than a strictly static position with the gimbal feature. The #5 camera can be moved just about anywhere, inside or outside the model. This feature makes it all the more odd, that dynamic shadows are disabled for this view for the wagon that the passenger view was setup for in the .wag file.

Thanks for the pictures, really helps sometimes!

I expect this is due to the way that camera #5 replaces the normal shape of the train car with the interior one, probably by hiding the entire train car (and thus the red light disappears) and inserting a "fake" (the interior shape). Definitely a bug, though!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users