• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Can ORTS load shipping containers? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   SP 0-6-0 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/ORTS

Posted 07 September 2018 - 03:14 PM

Just wondering if the .FA freight animation would allow for loading containers as RW does in some way. Container loading

Robert

#2 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 07 September 2018 - 10:39 PM

Someone reported this
http://www.elvastowe...__1#entry226723
although I expect it has some big limits.
I'd like to have that full function available, but it requires some new class. The container must be defined as an object with some properties (dimension, position, weight), because it exists also independently from the wagon; the crane must be defined as an object too. While the crane shape could be defined in the route files as an animated object, probably the container should be defined in the activity file or in something linked to it. Ideas by good software designers are welcome. By the way I see in the video you have shown that there are no stacked containers (neither at earth nor on wagons), because this would add more difficulties to the problem...

#3 User is offline   SP 0-6-0 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 08 September 2018 - 08:45 AM

Csantucci, on 07 September 2018 - 10:39 PM, said:

Someone reported this
I'd like to have that full function available, but it requires some new class. The container must be defined as an object with some properties (dimension, position, weight), because it exists also independently from the wagon; the crane must be defined as an object too. While the crane shape could be defined in the route files as an animated object, probably the container should be defined in the activity file or in something linked to it. Ideas by good software designers are welcome. By the way I see in the video you have shown that there are no stacked containers (neither at earth nor on wagons), because this would add more difficulties to the problem...

I think Cajon Pass in RW has stacked containers. The video is of typical British practice. They don't have double stacks as their RY system can not support it due to severe clearance issues under bridges and catenary to name a few. Edit, RW picks up a double stack like it is a single object. My link Sorry for the poor video.

The containers would need to be classed as freight anim pick up objects of some sort. Also might have to take into consideration the differences between empty and loaded containers. Then there is wagon weights to consider as the flatcars are loaded/unloaded.

Might need to ask some of those experienced in Railworks and TS20XX how this feature is setup for some ideas.

Robert

#4 User is offline   SP 0-6-0 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 08 September 2018 - 09:25 AM

Csantucci, on 07 September 2018 - 10:39 PM, said:

Someone reported this

Carlos, Maybe the container feature already exists but just needs some improvements? Looks like some of your coding from earlier makes this feature possible. Container Loading

This does make me wonder about loading wood chip hoppers and using a clamshell bucket crane to unload them? Or even better some sort of industrial vacuum cleaner type machine to unload them.

Robert

#5 User is offline   SP 0-6-0 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 04 February 2019 - 08:22 AM

Just bumping this to the top again. Container yards would make for interesting activities.

Robert

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users