• You cannot reply to this topic

.fa parts not displayed Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 31 August 2018 - 10:29 AM

Goku, could you display the .fa parts listed in the .wag or .eng file?

Here is the issue: Let's assume the .s file has only trucks and wheels -- what is required by MSTS. It could be part of either a .eng or a .wag but my example here will use the .wag file. Perhaps that .s file has some other details too, like couplers and brake equipment -- the stuff that is harder to make in a 3d model. There are several .fa parts in the folder, each of which contains all the rest of the car, with each skinned uniquely (do different numbers, weathering, etc. are shown. The idea here is this: whatever goes into the .fa .s file is easily modeled by less experienced 3d modelers AND it allows the non-.fa .s file to be something that can skinned generically and used in lots of places.

In TSRE-con right now all we would see of the above would be trucks, wheels, and maybe a few other details, but not the car body. Displaying the .fa part would show the entire car.

FWIW, there has long been discussion of allowing multiple .fa parts in Open Rails. I don't know whether that has been implemented or not but if it is (or when it is) that is likely to increase the need to see those .fa parts.

Thanks in advance for considering this suggestion.

#2 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 31 August 2018 - 11:08 AM

If .fa is FreightAnim then TSRE displays all. MSTS FA and OpenRails multiple freightanims.

#3 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 31 August 2018 - 11:11 AM

Dave,

Goku does not seem to be participating in this sub-forum any more. This is evidenced in numerous questions asked or problems reported that have not been answered. I have been waiting since 19 July for an answer to my question about naming of Engine Sets.

Are you sure that TSRE-CE does not display the FA shapes in the consist display? I am looking at DRGW5347.eng a Dick Cowen repaint of an SD40-2T model by Gettkant. The FA is snow plow, walkway, short hood, long hood, hand rails, and other minor parts. The main shape file has the frame, all the parts under the frame, the cab, the long hood except the Tunnel parts and some other minor parts. The Engine displayed in the TSRE-CE Con View does include the parts that are only in the FA shape.

#4 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 31 August 2018 - 01:29 PM

My mistake -- looking again it appears the problem is the name of the .fa part as recorded in the .wag file. Sorry!!

#5 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 31 August 2018 - 01:52 PM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 31 August 2018 - 01:29 PM, said:

My mistake -- looking again it appears the problem is the name of the .fa part as recorded in the .wag file. Sorry!!

One of the new tests I proposed to Joe Smith to add to ConBuilder for Open Rails back when version 6.0 was released was to read the Include line and taking the file specification and determine if the file existed where it was said to be located. Should have been easy to code as ConBuilder already has similar tools to verify that the file defined in the Sound and the CabView lines existed where they should. But Joe never got that coded.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users