• You cannot reply to this topic

Open Rails Physics Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 25 August 2018 - 06:57 PM

I have not "worked the problem" of steam locomotives anywhere near as much as diesels and but a tiny fraction of freight cars so what follows is, at best, one man's opinion of how the Include statement might appear for steamers. No warranties so YMMV.

SIMISA@@@@@@@@@@JINX0D0t______

Wagon ( spmsts4464-1
	Type ( Engine )
	WagonShape ( spmsts4464-1.s )
	Freightanim ( WP-GS6-Crew1.s 1 1 )
	Adheasion ( 0.3 0.76 0.63 0 )

Include ( "SP_GS-6_Fixed_Specs.inc" )
	Include ( "SP_GS-6_Locomotive_Weight.inc" )
	Include ( "..\\Common.Inc\\Fleet\\Std_Steam_Locomotive_Bar_&_Coupler.inc" )
	Include ( "SP_GS-6_LOCOMOTIVE_BRAKES.INC" )
	Sound ( "GS6eng.sms" )
	Include ( "SP_GS-6_Lights.inc" )
)

Engine ( spmsts4464-1
	COMMENT ( "The following block of data is retained in this file to allow cusomizing the FX of each locomotive. " )
	COMMENT ( "For each FX, you may edit the numerical value in the thrd line of numbers." )
	COMMENT ( "DO NOT edit any other numbers!" )
	Effects
	(
		SteamSpecialEffects
		(
			WhistleFX
			(
				0 4.84 -6.943
				0 1 0
			)

SafetyValvesFX
			(
				0.0 4.8 -5.763
				0 1 0
			)

StackFX
			(
				0 5.05 1.387
				0 1 0
			)

CylindersFX
			(
				-1.496 0.38 1.527
				-1 0 -0.5
			)

CylindersFX
			(
				1.496 0.38 1.527
				1 0 -0.5
			)
		)
	)
	Wagon ( spmsts4464-1 )
	Include ( "SP_GS-6_Power.inc" )
	COMMENT ( " For variable power performance copy any line from the above .inc file and paste below this comment, then ")
	COMMENT ( "edit value as desired. Use at your own risk." )

COMMENT (" You may edit the values on the next two lines to have a customized effect appear on this locomotive." )
	SmokeCombustion ( 8 )
	SteamSmokeUnitsPerPoundOfFuel ( 4.5 )
	SteamMaxSmokeUnitsReleaseRate ( 10 )

Include ( "SP_GS-6_Air_Compressor_&_Resevoir.inc" )
	Include ( "SP_GS-6_Independent_Brake_Control.inc" )
	Include ( "SP_GS-6_Train_Brake_Control.inc" )
	Include ( "SP_GS-6_Misc_Engineer_Control.inc" )
	Include ( "SP_GS-6_Misc_Fireman_Control.inc" )

CabView ( GS6.cvf )
	HeadOut (  1.74 3.58 -13.10 )
	Include ( "SP_GS-6_Engine_Controllers.inc")

comment ( fire temp, fire mass, water mass, boiler pressure,
		tender water, tender coal, smoke quantity,
		fire condition, fuel quality )
	EngineVariables( 950 1227 11297 260 194555 42000 200 1 1 )

Sound ( "GS6cab.sms" )

Name ( "SP MSTS GS-6 4464" )
	Include ( "SP_GS-6_Text.inc" )
)

For the above locomotive, the WP had the same class; I've not done any comparison between the data for the SP and WP units and so as I write all of the .inc files are with the .eng files. If Derek spread out the .engs into individual folders then I probably did fiddle with the .ace names so everything could be moved into just one folder -- this one came out of /SP_4-8-4_GS6. I expect I will eventually do that comparison and if enough of the data matches I'll set up the necessary folder as \common.inc\models\Derek Miller\GS-6, move the .inc files there and rework the path in the .engs. I have a very good editor that does find and replace of files across many folders so that task is trivial for me.

WRT the logic for where any given parameter went I tired to group items for the same function into one .inc file. There is no Open Rails need to do that but as far as an aid to comprehension I think it's best -- when you open something like "SP_GS-6_Train_Brake_Control.inc" at least you know what is supposed to be there and what should not be there. I think that's valuable enough to do because otherwise you'd wind up recreating just another .eng file with everything in it, only calling the whole mess .inc instead of .eng.

Hope this is of some good use for you as it is not easy getting started on this kind of work. Both Gerry and I made plenty of bad decisions that had to be ripped out and redone. If you are going to "roll your own as you see fit" expect at least a bit of the same.

#12 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 26 August 2018 - 08:03 AM

Thanks for everyone's help in this process. So what I am gathering you break up the Engine files and put them into Inc files but also keep the Engine file. You then do common folders for everything and then copy and past like you would for Common folders into the Engine files after you have everything broken up for that specific locomotive. Seems easy enough.

Brandon

#13 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 26 August 2018 - 01:01 PM

Not sure if this is any help to anyone regarding physics but here is something I found from the US Navy about Railroad specs and operations! It also talks about Couplers, breaking and other aspects of railroading. http://navyflightman...er-Types-44.htm I have also attached a PDF file about breaking systems by the Federal Railroad Administration from 1981 about breaking systems. It should have some specs and data sheets in there for everyone to look over. I know its a little dated but thought I would share any ways.

Brandon

Attached File(s)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users