• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Open Rails Physics Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is online   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 24 August 2018 - 11:16 AM

Lately I have been converting some steam locomotives and rolling stock to Open Rails and I was curious about something. I came up with this idea and brought it up to Peter and he wasn't sure if anyone had come up with it or not or if eventually it would be implemented in this way. I noticed in every file for the Open Rails Basic and Advanced specs there is a folder in each individual Locomotive file called Open Rails with another Eng file in it along with a Wag File for the tender of a steam locomotive. I saw what they are used for and have also modified them but my question is eventually will you be able to use those Eng and Wag files for multiple locomotives and store them in the Open Rails folder instead of the original Engine folder? Lets say you have multiple locomotives of the same class that are all exactly the same but you don't want to do different Eng and Wag files for every single locomotive and just want to use the same one you already created. That would save on space in the game along with time and would make it much simpler and to keep them all in the Open Rails Folder instead of every individual Eng folder.

Brandon

#2 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 24 August 2018 - 12:06 PM

this thread may helphttp://www.elvastower.com/forums/index.php?/topic/31171-include-file-standards/
Using the method Dave explains in the thread, which Erick used in the recent release of his NAVS GP7.
If I understand you correctly, the main eng or wag file would reside in the Common.inc folder with path strings placed in the OpenRails folder.
Give Erick (ErickC) a pm and I'm sure he can point you in the right direction.
You can do this with diesels, I dunno about steam. Perhaps OR steam code does not provide for this option.

#3 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 August 2018 - 05:58 PM

Choosing where best to put your .inc files can be a bit tricky to explain so near with mr....

If every .wag or .eng for any **class** of rolling stock is all in one folder you probably should put your .inc files there too. If not then use common.inc\models\modelers name\class name.

By class name I mean the thing being modeled without regard to ownership. For example, any EMD locomotive is a class. It could be owned by many railroads and so could be found in many trainset folders. In that case it makes very good sense to put any
.Inc files in a neutral location. I recommend common.inc\models\modeler name\class name for that.

OTOH, many designs of steam locomotive were unique and owned by only one road. In this case I usually fiddle with the names of texture files (both .ace and in .s) so I can put everything in just one folder. I'll put the .inc files there too. But if I don't bother with that step I'll treat it as-if all the many folders of that class were owned by different roads and put the .inc files for them into the common.inc\models tree. Either way works and if you take the easy way and skip that fiddling that I usually do then you'd be using common.inc\models all of the time.

#4 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 August 2018 - 06:05 PM

P.S I do recommend using the modeler's name in the common.inc\models path because different people may offer their own version of the same class. When that happens you cannot count on their models being exactly identical. Perhaps their size varies, or when an exhaust port is defined, lights, whatever and if you use the same .inc files for models made by different people you might goof something up.

Reskins don't mess with the mesh so they are a non issue.

#5 User is online   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant

Posted 25 August 2018 - 08:16 AM

Aw I see now. So its like having a common Cab/Sound Folders but now its everything else that goes along with it. Lights, physics, Loads and Unloaded and whatever else there is. Going to be a lot of work converting everything over but in the long run it will work much better I believe. The way I have it set up on my PC is I have the Trainset Folder set up by Railroad not by Locomotive type. The reason I asked about Steam is because I have many locomotives that are exactly the same class in my collection. I do not mean Wheel arrangement either but an exact duplicate of the same steam locomotive just a different number.

Brandon

#6 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 25 August 2018 - 08:29 AM

View PostATSF3751, on 25 August 2018 - 08:16 AM, said:

Aw I see now. So its like having a common Cab/Sound Folders but now its everything else that goes along with it. Lights, physics, Loads and Unloaded and whatever else there is. Going to be a lot of work converting everything over but in the long run it will work much better I believe. The way I have it set up on my PC is I have the Trainset Folder set up by Railroad not by Locomotive type. The reason I asked about Steam is because I have many locomotives that are exactly the same class in my collection. I do not mean Wheel arrangement either but an exact duplicate of the same steam locomotive just a different number.

Brandon

Yep, you got it in one, Brandon. i use the common cab/sound folder analogy when explaining to people unfamiliar with the concept. It does take some initial work, but it does make everything so much easier with this modular system.

#7 User is online   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant

Posted 25 August 2018 - 09:41 AM

Awesome that is great news. Now the work begins with converting everything over! Where do I start? Well obviously the forums for one and the Manual for Open Rails.

Brandon

#8 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 25 August 2018 - 10:51 AM

Plan ahead, read Dave's thread about how to organize everything, you can create any system you want, pretty much up to you. I went at it without any sort of plan, and then had to do some more work re-organizing stuff. So take some time in the beginning to think about it.
First. I'd set up a Common.inc folder with at the very least two subfolders, Fleet ( for everything wag related, brakes, couplers, etc. ); Locomotives ( obviously everything engine related) and then the Model folder....best to study the threads about this one, will make more sense to you being a builder. Create other sub folders in the Common.inc folder as you need, linking everything with path strings through eng or wag include files in the OpenRails folders.

Have fun.

#9 User is offline   copperpen 

• Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 25 August 2018 - 11:35 AM

If you are never going to use MSTS again, you can place the inc file calls directly into the eng file same as cab and sound calls.

#10 User is online   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant

Posted 25 August 2018 - 04:15 PM

Already got rid of MSTS all together. I have a separate folder specifically for the Route and Consist Editors and also have my Trainset, Routes and other Miscellaneous files in there. Then have my Open Rails folder completely separate. Would be nice to be able to have everything together but as I have found out that when you go to update Open Rails it screws up everything so thats why I have things separate.

Brandon

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users