• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dynamic steam sounds Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   QJ-6811 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS / Open Rails

Posted 20 August 2018 - 12:28 AM

This topic for sharing information about improving steam sounds.

With dynamic steam sounds I mean that the sounds do not become "monotonous" when driving.

1) Often missing sounds need to be added, like for example dynamo and blower sounds. Also other sounds like 'closing Trovimov' or 'injector sounds outside' are examples.

2) Some individual sounds, such as the steam whistle, air pump, boiler blow-out, blower, etc. can be adjusted via an audio conversion program. With the same sound file you can make several variations, which are then played alternately. Some echo effects for a steam whistle at higher speeds is also a good example.

3) The main reason for this topic.
The last few months I paid a lot of attention to the Chuff sounds. First of all, no sounds like "chuff for chuff" can be made - as far as I know - such as in an ESU decoder for model trains.
As a result, a lot of separate .wav files have to be made, partly also adapted through audio conversion, so that a better synchronization occurs with the wheel rotation / speed. Started with counting 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4 (chuffs per wheel rotation), etc, but this only goes at lower speeds. Later this calculated per "formula", so that the higher speeds can be determined. :)

Example: what is the chuff.WAV time of 4-chuffs at 20km/h
20000m / 3600sec = 5.556 m/sec
5.556 m/sec / 0.925m (radius drivewheel) = 6.006 rad/sec.
1 wheel rotation = 2xPhi Rad 6.006 / (2 x 3.1416) = 0.956 omw/sec.
sec per wheel rotation 1 / 0.956 = 1.046 sec. (= 4-chuffs .WAV file)

A first good experience with OR was that such streams of 180 files are no problem ! :D

A similar stream also made for the cylinder sounds, so that these (KEY-C) are audible separately.

Back to the ESU decoder, made a sound project at the time, where also the steam sounds in "5 levels" are heard, such as from "roll out", "little power", "normal", "extra power" to "heavy power". Note that the sounds of steam locomotives vary not only in sound volume, but also in the type of sound (steam volume content). In my ESU decoder project I was lucky that I had a lot of sound material from two identical locomotives. This is also the bottleneck that good sound recordings / projects are difficult .......... :sweatingbullets:

The above has now been tried (with 3 levels) with two OR steam locomotives. So with 3 equivalent chuff streams, with "Chuff sounds" adapted for "light - normal and heavy sound". These streams work simultaneously, but sound is audible separately or overlaps, depending on regulator and reverse (ie power consumed).
Well, I'm still working on it, but have to say a good experience with OR that this works well! :D :D

So, for those who are also busy with OR-steam locomotives and sounds (and with some experience of .SMS files), here is an example of a used .SMS file.
Attached File  SMS.ZIP (22.89K)
Number of downloads: 500
I hope a good idea for your own project, and maybe later for good steam sounds!

ps.
If someone is interested in a copy "for personal use" of my locomotive, please PM me. For the time being I have a Polish PKP-47 and / or a Russian LV.

Other ideas are of course welcome, I like to hear it.

Regards/Roger

#2 User is offline   QJ-6811 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS / Open Rails

Posted 28 September 2018 - 06:29 AM

Last week my 3rd locomotive changed. As someone said, what you read you can not hear ..... For those who are interested, I have combined the soundfiles of two locomotives "as a set". Unfortunately it does not work as an attachment to this post (too large ...), but I can send it via wetransfer. (PM me or send an email to cnr-models@planet.nl)
Been driven and tested in OR (X4152) for many hours and so far it's going fine.
OK, continue to puzzle what else more is possible.

Regards/Roger

Attached Image: Open Rails PKP_Pt47+MAV_424.jpg

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users