• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Double-headed Class 40s on SVR Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   beresford 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:msts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 05:31 AM

Inspired by dennissat's brilliant signal fix I have revisited the MSTS SVR route and attempted the Diesel Gala scenario. Whistler While You Work. It starts with two Class 40's coupled together on Bridgnorth shed, ready to go and hitch up to the carriages. I have to go up to 70% throttle before the combo will move at all, and once it has a train attached it can barely get up the hill out of the station.

Now as a steam buff I know that diesels aren't very good, but... I have checked the subordinate diaplays which seem to show both locos powered and with the brakes off, and both belch smoke when the throttle is applied.

I am running X4173.

#2 User is offline   slipperman 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & ORTS

Posted 16 August 2018 - 10:37 AM

Hi (Sorry, I don't know your name!),
I think the problem is that those Class 40s have their Brake_Equipment_Type and Brake_System_Type shown as Vacuum, but the Engine section also contains Air and Dynamic braking values.

Changing the above parameters to Air enables the locos to move reasonably well, and, surprisingly, when coupled to the coaches, they run OK!!

I found the loco very difficult to control, particularly the brakes, but that's probably because other parameters require changing. It also needed <Shift+/> to be pressed to initialise the brakes.

Also, when coupled to the coaches, F10 indicated that passenger loading would be completed in 17 minutes! That is the time the train should have arrived at the next station!

I'm sorry, but I can't offer any other help as I'm not up-to-speed on all the requirements of Open Rails (yet!).

(Open Rails X4168 - Windows 7 Pro 64bit)

Cheers,
Ged

#3 User is offline   beresford 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:msts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 12:01 AM

View Postslipperman, on 16 August 2018 - 10:37 AM, said:

Hi (Sorry, I don't know your name!),
I think the problem is that those Class 40s have their Brake_Equipment_Type and Brake_System_Type shown as Vacuum, but the Engine section also contains Air and Dynamic braking values.

Changing the above parameters to Air enables the locos to move reasonably well, and, surprisingly, when coupled to the coaches, they run OK!!

I found the loco very difficult to control, particularly the brakes, but that's probably because other parameters require changing. It also needed <Shift+/> to be pressed to initialise the brakes.

Also, when coupled to the coaches, F10 indicated that passenger loading would be completed in 17 minutes! That is the time the train should have arrived at the next station!

I'm sorry, but I can't offer any other help as I'm not up-to-speed on all the requirements of Open Rails (yet!).

(Open Rails X4168 - Windows 7 Pro 64bit)

Cheers,
Ged

Thanks. I often find myself using the 'initialise brakes' combo too. When I coupled to the coaches (with the unadjusted locos), the passenger loading was fine.

#4 User is offline   dennisat 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails & MSTS

Posted 17 August 2018 - 12:03 AM

View Postslipperman, on 16 August 2018 - 10:37 AM, said:

Ged

I think that if a loco is defined as having an independent engine brake as well as a train brake, when you're running light engine it will only respond to the engine brake not the train brake. When you're coupled to your train, then the train brake works as expected. Also, if the engine brake parameters are badly defined, you'll have problems.

Dennis

#5 User is offline   ErickC 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 17 August 2018 - 02:11 PM

View Postberesford, on 16 August 2018 - 05:31 AM, said:

Now as a steam buff I know that diesels aren't very good, but... I have checked the subordinate diaplays which seem to show both locos powered and with the brakes off, and both belch smoke when the throttle is applied.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. At 183,000-lb starting TE, a run-of-the-mill ES44 can start more train than any steam locomotive but the experimental Virginian triplex, and, with its AC motors and wheel creep, will keep that train going up the hill while the steamer spins its wheels and looks for a helper. Yes, that includes the famous Big Boy and Challenger types.

The steamer will get the train moving faster once its had some help getting the train started, though... unless you have a pair of ES44s.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users