Elvas Tower: Additional Train Forces - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Additional Train Forces Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 02 August 2018 - 11:00 AM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 02 August 2018 - 10:48 AM, said:

Is that effort to pump data into an html broadcast stalled or did I miss the rollout? It could be configured for that too.

Good idea.

Yes, my input to the HTML broadcast is on hold while I'm working on Self-Installing Content. They are both worthy projects, but I think the Self-Installing Content will have more impact for Open Rails in the long term, so it's now top of my list.

#12 User is online   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 August 2018 - 11:42 AM

View Poststeamer_ctn, on 02 August 2018 - 01:09 AM, said:

...Given that there was extensive discussion (see accompanying thread) I don't believe that it is appropriate to reinstall it into the main HUD....
Thanks

Getting this message from thread link,

[#10342] We could not determine which forum this topic is in
Could you post the actual thread, please. Thanks.
i support adding this to the Advanced forces HUD, that would be beneficial, also with the car push/pull symbols.
Well never mind...just did a little looking and discovered it was a private developers thread that is referenced...So the question is...Why was the coupler slack removed? Any reasoning that can be made public?
http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sign_thank_you.gif

#13 User is offline   Hamza97 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 02 August 2018 - 07:38 PM

I would also support the addition of this feature... However I would personally like to have it on Main HUD only. Maybe a short truncated version on main HUD and extended information on F5 FORCE Information HUD...??

#14 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 03 August 2018 - 09:46 AM

View PostR H Steele, on 02 August 2018 - 11:42 AM, said:

Getting this message from thread link, Could you post the actual thread, please. Thanks.
i support adding this to the Advanced forces HUD, that would be beneficial, also with the car push/pull symbols.
Well never mind...just did a little looking and discovered it was a private developers thread that is referenced...So the question is...Why was the coupler slack removed? Any reasoning that can be made public?
http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sign_thank_you.gif

It was a general HUD clean-up (for this blueprint), where I suggested a load of things that were in the HUD should be moved into the advanced pages, as they were either not necessary to see constantly, unintelligible to non-technical users, and the like.

Nothing was supposed to be removed, but it looks like the two coupler values did get lost in the shuffle. Sorry about that!

I'm happy for them to be added onto whichever advanced page makes the most sense, or a new page to be created if none makes sense.

#15 User is online   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:38 AM

View PostJames Ross, on 03 August 2018 - 09:46 AM, said:

It was a general HUD clean-up (for this blueprint), where I suggested a load of things that were in the HUD should be moved into the advanced pages, as they were either not necessary to see constantly, unintelligible to non-technical users, and the like.

Nothing was supposed to be removed, but it looks like the two coupler values did get lost in the shuffle. Sorry about that!

I'm happy for them to be added onto whichever advanced page makes the most sense, or a new page to be created if none makes sense.

http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sign_thank_you.gif James, http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/hi.gif

#16 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 August 2018 - 01:59 PM

View PostJames Ross, on 03 August 2018 - 09:46 AM, said:

Somebody mentioned showing each whether each coupler was pulled out, pushed in, or loose (on the node). If that could be displayed for the entire train we can see all that is going on (and it might be rather helpful to Peter when he gets around to working on buff and draft forces).

WRT showing an entire train, maybe multiple columns? Coupler state - unit id - Coupler state with a different color when the unit is a locomotive.

And if you are going to be dishing out the goodies, a bowl of chocolate ice cream too, please. :dance:
:sign_thanks:

#17 User is offline   Mike B 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:Mostly ORTS these days

Posted 03 August 2018 - 08:23 PM

I kind of liked what was originally shown as a summary: amount of slack, #cars bunched/stretched, and indicator of the whole train bunched or stretched. Matters for train control and lading damage (you kind of want it all bunched before going to full dynamic; stretching it too fast can break things). Having that summary in the details page, followed by (if done) the car-by-car forces data.

#18 User is offline   superheatedsteam 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 04 August 2018 - 08:27 PM

How is it envisaged to display this data?

Currently the 'Brake Information' and 'Force Information' HUD displays only show the first ~45 cars in the train depending on number of locos in consist and screen resolution. The 'Consist Information' screen only has data for the first 19 cars in the train. For those of us testing long freight trains what is happening further back is unknown. Is there an option to scroll through all the cars in the train in the HUD that I'm missing?

Note that when running with very long trains with distributed power, the 'Locomotive Information' HUD displays all locomotives in the train which is great.

My I suggest adding a configuration file (or some other method) where a tester can select which cars to display in the HUD up to the current ~45 line limit like the Locomotive Information HUD? Alternately allowing some way to scroll throughout all the cars in the train for all the advanced HUD displays if not already present would assist testers.

Cheers,

Marek.

#19 User is online   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 05 August 2018 - 11:47 PM

As part of this blueprint I have re-inserted coupler indication back into the FORCES INFORMATION HUD as per the attached screenshot in the column to the right of coupler. It will show whether the coupler is in PUSH or PULL, or whether it is OVERLOADED.

I can understand the issue raised with long trains, and agree that it would be nice to have some sort of scroll feature on this, and the other HUDs, however I am not familiar enough with the code to make these changes, and am happy to hand any scroll type changes off to another developer.

If no one is able to look at the scroll option, then perhaps a work around would be to have a "Short/Long Train Display" check box in the options menu. In the SHORT mode the display would show every car in the train, as is currently the case. For LONG trains, the display would display, say every 3rd car.

The addition of the "Short/Long Train Display" check box is not my preferred option, as I personally believe that we have far too many options in the options menu, however it depends the alternatives that are available and the support that it gets.

Please note that this change is currently not available in the Beta build at this time.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: slack_2.jpg

#20 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 August 2018 - 08:18 AM

Peter, any chance you can be talked into adding yet another screen display, this one showing multiple columns containing only car number and slack/buff status? You can probably fit even a very long train that way, especially if the header data is skimpy.

WRT the above screen, it never made any sense to me to show a negative coupler force because the car is flipped. A negative value should be reserved for pushing cars, don't you think?

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users