• You cannot reply to this topic

Both file name and Name() used. Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 15 July 2018 - 11:09 AM

Edward,
FYI: Every Consist Editor from the one in the MSTS AE to Goku's new CE and in the menus of MSTS and ORTS in lists of Trainset items list the Contents of the Name line or the filename if there is no Name line in the file.

#12 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 15 July 2018 - 11:25 AM

So, I know that OR does not use the Name() tag, but this does not change the fact there is a problem. I removed the OpenRails folder and the editor is still having problems. The use of the Name() is common, not rare. Unless the use of it is forbidden.

The original files do not have the Name() tag, but the files are still having issues with the editor.

Edit: In this case the issue is still pointing to the CommentToken tag being the issue since I only removed it from the OpenRails folder. I wonder if I removed all of them. I will continue to test these files

#13 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 15 July 2018 - 11:34 AM

I see no issues with files you send me. Except the double tag of course.
If you have something else in mind, send proper files and describe it better or stop complaining about non-existing errors.
The Name tag works 100% fine for me. Look at the pic above.

#14 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 15 July 2018 - 11:35 AM

View Postedwardk, on 15 July 2018 - 11:25 AM, said:

So, I know that OR does not use the Name() tag, but this does not change the fact there is a problem. I removed the OpenRails folder and the editor is still having problems. The use of the Name() is common, not rare. Unless the use of it is forbidden.

The original files do not have the Name() tag, but the files are still having issues with the editor.
What issues? A picture is worth a 1000 words. Since Windows 7 a program has been named "Snipping Tool" has been included with Windows. It can be used to clip a small portion of a window and create a small JPG to post on the forum.

Also it might be helpful if you would upload just the WAG file of one of the problem files. At the least you might find out that the problem is unique to your PC.

#15 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 15 July 2018 - 11:52 AM

View PostGoku, on 15 July 2018 - 11:34 AM, said:

I see no issues with files you send me. Except the double tag of course.
If you have something else in mind, send proper files and describe it better or stop complaining about non-existing errors.
The Name tag works 100% fine for me. Look at the pic above.

In my case, the errors are not non-existing, but I guess I just I have to blame my system instead.

#16 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 15 July 2018 - 11:56 AM

Ed, what Charles said, please.

#17 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 15 July 2018 - 12:07 PM

View Postedwardk, on 15 July 2018 - 11:52 AM, said:

In my case, the errors are not non-existing, but I guess I just I have to blame my system instead.

Here is my picture:

https://i.imgur.com/FUItGSS.png

Maybe your changes to double Tag were not saved. Or maybe you did wrong something else.
I know that you can describe bugs the good way, because you provided good data for RE Signals bugs, so try better here.

#18 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 15 July 2018 - 12:26 PM

The official cause was the "CommentToken" entry. I initially thought I removed all entries, but it turned out I did not. Everything works, including the Name() tag.

#19 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 15 July 2018 - 08:10 PM

Well, I think there may be something here that's worth a few more posts.

AFAICT, nowhere does the con editor display the value contained in Name(). What is displayed is the file name and string that immediately follows "Wagon (". I suppose that is also true for both .wags and .engs.

IIRC in the MSTS days there was a requirement that the string that followed "Wagon (" was supposed to be the same as the file name. I always thought that was pretty stupid but hey, it was Kuju and not their first imbecility.

Here is the dilemma I see: If we are supposed to put in the value of the file name, why bother displaying it twice in the con editor? Or, if we can do whatever comes to mind, we could enter what is in Name(), right? Except that we already have Name(). So what useful third value is there to use? <silence>. That's the issue I'm raising.

Goku is using this string in the scrollable column of data AND is displaying it under the picture of the model. He's not using Name() anywhere. Should Name() be displayed? In the scrollable column? Under the model? For myself I'd like to see it in teh scrollable column (along with the ability to stretch that column left of right.

Now I understand that's an entirely subjective opinion and that other people will have perfectly legitimate reasons for their own preferred data. I'm just not seeing any sense in using what comes after Wagon.

Questions:
  • Have I correctly recalled that in the old days we were supposed to do Wagon ( filename?
  • Where did MSTS display the value of Name()?
  • What did Conbuilder display?

#20 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 15 July 2018 - 11:53 PM

TSRE displays Name Tag everywhere. Why are you making posts without even checking it.
If Name Tag is missing then TSRE uses Wagon string for a name.

TSRE assumes that string after Wagon Tag is a filename. It should be filename. For nice name you have Name Tag. I think that it should work if you put different value than real filename after Wagon Tag, but it is not recommended.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users