• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Manually operated signals Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   QJ-6811 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS / Open Rails

Posted 14 July 2018 - 04:15 AM

In X4152, last days every day a few hours driven with the same train and route. (due to the test of locomotive settings and the discovery of the route).

The first 5 days driven, everything in Explore mode, signals are automatically "green". (as long as path is free, etc.). So everything "as usual".

However, on the 6th day I started again (start via RESUME) and after some shunting work the signals remained "red". By TAB I could put signal on "green".
In short, ever since the last days I have always all exit signals and entry signals in stations "red" (I suspect the 'absolute signals'), until I make them 'free' again by TAB. Sometimes in stations (at 1st start or shunting) I first have to go to manual mode (CTR-M).
(Remember, I drive in Explore mode! :ko2: )
Along the track all signals are "green" until the next entry signal at a station, which you can then pre-operate by putting TAB back on safe. At 2x times TAB the next signal (usually exit signal) is put on safe, and so on, everything within reach of the train.

This is a fantastic feature!! :) :) However ....... Does anyone know how and which key combination is needed for this? (probably accidentally applied this, but do not remember which ......?) :(
So when I start up via RESUM, I always have this function available.
If I start the same train (consist) and route via START everything is "as usual" again.(?)

(Should this be a one-time bug, this would be a great pity, and a missed feature ....... Or I have missed something for years... :( )

#2 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OR/TSRE

Posted 14 July 2018 - 06:43 AM

What is the route? Several signal systems originally designed for MSTS have had issues with clearing signals in explore mode. Though, it seems odd that all signals of certain types would consistently have that happen. I've had to break out dispatcher mode to clear a few because not even TAB would clear them. Mind you, I haven't updated my testing version in some time.

Can you activate manual mode while driving in explore mode now?

#3 User is offline   QJ-6811 

• Conductor

Posted 14 July 2018 - 08:18 AM

The route is the "TRAT321" (http://www.trat321.cz/).
But I do not immediately think it is a route issue.(?) Equal signals are on a large part of the route, and in the first period I drove an equal part in "Explorer mode as normal". After I stopped and SAVE, I started the next day with RESUME and I had this phenomenon. (?)

If I restart the saved part with RESUME, or from this ride days after, I can indeed go to manual mode, but when I start again via START (in explore mode) I can not go to manual mode. (you also get the rejection that this is not possible)

It seems like I was in explore mode and OR was switched (for whatever reason) to a kind of "activity / manual" mode?
The only thing I can think of is that I then used a "wrong key combination", only I can not find a combination between "explore" and a kind of "explore activity / manual" mode?

I'm going to start again tomorrow before the starting point / station and see if I can repeat the error? :search:

#4 User is offline   QJ-6811 

• Conductor

Posted 15 July 2018 - 12:07 AM

I did another test yesterday, equal path, stops in station and shunting, save and resume as at that time. Now everything remains normal as usual in Explorer mode, so all signals are automatically "green".
Unfortunately, I had already deleted the save point at the time, just before this "manual-mode option" started. But this 'manual mode' will continue to work at my successive saved points. (!?)

Conclusion that it is not a route issue, but that OR-for whatever reason- has been switched to "manual mode"?

If someone knows how to switch from explorer mode to manual mode (like CTR-M), then I would love to hear it! :)
(and otherwise this is a wonderful -new? -application, it has been proven for a few days and many kilometers that it works well ......... !!)

#5 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 15 July 2018 - 12:24 PM

I thought that Explorer Mode and Manual Mode have the same operational characteristics. Is this in error?

regards,vince

#6 User is offline   eugenR 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 15 July 2018 - 10:24 PM

View Postvince, on 15 July 2018 - 12:24 PM, said:

I thought that Explorer Mode and Manual Mode have the same operational characteristics. Is this in error?

regards,vince

The differeces between this modes are given in the Manual Chapter 10.3.2 and 10.3.4

Regards
EugenR

#7 User is offline   QJ-6811 

• Conductor

Posted 18 July 2018 - 12:55 AM

View PosteugenR, on 15 July 2018 - 10:24 PM, said:

The differeces between this modes are given in the Manual Chapter 10.3.2 and 10.3.4

True, Manual-mode does indeed work as described here in the manual.
As is probably the intention, manual mode is used to temporarily leave your path, shunting or refueling, etc. And then again to continue with your auto-pad, so your activity. OK!
But then you always need or create an activity first ....... :(
Tested once today via a start with an activity, also here in manual-mode you can deviate miles from your route, or turn around in the opposite direction. In other words, you do not have to stay "close" to your activity path. That is a fine conclusion.

Whatever happens is in my case in Explorer mode at the time, my remaining question remains:

Why can not you switch to Manual mode when you drive in Explorer mode?

This in particular to be able to influence the signals (TAB) and also to get some variations such as at stations (signal red at entry or end of platform) and not an endless "green, green, green".
This can be a very nice option / facility for many routes and I see no reason why this I blocked? It seems to work well for a mile-long ride.... :D

#8 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 18 July 2018 - 08:15 AM

View PostQJ-6811, on 18 July 2018 - 12:55 AM, said:

Why can not you switch to Manual mode when you drive in Explorer mode?...

Explorer mode by default is always in manual mode. Automatic mode is reserved for activities.Manual mode ( Ctrl+M) is also used to reset the emergency brakes, when in explorer mode ( if some situation arises where the emergency brakes are triggered.)
Reading the manual will go a long way in answering all your questions, specific to this line of inquiry is Sec 10.3 - "Control Mode"
I understand your idea about the signals...while this suggestion may not satisfy, you could use the Dispatch Viewer window to change signal to anything you wish.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users