• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

START/STOP key in 3dcab Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   Coolhand101 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 27 April 2019 - 04:17 PM

Having the engine off, when the loco is not moving at activity start is not a bad ideal, as it gives more usage of the engine start features and cab controls. This use to be possible when using the ORTS engine a while ago.

Obviously if the engine/train is on the move at activity start, then the engine should always be running. Yes I know in the real world, engines are left running most of the time, so maybe having a 'cold start' menu option for diesel/electric engines could cater for every ones preferences, the latter for the state of the pantograph and for 3rd rail electrics, where the units were 'cut-in', 95% of the time!

Thanks

#32 User is offline   ErickC 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 27 April 2019 - 09:06 PM

I don't think that's really the right way of looking at things. Things that go in the eng file ought to be things that distinguish one locomotive from another. Locomotives don't change whether they're running when you encounter them based on what they are. However, the scenario in which you come across a locomotive does. Therefore, it's most logical to define the engine state by scenario. The idea behind the physics is to produce a facsimile of real-world trains, not to highlight what the sim is capable of doing. It's a question of purpose. Let things that are defined by the locomotive be in the physics, let things that are defined by the scenario be in activity files.

#33 User is offline   Coolhand101 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 28 April 2019 - 01:32 AM

ErickC, on 27 April 2019 - 09:06 PM, said:

I don't think that's really the right way of looking at things. Things that go in the eng file ought to be things that distinguish one locomotive from another. Locomotives don't change whether they're running when you encounter them based on what they are. However, the scenario in which you come across a locomotive does. Therefore, it's most logical to define the engine state by scenario. The idea behind the physics is to produce a facsimile of real-world trains, not to highlight what the sim is capable of doing. It's a question of purpose. Let things that are defined by the locomotive be in the physics, let things that are defined by the scenario be in activity files.

I do agree as I'm 100% for authenticity but it's trying to find the right solution for everyone's preferences. As I said, a cold start option might be the best all round, ie checked for engine off, checked for engine running, even in explore mode. This way, no addition parameters need to be inserted in the ENG file. And yes, the state of the engine running or not via the activity is also a good ideal, ie for a passenger train leaving in a minute from activity start, the engine should be running. If starting in a shed,depot,stabling point, the engine could be off.

I be interested to know what the steam users do when this method of activity starting, whenever the steam 'cold start' is checked or unchecked?

Thanks

#34 User is offline   Lamplighter 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 31 August 2020 - 09:11 AM

Each traction (locomotive) must be activated in some way before driving.
Simplified:
- Steam locomotive by heating the boiler furnace, producing steam at the required pressure and releasing it into the cylinders. However, the initial fire-up of the firebox can be omitted by setting the OR behavior.
- The electric locomotive must lift the pantograph and turn on the main switch. Only then will he come to life and start driving.
- Unlike the two previous ones, a diesel locomotive always starts ready with the engine running. Why does he have this privilege? Why can't he start from scratch - by starting the engine?
After all, activities can use all three tractions (steam, electric and diesel) in the same way.
I know why. Diesel-electric locomotives are a bit of Cinderella in the OR.

#35 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 31 August 2020 - 09:45 AM

Lamplighter, on 31 August 2020 - 09:11 AM, said:

I know why. Diesel-electric locomotives are a bit of Cinderella in the OR.

Really? I hadn't noticed.

What else needs attention before these Cindarellas can go to the ball?

#36 User is offline   Lamplighter 

• Fireman

Posted 31 August 2020 - 10:17 AM

This was to be an allusion to the fact that diesel-electric locomotives are lagging behind a bit.
Not only because they start with the engine running.
Many diesel-electric locomotives presented for Open Rails have only slightly improved MSTS settings.
These settings lack the parameters typical for OR diesel-electric traction (section of the engine, generator and traction motors, traction curves, driving resistances, etc.)
In return, they contain a lot of unused (OR ignored parameters). That's why Cinderella.
But honor the exceptions.

#37 User is offline   VAPOR3D 

• Conductor

Posted 10 December 2020 - 11:36 AM

One question:

Do you have to retouch the .eng file at any point to declare the existence of a second motor in the player's diesel locomotive?

Thank you...

#38 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 11 December 2020 - 12:45 AM

I don’t agree with it, as well as skipping the pantograph setting. In MSTS times, I had a lot of electric locomotives that started from the workshop with the pantograph lowered. These were usually for your freight train tasks. The rest were set up with the receiver picked up, and I used these locomotives for fixed passenger train assemblies. I set these in the eng file. It was sorely missed when OR appeared. I could imagine something similar to diesel locomotives.

#39 User is offline   VAPOR3D 

• Conductor

Posted 03 December 2021 - 12:49 PM

Another question:

Is it possible to start the simulation with the diesel engines stopped?

Thank you!

#40 User is offline   VAPOR3D 

• Conductor

Posted 04 December 2021 - 04:16 PM

Weter, on 03 December 2021 - 10:34 PM, said:

Yes, two month ago, such checkbox was introduced in options menu.

You can define multiple diesel engines per locomotive, using ORTS diesel engine () blocks of the *.eng-file.

Hi Weter!

Yes, I knew about declaring two engines in .eng, but I haven't tried it yet. Maybe then I can turn a second engine on and off from the HELPERS switch in the cab.

What I didn't know about is the checkbox in Options to start with the engines off. It works, but the engine sounds start playing. I will also have to investigate how to make it so that they don't sound until I press the start switch.

Thank you very much!

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users