• You cannot reply to this topic

One question (6/29/18) Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   andoodle 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, Open Rails, TSClassic

Posted 29 June 2018 - 03:31 PM

Pardon me, everyone.

I have one question for today. In the future, would this project have an individual achievement system (I am NOT referring to Xbox Live achievements or Steam achievements, mind you), just like Microsoft Flight Simulator X? The reason I asked is because there are some gamers who might like a challenge, in which they can be happy upon winning said challenge. I am sorry for bothering every one of you by asking this, but I felt that I needed to get it off my chest. Thank you for your time.

#2 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 29 June 2018 - 04:49 PM

There is no winner for getting there first, this in not a race.

I can only see we can evaluate efficiency, something like tonne * miles / gallon.

#3 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OR/TSRE

Posted 29 June 2018 - 05:28 PM

Maybe adherance to a schedule (mostly for passenger trains), or how much you delay other trains, or maybe even adherance to speed limits, like staying near to, but just below the speed limit for a certain percentage of the time). That latter one seems to be doable already, as the track monitor indicates when you're close to the speed limit.

I don't know that I need a gold star for not being late to stations, but some people might like that kind of experience. As long as they aren't like those "easter eggs" that I hear DTG puts in their games. Easter eggs should really be silly things route-builders hide in routes that you stumble across and get a laugh out of, not things you actively hunt for to get points while driving. That's how accidents happen

#4 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 30 June 2018 - 10:48 AM

Well in real life you have "weed weasels" -- managers hiding in the bushes who test your rules compliance. Often they'll do things like throw a signal red without an approach. In the old days they put torpedoes on the track and watched if you stopped. So you could have random moments to test rules compliance (including speed limit). Failure would mean 30 days off . . . (just kidding).
Christopher

#5 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OR/TSRE

Posted 30 June 2018 - 11:38 AM

I've heard stories of one of them who would shunt drop a block signal to red and place a cutout of a boxcar end on the track around the corner from the signal to see if, once you passed the signal, they actually stopped within half the range of vision of it, as is required. Well, it was the only reason that signal would ever be red, in particular for southbound trains (this spot was less than 30 miles from the initial terminal on the north end of the line, so it would be unlikely that there'd already be a train in front of you) so they immediately knew what was up. It got to the point that when they saw the signal was red, the conductor would lean off the side of the engine, and as soon as the cutout was visible, they would stop

#6 User is offline   andoodle 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, Open Rails, TSClassic

Posted 30 June 2018 - 01:30 PM

Wait a second. what I am talking about are in-game achievements, which you can earn as you play the game.

#7 User is online   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 30 June 2018 - 05:12 PM

View Postebnertra000, on 29 June 2018 - 05:28 PM, said:

... Easter eggs should really be silly things route-builders hide in routes that you stumble across and get a laugh out of, not things you actively hunt for to get points while driving.

I've been looking for easter eggs in routes for years, the obvious ones would be sunken ships under bodies of water...nothing...very disappointing.The closest I've come to finding easter eggs is some of the clever stuff in the seaview route, and of the course...the classic from one of the masters --- the flying saucer in the Monon.The first time I saw that, i didn't believe it...at the time I did not understand how the animation worked...the circular pattern it flew...so when i looked for it it wasn't there. Pretty funny, thought I was seeing things.

#8 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 30 June 2018 - 05:25 PM

View Postandoodle, on 30 June 2018 - 01:30 PM, said:

Wait a second. what I am talking about are in-game achievements, which you can earn as you play the game.
Well, completing an activity successfully is an achievement, and as has already been mentioned, keeping to a timetable.Are you thinking of adding to that?

regards,vince

#9 User is offline   ErickC 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 30 June 2018 - 08:02 PM

I think that you're going to find that the average OR user is less inclined to scoring points and more inclined to operations. I doubt any kind of scoring/achievement system would be a high priority.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users