• You cannot reply to this topic

Possible Terrain Bug Holes created in terrain when using TSRE Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   joe_star 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 16 June 2018 - 08:07 PM

Hi Goku/all,

Encountered the issue as below when using TSRE.It has happened a couple of times now & quite an easy fix so far with the "Flatten" tool. I initially thought it was holes in my DEM,but when I checked a version of the route prior to editing with TSRE, the holes arent there.They look almost identical to the "DEM hole"artifacts with SRTM data.

Note the terrain was originally created with DEMEX, none of this was created with TSRE, but I have been extensively modifying the terrain lately using TSRE. They seem to appear randomly on or nearby tiles close to where I am editing.

https://preview.ibb.co/bz6ucy/demhole1.png
https://preview.ibb.co/hLGGqJ/demhole2.png
https://preview.ibb.co/mvrGqJ/demhole3.png
https://preview.ibb.co/hYhd4d/demhole4.png

#2 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 16 June 2018 - 11:35 PM

The holes are probably DEM errors. You don't see them in MSRE because MSTS uses low terrain resolution far from tracks and 8 m resolution only around track. TSRE sets 8 m resolution around each edit.

#3 User is offline   joe_star 

• Fireman

Posted 17 June 2018 - 02:08 AM

View PostGoku, on 16 June 2018 - 11:35 PM, said:

The holes are probably DEM errors. You don't see them in MSRE because MSTS uses low terrain resolution far from tracks and 8 m resolution only around track. TSRE sets 8 m resolution around each edit.

Hello Goku,

Initially I thought as much, but I have re-checked an older version of the route (around half a year ago, but work-wise maybe 15 edits prior) WITH TSRE & the holes are not there, i.e. meaning its unlikely an issue with the source data.

Its a shame that I cant pinpoint when exactly this happened. I have been so comfortable with TSRE lately that I have been a little lax with the backups. Just spent better part of the day scouring the entire route and found around 10 or so of these artifacts, mostly in tiles where I have recently been editing terrain in TSRE. Fixed them by using "Flatten"and nursed the vertex back up to normal.

Am using TSRE5_v0.6957.exe. If anyone else has seen do share, I didnt know myself until I randomly "peeked" under the terrain & saw them

#4 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OR/TSRE

Posted 17 June 2018 - 06:27 AM

Joe,

I typically have those happen around lat/lon lines in my DEM data. Since my route is heavily forested, it isn't very noticable unless the protrusions point up rather than down (most point down). I can actually see them in the greyscale image that pops up showing the extracted terrain profile. It also lets you see any world projection errors, since the spikes should run due north-south or east-west

#5 User is offline   joe_star 

• Fireman

Posted 17 June 2018 - 11:41 PM

View Postebnertra000, on 17 June 2018 - 06:27 AM, said:

Joe,

I typically have those happen around lat/lon lines in my DEM data. Since my route is heavily forested, it isn't very noticable unless the protrusions point up rather than down (most point down). I can actually see them in the greyscale image that pops up showing the extracted terrain profile. It also lets you see any world projection errors, since the spikes should run due north-south or east-west

As i mentioned before, that was my initial assumption as well, DEM errors.

However, on re-examining an older version of the route (with TSRE mind you), these spikes are just not there!

They seem to have been introduced somehow by editing & saving terrain in TSRE, rather than any defect in the source DEM data

#6 User is offline   joe_star 

• Fireman

Posted 18 June 2018 - 12:33 AM

To emphasize my point, heres another 1 that just opened up! And you can actually see theres track under it so its not an isolated place that I missed before!

This happened now on a tile just next to 1 where i was doing terrain editing.

Note just yesterday I had run the entire route in TSRE with no such artifacts present!

https://preview.ibb.co/mhiuvJ/hole.jpg

Also,I'm now faced with another issue in that tile where I cant seem to use the "F" key anymore to create embankments & cuttings.No settings seem to work!

#7 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 18 June 2018 - 03:23 AM

More details about the F key?

#8 User is offline   joe_star 

• Fireman

Posted 18 June 2018 - 04:14 AM

View PostGoku, on 18 June 2018 - 03:23 AM, said:

More details about the F key?

Using the "F" key to make embankments or cuttings stopped working completely sometimes, or yielded very strange results (embankments & cuts much larger than desired).

Following this I made a full backup of the wonky route & tried running a route riter ICHK on the route but it would fail halfway.

I then ran a Track DB rebuild in MSTS & ClrDB in Route Riter (lots of TDB errors in route riter).Now things seem to be back to normal with the F key.Just ran thru the route visually as well no spikes present now.

Let me know if you wish to see the route files,more than willing to share.

I have been working with interactives lately (sound regions,signals, & some experimentation in between). Could be all these many cumulative changes resulting in the bugs seen.

#9 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OR/TSRE

Posted 18 June 2018 - 09:03 AM

View Postjoe_star, on 18 June 2018 - 04:14 AM, said:

I then ran a Track DB rebuild in MSTS & ClrDB in Route Riter (lots of TDB errors in route riter).Now things seem to be back to normal with the F key.Just ran thru the route visually as well no spikes present now.

I have been working with interactives lately (sound regions,signals, & some experimentation in between). Could be all these many cumulative changes resulting in the bugs seen.

You don't mean to tell me that you did a TDB rebuild while interactives were in the route, do you? While that might not be the source of your terrain problems, it will eventually be the source of far more serious problems

#10 User is offline   joe_star 

• Fireman

Posted 27 June 2018 - 03:38 PM

Hello

Yes I did.

I have never had issues with this or past routes (fairly small, 50km-150km & not too complicated trackwork) doing TDB rebuilds or CLRDB ops, although my first preference is to go thru route riter rather than TDB rebuilding

Thats always a last choice only if no other option works or a recent backup available

I suppose ill put this away in the mystery box, and be more dilligent with my terrain backups

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users