Elvas Tower: New MSTS & Open Rails Installation - Some Issues - Elvas Tower

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New MSTS & Open Rails Installation - Some Issues Sort of long, maybe too may details Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   cdressel 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:MSTS & Open Rails

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:03 AM

Hi Everyone,

Notebook Computer:
Intel Core i7-7700HQ
Intel HD Graphics 630
nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Screen resolution: 1920 x 1080
Memory 16 GB
Windows 10 Pro

New installation of MSTS, from original CD’s, using guide from website Steam4me. MSTS is in separate folder on hard drive, not in Program Files (86)
Start command: C:\MSTS\train.exe –mem:2048
Plus, misc. downloaded trainsets, primarily steam locomotives
(Note: Most, but not all, use Cabview based on “SVRy16.cvf”)

New installation of Open Rails, Version 1.2.3766
Display Option: 1280 x 1024

I have always run MSTS on a laptop computer. I bought MSTS when it was first released in 2001. I never really had any major problems before. I just bought a new laptop and installed MSTS and Open Rails. The new laptop “should” have plenty of horsepower but the MSTS installation just doesn’t seem right, and the Open Rails installation is acting “flaky”. I suspect my hardware may have something to do with my problems.

1. When starting MSTS, it seems to take an inordinate length of time to load. The splash screen displays, but only after a long pause where the rotating circle shows data loading. But, eventually, the program starts and seems to work properly, except it also seems to take a long time to load the Route I choose. No matter what downloaded steam locomotives I choose, everything seems to work properly.

2. Open Rails seems to work properly for all the default MSTS Routes and locomotives. However, Open Rails doesn’t display at least one item properly when using most downloaded steam locomotives. In a steam locomotive cab, while the brake handles and regulator work properly, I cannot get the reverser to “move” using a mouse. All it does is throw up a black horizontal bar that shows the percentage forward or reverse. I then have to use the ‘W’ and ‘S’ keys to move the reverser. When I use the keys, the reverser image in the cab does move, but in large “jumps”. This seems to happen with any Cabview based on “SVRy16.cvf”. Steam locomotive “k36_481.zip”, “k36_483.zip” and “k36_487.zip” (From Train-sim.com) seems to work properly.

So, is this a Cabview problem? I suppose I could just copy the Cabview that works properly to the locomotives having problems. Is that the easiest way to correct the issues? I’m just confused because these problems didn’t show up until I changed hardware.

I suppose I could go back and delete everything and try again, but I’d like to get some ideas what may be happening. Using the nVidia Control panel, both Open Rails and ‘Train.exe’ use the nVidia GPU. I’ve tried changing them to the Intel GPU but it doesn’t seem to make any difference.

Thanks for listening.

Chuck

#2 User is offline   ckawahara 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:11 AM

Not well versed on notebook/tablet/laptop running of MSTS/OR, and since you have verified that the nvidia gpu is being used, and you mention a delay in loading, was wondering if you have some type of malware/antivirus running that is perhaps doing a scan of each file as it is called/loaded. Also is the gpu sharing memory with the system, perhaps adding to the need to do file swapping?

I personally do not think that doing a reinstallation will be of any bebefit. If there was a file failure, MSTS/OR would probably not be running at all. OR not using the MSTS executables would probably not report any issues. It would report rollingstock issues and since you did not report any, they are probably ok. I do know that OR handles things differently so some oddities would not necessarily mean that the CVF's are corrupted.

#3 User is offline   Hobo 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OPEN RAILS & MSTS

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:43 AM

Look at the CVF file for that engine and see if MouseControl is 1 for the throttle .

#4 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 11 June 2018 - 12:27 PM

I second Craig's comment on anti-virus software... some of them will scan every file you open which, for large routes, can be a very long list of files. This was definitely a problem for me some years ago... every route suddenly got real slow.

#5 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:57 PM

Laptops will always present a problem with disk speed, being 5400 rpm usually.
I eventually put an ssd in my laptop, and I don't suffer any more disk speed issues.

MSTS is competing with the OS in a single disk system.

Check your disk usage with task manager to evaluate disk usage.

#6 User is offline   cdressel 

• Apprentice

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:08 PM

ckawahara, on 11 June 2018 - 10:11 AM, said:

Not well versed on notebook/tablet/laptop running of MSTS/OR, and since you have verified that the nvidia gpu is being used, and you mention a delay in loading, was wondering if you have some type of malware/antivirus running that is perhaps doing a scan of each file as it is called/loaded. Also is the gpu sharing memory with the system, perhaps adding to the need to do file swapping?

I personally do not think that doing a reinstallation will be of any bebefit. If there was a file failure, MSTS/OR would probably not be running at all. OR not using the MSTS executables would probably not report any issues. It would report rollingstock issues and since you did not report any, they are probably ok. I do know that OR handles things differently so some oddities would not necessarily mean that the CVF's are corrupted.

Thanks for giving me some ideas. I excluded the MSTS folder from scanning by both my anti-virus and Malwarebytes. MSTS now seems to load much faster and reliably. I had never thought about that before. Thanks much.
Chuck

#7 User is offline   cdressel 

• Apprentice

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:10 PM

Hobo, on 11 June 2018 - 10:43 AM, said:

Look at the CVF file for that engine and see if MouseControl is 1 for the throttle .

After checking, MouseControl was set to 1 for all actions required. I'm just learning a bit more about how all this works, so this gives me some ideas to investigate. Thanks.
Chuck

#8 User is offline   cdressel 

• Apprentice

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:11 PM

Genma Saotome, on 11 June 2018 - 12:27 PM, said:

I second Craig's comment on anti-virus software... some of them will scan every file you open which, for large routes, can be a very long list of files. This was definitely a problem for me some years ago... every route suddenly got real slow.

Yes, as I replied above, I excluded the MSTS folder from scanning by both my anti-virus and Malwarebytes. MSTS now seems to load much faster and reliably. I had never thought about that before. Thanks.
Chuck

#9 User is offline   cdressel 

• Apprentice

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:22 PM

engmod, on 11 June 2018 - 01:57 PM, said:

Laptops will always present a problem with disk speed, being 5400 rpm usually.
I eventually put an ssd in my laptop, and I don't suffer any more disk speed issues.

MSTS is competing with the OS in a single disk system.

Check your disk usage with task manager to evaluate disk usage.

Thanks for the ideas, but disk speed shouldn't be an issue. My "hard drive" is an 512 GB "NVMe M.2 SSD", at up to 2200 MB/s speed. I also have an "ordinary" SATA SSD installed as a second drive, at up to about 500 MB/s, but the NVMe is blazingly fast. This is a purpose-built gaming laptop (MSI).

Task Manager shows the CPU sort of loafing along. The nVidia GTX 1060 has it's own 3 GB RAM. Maybe I need to look at the nVidia antialiasing settings.

Thanks,
Chuck

#10 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 12 June 2018 - 01:20 AM

Are you absolutely sure that when MSTS or OR are running that the Nvidia system is used instead of the Intel one. Some laptops have an auto system that switches between the two, others have to be done manually following manufacturers instructions.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users