• You cannot reply to this topic

Wheels don't always follow the track? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   SP 0-6-0 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/ORTS

Posted 14 May 2018 - 02:12 PM

Carlo, This is a question for you?

I followed your advice on using the turntable and letting it pop into place. As you can see the rails are not completely lined up with the approach to the round house. As a result when the loco comes off the turntable it's wheels are now off the rails. The loco does not jump over to be aligned with the fixed track piece. I know that jumping is not very prototypical from MSTS but atleast the wheels tried to follow the rail more closely.

I hope the screenshots can explain my observations?

https://s5.postimg.cc/jmpqwybsn/Open_Rails_2018-05-14_04-57-06.png

https://s5.postimg.cc/xge3m0jtj/Open_Rails_2018-05-14_04-58-17.png

https://s5.postimg.cc/old9bi2qv/Open_Rails_2018-05-14_04-58-26.png

https://s5.postimg.cc/btz3508ef/Open_Rails_2018-05-14_05-01-05.png

Robert

#2 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:54 AM

Wheels don't follow the track as it can be seen, but the track path as defined in the .tdb file.
When a loco has at least a part of it outside of the turntable, the position of the loco is defined by the standard OR positioning software. The turntable software hasn't effect on loco positioning at that moment.

#3 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:31 AM

Csantucci, on 15 May 2018 - 08:54 AM, said:

Wheels don't follow the track as it can be seen, but the track path as defined in the .tdb file.
When a loco has at least a part of it outside of the turntable, the position of the loco is defined by the standard OR positioning software. The turntable software hasn't effect on loco positioning at that moment.

Looks like the OP snapped the TT to a track section that has a slightly shifted TDB relative to the track section. Delete and re install that section and then snap the TT to the track. Did that help?

The following applies to editing with TSRE5 v0.6957 and TT Tails of Altoona, Pennsylvania on the PRR East Route.
When I was installing the A1t42mTurntable(s) the turntable bowl/bridge ended up 'snapping' to the existing lead track about 0.3 m lower that the lead track track elevation.
I tried changing the 'Y' Offset value but saw no result.

Finally I snapped the TT assembly to the lead track and before I used the 'Z' key to add the TT to the TDB I manually raised the TT to visually align with the lead track elevation.
I observed this with both of the TT's I installed at this location, 2 adjacent tiles at Altoona.
I did NOT use the 27meter TT.
If I did not manually correct the vertical position the TDB yellow line had a serious 0.3m (30 centimeter or about 11.5 inch) step where it met the lead track. Attaching the TT to a different lead track section made no difference, the mis-align was still present.

This leads me to believe the A1t42mTurntable.s shape file has a problem with where it attaches to an external track section.

Manually raising the TT assembly ~0.3m made for smooth and reliable TT operation and the TDB yellow marker lines are smooth and level.
Note that my mis-alignment was vertical rather that a sideways mis-align the OP is suffering. This I do not see in the 42m TT.

regards,
vince

edit:add
I have found that sometimes for whatever reason the TDB line on a particular track section do not line up exactly but are somehow 'shifted' just a bit to one side or the other.

In these cases with the track section selected with repeated attempts to 're-snap' it will not 'snap' to the correct position to an installed track section.
It seems like the values defining the track section end points has somehow dropped a digit or two and it 'snaps' out of position.
This has happened several times usually when I was swapping track in and out looking for that perfect fit.

In these cases, de-selecting the loose track section that was mis-align snapping, and then selecting and de-selecting ANY other track section, and then selecting and dragging the original mis-align problem section it now line up perfectly. Something like the track numerical values got re-loaded and in then lines up correctly.

A heads up to all would be track gangs:

When Installing track carefully inspect the yellow TDB lines for perfect alignment.

This you get 99% of the sometimes for whatever reason sometimes a track attaches with an obvious mis-alignment of the TDB lines. STOP there and correct the problem using the de-select/re-select method I use.

And since the train actually runs on the TDB vectors that's where your mis-aligned track to turntable rears it's ugly head.
If you're using the MSTS editors ( I don't ) good luck.

regards,
vince

#4 User is offline   SP 0-6-0 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/ORTS

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:37 PM

Vince, the TT is the standard default 27m turntable and was placed in MSTS RE on this very old route. I did have some alignment issues in that area but the roundhouse leads were all placed after the turntable was in place. I did notice that the TT skirt is covering part of the track texture in MSTS RE but no amount of work can get the skirt to cover the track tex in ORTS? There seems to be a difference between the two programs.

Robert

#5 User is offline   xavivilla 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails - RailWorks

Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:35 PM

vince, on 15 May 2018 - 11:31 AM, said:

The following applies to editing with TSRE5 v0.6957 and TT Tails of Altoona, Pennsylvania on the PRR East Route.
When I was installing the A1t42mTurntable(s) the turntable bowl/bridge ended up 'snapping' to the existing lead track about 0.3 m lower that the lead track track elevation.

This also happens with the TT a1t27mturntable, when placing it with TSRE5 there is always about 0.3 meters sunk in the ground, having to raise it by hand until level with the track. I think this should be reviewed by Goku. I do not know if it happens with the TT n1t16mturntable.

#6 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:45 PM

SP 0-6-0, on 15 May 2018 - 12:37 PM, said:

Vince, the TT is the standard default 27m turntable and was placed in MSTS RE on this very old route. I did have some alignment issues in that area but the roundhouse leads were all placed after the turntable was in place. I did notice that the TT skirt is covering part of the track texture in MSTS RE but no amount of work can get the skirt to cover the track tex in ORTS? There seems to be a difference between the two programs.Robert

Hi Robert,

The Altoona TT was upgraded to a 42 meter unit and fitted with attached track in the pulled PRRFix07 release. I dropped the two Altoona tiles & World files and reactivated the TDB after removing & replacing all Dynamic Track with xtrack sections.
I used the modified Turntable shape by Travis (thank you!) and it dropped right into the one that was there.

I'd have swore it was related to the shape but with the latest reports in with a different TT puts that theory to rest.

Strange that it snaps ~0.3m low . . . wonder if it happens with the MSRE? I can't test that because the PRR East crashes the editor.
Not a big deal for me though; I noticed it right away and eyeballed it level with the yard track.
VERY easy to do if you set the TSRE STEP value to 1. You are able to move any object with micro-millimeter precision.

regards,
vince

#7 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OR/TSRE

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:56 PM

If it is determined to be caused (even in part) by the shape, do let me know and I will raise it up a little if necessary. I will say I haven't had this issue with any of the few turntables I've placed

#8 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:40 AM

SP 0-6-0, on 15 May 2018 - 12:37 PM, said:

I did notice that the TT skirt is covering part of the track texture in MSTS RE but no amount of work can get the skirt to cover the track tex in ORTS? There seems to be a difference between the two programs.

MSTS renders parts of the track in special ways. In MSTS, a "terrain object" will always obscure the ballast (such as on a bridge) but in Open Rails this does not happen.

For OR, a custom shape would have to be made to place over the ballast parts you want to hide.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users