https://ac.els-cdn.c...b11ec91e07e2e3a

Good reference document attached

Attached File(s)

#12 User is online   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 01 May 2018 - 02:39 AM

View Postcopperpen, on 30 April 2018 - 08:20 AM, said:

Therefore rather than have the temperature reduction controlled by the throttle it should be controlled by a countdown timer that starts when the throttle is reduced or closed. As a starter I suggest losing X degrees of heat per minute spread over 10 minutes after which the temperature will be zero, with X representing the percentage lost. In the case of a partial throttle closure the same countdown timer can be used with the end figure being the temperature for the current steaming rate.

OR has the facility to slowly increase and decrease over a time related period. This capability is already used for boiler heat and the burn rate, though the timing values are probably significantly less then the actual values in "real life".

This function could do what is suggested in the downward temperature direction, however it would also do the same in the upward temperature direction.

Superheating in the OR model principally impacts the steam consumption, and thus slowing the rate of change in the upward direction would impact upon steam and water consumption, and make it appear as though more water and steam was being consumed then what was actually happening.

In reality the superheat temperature is a measure of the temperature of the steam going into the cylinders. So if the throttle is closed, the superheat temperature will in effect go to zero immediately, as there is no steam flowing into the cylinder.

I am reluctant to introduce a timing feature on the superheat temperature, as in my mind it creates more code complexity and possible issues then the potential benefit, which in reality is more of a cosmetic feature rather then a performance impact.

#13 User is offline   jmlozano 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:17 AM

Good afternoon.

Please, could you notice figures in the circle, again?
Now, imagine we are driving a simple and saturated locomotive; therefore, superheat steam doesn't exist. I suppose these figures represent superheating absence; in my opinion, it would be better these temperatures were in blank.
Please, remember that water congelation temperature is 32ºF (0ºC), in your calculations.
Bye.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: OR Screenshot Simple.jpg

#14 User is offline   Gehe 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 19 April 2020 - 12:35 PM

Hi All,

I recently found the -18°C topic during my steam loco tuning. I think this -18°C is just a transformation error between Celsius and Fahrenheit. The superheat temperature is the difference between the temperature of the saturated and superheated steam. If you use Fahrenheit in the code then you can add the two temperatures to get the temperature of the superheated steam. If there is no superheating e.g. throttle zero, then the superheat temperature is zero. If you want to transform this into Celsius then one must not apply the normal converversion because it is a difference: T1-T2 (Celsius) = T1°Fx5/9-18-(T2°Fx5/9-18)=T1°Fx5/9-T2°Fx5/9. This will give the correct value in Celsius.

Regards
Gehe

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users