• You cannot reply to this topic

Water wasted after X4112 version. Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   jmlozano 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 25 April 2018 - 01:05 AM

Hello again.
Yes, it's better I describe well what I mean. Sorry if my english is not so good than I would.
I've been calculating theoretical water consuption in Coal to Newcastle, whit these locomotive parameters:
Cyl diameter: 480 mm. (18.9 in)
Cyl stroke: 600 mm. (23.62 in)
Wheel diameter: 1.7 m. (66.93 in)
Speed: 70 km/h. (43 mph)
Working pressure: 1176 kpa. (170.68 psi)
Cut off: 0.25
Throttle: 90 %

Estimated Water Consumption: 6176.22 litres/h

Activity was made, under these conditions, 50 kms ( 31 miles) in 45 minutes.

Water tender at the end of activity: 45 %.
Water Consumption in activity: 55% * 14000 litres capacity = 7700 litres in 45 minutes.

Could you see now what I mean?
Thanks.

#12 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 26 April 2018 - 02:50 AM

As a very rough comparison, I have an official railway test report for a 4-6-2 locomotive with 24" x 26" cylinders, 80" wheels, and a BP of 205psi.

At a speed of 37 mph and a cutoff of 30% it recorded a steam consumption of 39611 lb/hr (sorry about the imperial figures, but the report etc is in these units).

The locomotive that you have quoted has smaller drive wheels, cylinders, and a lower boiler pressure so I would expect the steam consumption to be somewhat less then the above example.

The CTN calculator for this locomotive reads lower then the test report value. As suggested on the web page these calculators provide approximations only. (open to more accurate formula if any body can provide one).

Based upon the above example I would not be surprised to see a consumption of 7700 litres ( 16937 lbs) of steam in the 45 mins for the locomotive that you have indicated. In reality it may even be a bit higher then this.

The typical range of a locomotive was typically somewhere between 100 and 150 miles.

Do you have any "real world" information about the locomotive steam (water) consumption?

#13 User is offline   jmlozano 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 26 April 2018 - 04:01 AM

Good morning,
Documetation about first steam locomotives in Spain is, sadly, almost inexistent. Talking with a Fireman of this locomotive, some years ago, I remember he told that, with a full water tender, he could run between 120-150 km; therefore an average consumed of 100 litres/h, 22 imp/galloons.

There is another factor: we have to think over different climate in every country. Drive in South or Middle Europe is not the same that in other Countries, for instance, New Zealand or South Africa.
Never mind. We have to use water springs more frecuently.

Thank you very much.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users