• You cannot reply to this topic

Water wasted after X4112 version. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   jmlozano 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 22 April 2018 - 12:42 AM

Good morning.
Before and atfer upload X4112 versión, the same locomotive in the same activity, has consumed 100% more of water, driving in the same way, both of them. It is very interesting...and, for me, very difficult to drive now. Could I ask why?
Thank you.

#2 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 22 April 2018 - 09:15 PM

There were some changes made in #4110 to adjust an incorrect water consumption display.

Testing to date suggests that these changes now more closely align with a number of test reports that are used as benchmarks for checking the performance of the OR code against real world conditions.

There are a number of factors that impact the water consumption of a steam locomotives. For you problem to be investigated it is necessary to have a lot more detail.

This detail should include information on the locomotive, load being hauled by the locomotive, route profile that it is running over, and the way that it is being driven.

Thanks

#3 User is offline   jmlozano 

• Apprentice

Posted 22 April 2018 - 11:47 PM

Hello,
Activity consist with coming down 31 miles, 10" average gradient, with a 0-6-0 saturated locomotive, hauling mass 180 tons.
I don't think this activity being difficult, and apparently there is no reason to this difference. Perhaps, adjusting have been something strong.
But this is what we have to manage in the simulator.
THANKS.

#4 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 23 April 2018 - 10:56 PM

View Postjmlozano, on 22 April 2018 - 11:47 PM, said:

Activity consist with coming down 31 miles, 10" average gradient, with a 0-6-0 saturated locomotive, hauling mass 180 tons.

Thanks for the feedback, but sadly it is meaningless in terms of trying to give you some answers to your question.

For example, what is a 10" average gradient? I have seen gradient expressed as 1 in x, or as a %, but not as ".

Have a look at this page to see some of the parameters that impact steam (water) consumption.

Based upon the description, what are the parameters impacting steam consumption of the 0-6-0 locomotive that you are using?

Thanks

#5 User is offline   jmlozano 

• Apprentice

Posted 23 April 2018 - 11:18 PM

View Poststeamer_ctn, on 23 April 2018 - 10:56 PM, said:

Thanks for the feedback, but sadly it is meaningless in terms of trying to give you some answers to your question.

For example, what is a 10" average gradient? I have seen gradient expressed as 1 in x, or as a %, but not as ".

Have a look at this page to see some of the parameters that impact steam (water) consumption.

Based upon the description, what are the parameters impacting steam consumption of the 0-6-0 locomotive that you are using?

Thanks

#6 User is offline   jmlozano 

• Apprentice

Posted 23 April 2018 - 11:46 PM

Oh, sorry, when I wrote ", I mean a "thousandth part", 1:1000. It's the usual way to write this measure here.

Locomotive description:

Boiler pressure, psi: 170.68
Boiler Volume , cu.ft. 178.71
Evap ratios (min, mid, max): 5.11 7.67 10.22
Evap at max firing rate: 26405 lbs.
Boiler water volume, 16451 lbs.
Max water mass, 3290 lbs.

Every number has been obtained using Steam setup. 3.0.

Thanks.

#7 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 24 April 2018 - 01:34 AM

View Postjmlozano, on 23 April 2018 - 11:46 PM, said:

Evap at max firing rate: 26405 lbs.
Max water mass, 3290 lbs.

Are these figures correct?

If so, it appears that the locomotive only has 3290 lbs of water supply to use.

If steam is produced (and used) at the max firing rate then it will only travel for approximately 7.5 minutes before it runs out of water.

This time will vary naturally depending upon the way that the locomotive is driven, and the actual steam consumption rate.

#8 User is offline   jmlozano 

• Apprentice

Posted 24 April 2018 - 07:50 AM

Hello again.
Tender water capacity is 32046 lbs.
Boiler water mass, 16451 lbs.
Figure "Max water mass", is a calculated parameter as 20% of the total water volume of the boiler. Is a parameter used by MSTS in the eng file.
Sorry if this number has confused you.

Bye.

#9 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:23 AM

MaxWaterMass is an item that is not used by OR, I am not sure if it is even used by MSTS, and is not to be confused with MaxTenderWaterMass. Further, why would it be calculated as 20% of the total water volume of the boiler if it is intended to be used as a maximum figure for the total water in the boiler?.

#10 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:51 PM

View Postjmlozano, on 24 April 2018 - 07:50 AM, said:

Tender water capacity is 32046 lbs.

Thanks for clarifying the figure for the tender. As Copperpen suggested I had confused it with the Tender Water. Additionally as he suggests it is not used in OR.

As also suggested, I too would have expected the water level in the boiler to be around 70-80%, with the reaming space containing steam. You will notice that OR attempts to maintain the water level in the boiler above these figures, and doesn't require this parameter.

Can you describe how you are driving the locomotive, for example what speed are you running at, and what throttle and cutoff values are you using for the run. How long is it taking you to run out of water in the tender?

Thanks

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users