• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Animated Coal Loads - Tank Steam Locomotives

#1 User is offline   midneguy 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 13 April 2018 - 05:39 PM

I'm hoping someone may be able to give me some guidance or advice here... On my latest model, a Mason Bogie 2-6-6T, I'm having trouble getting the "tender" coal load to animate - that is, to lower as the engine operates and the coal is consumed, and then raise again. I've never had any trouble with this before, but that was also with steam locomotives that had a separate tender .wag coupled behind the locomotive itself. The Mason Bogie engines though, are essentially tank engines - The "tender" where the water and coal are stored behind the came are structurally part of the engine itself, so no separate tender .wag would be used with this type of engine.

The .eng file for the locomotive is set up to attempt to use multiple ORTSFreightAnims. One entry includes the name and number of the engine itself as a static animation, which is a shape that only contains the name on the tender and the number on the number plate of the engine - the intent here is to be able to swap this out for different locomotives without having to include them with the complete engine shape file. Another entry, entered as a Continuous animation (since the coal load should move up and down) is also included. A third static FreightAnim will eventually be added for the crew members in the cab. Here are the ORTSFreightAnims as I have them in the .eng file now:

ORTSFreightAnims (
MSTSFreightAnimEnabled (0)
FreightAnimContinuous (
Shape ( MBSTCoal.s )
MaxHeight ( 0 )
MinHeight ( -0.65 )
FullAtStart ( 1 )
)
FreightAnimStatic (
SubType ( Default )
Shape ( DSPNameNum3.s )
Offset ( 0 0 0 )
)
)

So far I have not seen the coal load move down as the engine is running, and I haven't seen it move up when the engine is refuelled either... The ORTS manual seems to suggest that an animated coal load should be possible for both .eng and .wag files, so what am I missing to make this function correctly? As an additional note, I do have the intake points for both FuelWater and FuelCoal defined elsewhere in the wagon portion of the .eng file.

The second issue I'm having is with the same thing, except with the 3D Cab view for this locomotive. The coal load in the "tender" is plainly visible from within the cab of this engine, so I would like to see it move up and down the same as should be able to be seen from outside in the 2 view. I attempted to set this up with the coal load under its own group name in the hierarchy of the 3D Cab shape, and it is currently named FUEL_GAUGE. It is animated to move vertically the required distance, starting at the fully lowered position at animation frame 1, and in the fully raised position in animation frame 16 (I always set up my models with 16 frames of animation). I've tried a couple other names for the coal group in the model hierarchy, along with several variations of the entry in the 3D Cab .cvf file for the coal load. So far the 3D Cabview always shows the coal in the fully lowered position and it doesn't move with consumption or when it is refilled either.

If anyone knows of a steam locomotive tank engine model which has the coal level animation working correctly in the exterior #2 view please let met know so I can examine it. Likewise, if anyone knows of an example where the coal moves up and down with the level while int he 3D Cabview I'd enjoy studying a successful example of that as well. Of, perhaps this feature isn't something which works in Open Rails, at least not yet?

If anyone has any insight or advice they can share on this I'd really appreciate it. Or, it these are features that need development work to implement, I'd be happy to supply my model as a test bed for this work - thanks!

#2 User is offline   ErickC 

• Fireman
  • Group: Active Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 13 April 2018 - 06:22 PM

Shouldn't it be fuel_gauge:0:0 ?

#3 User is offline   midneguy 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 13 April 2018 - 06:38 PM

View PostErickC, on 13 April 2018 - 06:22 PM, said:

Shouldn't it be fuel_gauge:0:0 ?

Yes... that's what I meant to type, I forgot to add the :0:0 designation at the end...

#4 User is online   Csantucci 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Elite Member

Posted 15 April 2018 - 12:18 PM

Fuel coal animation (coal level decreasing due to coal consumption) works only if you use a MSTS-like freight animation for it, and not an ORTS-specific freight animation. I must however say that I don't know whether it works also for tender locos as in your case.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users