Elvas Tower: Help with Route PON11 - Elvas Tower

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Help with Route PON11 Looking for advice to begin repairs on a route Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Rigo 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 11 April 2018 - 07:03 PM

I've mentioned in other posts that I really liked the Port Ogden & Northern route that I ran in my old MSTS days. The PO&N layout is a circular route with occasionally overlapping AI routes. If I can, I'd love to get it functioning. Having loaded ORTS (OR) and gotten it running, I set out to load and run PO&N version 11. I purchased a copy of MSTS (my second, having lost the original) and installed it. I then used the log file from OR to identify any missing files in the OR folders needed for PON11 and copied them from MSTS to OR-appropriate locations.

Now I'm ready to tackle the hard problems. I see signal issues (which I know nothing about), track node problems (which I know less about), and perhaps AI traffic issues (which I know the absolute least about). But I'm willing to learn and do the grunt work. If I could get a little direction from people who understand such things, I'll try to edit or otherwise modify files as needed. Please see the attached log file.

Thanks in advance!

Attached File(s)

#2 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 11 April 2018 - 07:56 PM

Hi Rigo,

Its time to install the experimental release.

https://james-ross.c...jects/or/builds

Choose the top one and install it.

See how it goes, and post a log file if a problem arises.

I am running the activity now.

#3 User is offline   eugenR 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:33 AM

Hi Rigo,
To the Warnings for sigcfg.dat in the Logfile
Warning: Skipped extra SignalAspect in C:\Open Rails Train Simulator\ROUTES\PortOgden11\sigcfg.dat:line 186
in the sigcfg.dat at the given line-number you will find a structure as following:

SignalAspects ( 3
SignalAspect ( STOP "Red" SpeedKPH ( 0 ) )
SignalAspect ( APPROACH_1 "YellowGreen" SpeedKPH ( 40 ) )
SignalAspect ( APPROACH_2 "GreenGreen" SpeedKPH ( 60 ) )
SignalAspect ( CLEAR_2 "Green" )
)
The red number will be smaller then the number of Aspect-Lines
set the correct number and save the sigcfg.dat as Unicode-file.

Information: Skipped unknown SignalFnType NODEF in C:\Open Rails Train Simulator\ROUTES\PortOgden11\sigcfg.dat:line 848
NODEF is a nonsense Type and has also in MSTS no function

If you create a folder OpenRails in the Routefolder and get the corrected Signalfiles in this folder, only OR will use this files. MSTS is using the original-files in the Route-Folder.

#4 User is offline   Rigo 

• Apprentice

Posted 13 April 2018 - 07:21 AM

Thank you, eugenR. I made the edits throughout the sigcfg.dat file where the count for SignalAspect lines was incorrect and the log file became much more reasonable in length (see attached). I was reading NODEF as "Node F". I see now, thanks to your comments, it means "No Def (definition)". Looking deeper, I see that the 'Signal Function Type' is either 'Normal' or 'Distance' throughout this sigcfg.dat file. I'd consider changing that record, but I don't yet feel confident with the content of these files.

engmod, I have installed the latest (that day) update. You said you're running the route, but are you seeing the AI trains run? For me, they are just sitting still. Are you getting stopped by the TCS? If I head out from Anderson and turn left, the first red signal I come to will not cycle to green and if I run it the TCS Emergency Brake kicks in. I can't disengage that brake and I'm stuck. Backspace does not clear it. I had some luck in PON10 with the use of the TAB key to request permission to run the red lights but eventually I get the TCS brake situation and still no AI trains.

Looking at the sigcfg.dat file I'm wondering if I changed all the places where the "SpeedMPH" is set to "0" I might bump that to "25". Maybe that would stop the TCS from being such a kill-joy?

Rigo
Still too green to have a fancy sig

Attached File(s)

#5 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 13 April 2018 - 07:50 AM

This route and its "AndersonDay" activity are a big challenge for Open Rails.
I found
1) the need to increase some SignalNumClearAhead lines in file sigcfg.dat; I attach here a revised version of the file, which includes also the corrections suggested by EugenR; it must be unzipped within an Openrails subfolder to be created within the route's folder. In such subfolder also an unmodified copy of sigscr.dat must be placed;
Attached File  sigcfg_rev1.zip (4K)
Number of downloads: 394
2) one bug generating the bunch of warning messages in the logfile (bug report https://bugs.launchp...or/+bug/1763737); I committed a fix with x.4112;
3) a second bug in managing rocket loops, which I have filed https://bugs.launchp...or/+bug/1763742 but not resolved, because it involves managing Travellers, which is something I don't know well. In the bug report the bug is explained in detail, and a test activity is attached there;
4) the logfile reports also an error in displaying the SD402; this is a known issue and requires the replacement of the engine's .s file, if I remember well; this should be explained somewhere else in the forum.

Also without the second bug correction (which causes some AI train locks) the activity becomes playable.

P.S. 13/4/2018 22:37 GMT +2 New release of sigcfg.dat

#6 User is offline   Rigo 

• Apprentice

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:57 AM

Csantucci, thanks for the input and work performed. In comparing your edits of sigcfg.dat to mine, I notice that in places where the value of 'X' in "SignalAspects ( X" exceeded the quantity of SignalAspect lines, you left the number at 6. Can I assume that it's OK to exceed or equal, but not to use a value which is less than?

You also adjusted the values of SignalNumClearAhead. I don't know what those are, but I'll do some research.

Finally, you added a value at line 1184 after the word "Lunar" (Yours says '"Lunar"2'). What might that be? The lack of a space there makes me wonder if it was accidental.

When I launch the main program, I see that there is an update available to download (version number visible in the top-right - 4111). Your update does not show up as of this moment. Is it to be expected that your edits will have to be vetted by 'someone' before it shows up as available? This is new ground for me, so please pardon my lack of knowledge.

Thanks again!

Rigo

#7 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 13 April 2018 - 12:19 PM

Hi Rigo,
I must admit I didn't notice that there are places where x is less the quantity of SignalAspect lines, because OR does not signal that. Probably it does not cause problems, but it's better that you adjust that. The 2 after "Lunar" is a typo, sorry. I have posted a corrected version of sigcfg.dat in the post above. I have only doubts on the two lines
_SignalAspect (param) 

X.4112 is available on line now. Edits are not "vetted" once uploaded (if needed and required vetting occurs before uploading), it's only a matter of the fact that there is a program managed by James Ross that automatically checks on a periodic basis whether there were new source code uploads, and if yes generates a new release pack.
Re SignalNumClearAhead I suggest you to read paragraph 10.14 of the manual.
Re the red signal your player train encounters, it is correct, because if you check the path with the MSTS AE or with TrackViewer you'll see that the path ends before the signal (it is a very short path). This is because this is considered an "open ended" activity, where you can run your player train wherever you like. To do this you must pass to manual mode (Ctrl-M) and throw switches and signals when needed using the keyboard commands or the commands available on dispatcher window (Ctrl-9).

By the way with the changes I've introduced the most part of the AI trains circulates.

#8 User is offline   Rigo 

• Apprentice

Posted 13 April 2018 - 05:46 PM

Just in case it helps anybody, I've modified the sigcfg.dat file as follows and attached it to this post. I'm also attaching my last log file.
  • Removed the typographical addition of the '2' at line 1184
  • Removed one empty line at about line 403
  • Modified all "SignalAspects (X" values to match the number of aspect lines in each section

I did not change any speed limits as suggested I might do in an earlier post. I did not change in any way the NODEF signal referenced in the thread.

I'm still doing a lot of learning here (expect it to go on for a long time if I continue this pursuit of the PON 11 route!) and I'd love to be of assistance to others who follow down this path.

<EDIT - Deleted comment regarding talk-back from TCS. PON11 is speaking to me now>

Finally - Is there a place to see what changes were made in a new build? For instance, I have X4112 but X4114 just showed up. How do I know what changed or whether I want it?

Attached File(s)

#9 User is offline   eugenR 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 14 April 2018 - 12:29 PM

Hi Rigo,
In the logfile you can find the following information:
Information: Reindexing semaphore entries of signal type usswitchlamp for compatibility with MSTS

Here in the sigcfg.dat you will find the Semaphorepos 1 and 2 (instead of 0 and 1)

SignalType ( "USSwitchLamp"
		SignalFnType ( DISTANCE )
		SignalLightTex ( "BNSF ltex" )
		SemaphoreInfo ( 0.5 )
		SignalFlags ( SEMAPHORE )

SignalDrawStates ( 2
			SignalDrawState ( 0
				"Reverse"
				SemaphorePos ( 1 )
			)
			SignalDrawState ( 1
				"Normal"
				SemaphorePos ( 2 )
			)
		)

In the corresponding shape I think you will find the animation-steps 0 and 1
OR is correcting this mismatch ( as it does old MSTS) and is writing for the first such problem an information in the logfile

If the semaphores are working correct, you don't need to change anything, OR will correct it for you.

regards
EugenR

#10 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:00 AM

I've committed the second fix for rocket loops in x.4115.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users