• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Flickering forest Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Fablok 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 10 April 2018 - 03:13 PM

On Feather River is many autoforest placed. Bud especialy in Keddie those forests are flickering. I find those trees textures , put them to dxt but no effect. How it is looking below in clip. Can you do something with it. Its very annoying on sych beautiful route.

#2 User is offline   QJ-6811 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS / Open Rails

Posted 10 April 2018 - 11:49 PM

Funny, I also have this kind of problems with forest (on a different route).
I have already tried a lot. The type of trees (.ACE) can affect more or fewer problems, but it remains flickering in some places. I noticed that it is often a combination of distance and viewing angle? Usually it shakes at +/- 60-70% of your max distance / scope. Also noticed if you look "right" on the forest it flickers, but if you turn 60 degrees to the left / right it often stops. Even if you place equal trees as a object, you will not have any problems anymore.
I am also curious whether there is a solution for it. (Someone good ideas?). It would be very nice if it can be displayed stably.

#3 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 11 April 2018 - 12:11 AM

Have you checked if you have the same problem with the OR Monogame version?

#4 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 11 April 2018 - 12:14 AM

The flickering may be caused by model instancing if that is turned on. I now have it turned of for that reason and no longer have any flickering of any vegetation at any angle or distance.

#5 User is offline   paulytechnic 

• Conductor

Posted 11 April 2018 - 03:07 AM

I've noticed this too, and at first I thought it was due to my cheapo ATI video card (which eventually died), but it continued even after I replaced it with an Nvidia one. I'll have to try disabling model instancing to see if that helps. (Eventually, I'll get around to trying the Monogame version, too!)

#6 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 11 April 2018 - 11:02 AM

While this may not answer everything here there are a few things to keep in mind.

1) Forest regions are animated. What does that mean? When the camera moves they move with it, always facing the camera. You will notice aliasing, shimmer as you call it, especially when there is a stark contrast. Namely, bright sky and thin wisps of edges of trees etc. This effect is amplified, the higher the resolution of the texture. Try it for your self, take a texture that is 1024^2 and reduce it to 256^2. The textures are ugly when close up, but aliasing is reduced at distance because of the low resolution.

2) I have noticed the aliasing effect with both AMD and Nvidia cards. If you can, crank up SS to get a more total smooth image. This means a more powerful GPU to handle the load.

3) I have used the Monogame with AA enabled. As of this writing, I cannot remember what the regular Monogame looks like with AA enabled. What I did experiment with was the motion blur effect with Reshade. In effect what it does is to blur what is moving around the camera field, like forest regions! It does not get rid of aliasing completely at very modest settings, but the "distraction" of aliasing is reduced, IMHO, to an acceptable level. This motion blur also mimics what the eye sees, or real world video camera, where the moving subject of attention remains clear while the surroundings blur out, when the subject is moving. This is similar to panning a camera with a low shutter speed. I added the bloom effect with Reshade too, but this is my own personal taste, and only helps mildly with aliasing.

Remember you have to have AA turned on with Reshade, you cannot really use one with the other, IMHO.

IMHO = you might hate it!

#7 User is offline   Fablok 

• Conductor

Posted 11 April 2018 - 11:28 AM

Copperpen

Nope just done test drive on Feather with model instancing off. After 20 minutes of drive show started again :/

#8 User is offline   Hobo 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:OPEN RAILS & MSTS

Posted 11 April 2018 - 12:32 PM

Just a thought - - Are those trees part of the Michael Sinclair collection of trees and greenery ? They have been known for that type of effects for many years .
There is a fix for that at TS I believe . It could be something to do with the texture type in the shape file and the texturing of the ace file .
Not sure but I remember repairing some a long time ago . I'll check and see if I can find the necessary changes required .

#9 User is offline   QJ-6811 

• Conductor
  • Simulator:MSTS / Open Rails

Posted 12 April 2018 - 04:00 AM

I have also tried "model instancing", but without a positive result. Maybe if you can get more performance from your CPU this is an option. (?)

In the meantime noticed that there are indeed two types of "flickering".

1) The flickering (dancing / jumping) trees.
2) As indicated by Fablok, the "light up / flash" of the trees. (as if a flashing fluorescent tube is placed behind a slide )
Coincidentally it often happens at the same rhythm and places on the route, but not always ....

Concerns 1), this is partly influenced by the performance. So putting off "dynamic shadow", shortening the viewing distance (after all less visible trees ... :p ) or similar settings can reduce the complaint, but does not solve it 100%.
The remark by EldoradoRailroad that contrast (on top of a mountain top / blue sky background) has a big influence, I can also confirm. It is remarkable that it always occurs at "certain viewing distance".

I also see another remarkable fact. If you drive along the route you often have this problem at some point. You stop the train and the complaint remains (cab-view, camera '2', '3' and '8', etc.) [OK]. If you freeze the game (ESC) it will continue to flash. But the most strange thing is always when you stop the Game and restart at the same spot (RESUME) the complaint is gone ?? I can not really explain this. It seems that it only occurs when you drive to / from "the place of the problem".

I had tried a lot with 'surface' / number of trees m2, etc, but never 100% result. Maybe have to try with only forests on the mountainside and 'trees objects' on the tops and edges of mountains. (although this is more difficult for route builders ...)

Concerns 2) I am now convinced that it is linked to the 'type of tree', possibly if it is combined with other trees in the same place.
So find out if there are other trees to be found ....

Will be continued if I have more time for forestry. :D :D

#10 User is offline   Fablok 

• Conductor

Posted 13 April 2018 - 04:41 AM

QJ-6811

Yep. Dancing and jumping trees also spotted. This issue on Bala Sub. Disco light show on Feather ;)

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users