• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New rail system Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   ErickC 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 21 March 2018 - 03:44 AM

Now that I think of it, though, it would be nice to have something to overwrite XTracks with.

If I started working on a direct replacement - nothing too complex, something like the default TS2018 track probably - would the community be willing to flesh it out into a full set of replacement shapes that can be dropped into the global folder, doing away with Kuju rail? There's probably ways of getting my source files into TSM, and I can definitely get them into 3DC (I do that all the time for texture baking).

The profile I had in mind would be similar to the default in its simplicity, but with proper tie spacing, higher-resolution textures, proper rail width, and arched ballast of the same overall width so as to not look funky when integrated.

#22 User is offline   Garry 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails + TSRE5

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:37 AM

Hi Erick
If you started out making replacement .s and .sd files for MSTS and X tracks using 3DCrafter, it would be a major undertaking. But this would mean that by using these shapes any existing route could be instantly updated.
If I think about my routes there are certain track shapes that I use regularly, but also many that I never use.

I would be interested in assisting with the making of track shapes. I have made buildings, bridges, and tunnels, but never track.

Garry

#23 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:01 AM

Hi Folks,

Concur - Erick's track would be a slam dunk for improving existing routes... While I always have an eye to the future - there are a few really well done routes I wouldn't want to lose... A drop in replacement would make them far better...

Regards,
Scott

#24 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OR/TSRE

Posted 21 March 2018 - 07:23 AM

Erick,

I might be able to help a bit, since I do have a decent handle on gmax, which I usnderstand is what you would be using?

#25 User is offline   ErickC 

• Superintendant

Posted 21 March 2018 - 11:23 AM

Yes. I am also able to get models into 3DC with the FS2004 gamepack and mdlcommander (Gmax > x > 3DC). Since 3DC is a common tool among trainsim modellers, I think that could expand the potential pool of developers.

I already have a basic process down. I tried my hand at replicating a few default shapes by importing them into GMax for analysis a few months ago. I built a basic profile, then tried a few methods to replicate the piece (a curved section). As it turns out, it's fairly simple. You just set the pivot where the center of the curve should be, use a slice plane positioned at this point and rotated the appropriate number of degrees to slice the track, delete everything past the slice, then create an array to flesh out the rest of the curve. Attach, weld verts, put the pivot back where it needs to be, done.

Of course, I will need to come up with a more refined process to retain the proper mapping. I wonder if I can loft splines and have the mapping repeat at a fixed interval? I'll have to ask some of my more knowledgeable friends.

I was thinking of mapping to a resolution that causes the texture to repeat every 39 feet so that people making jointed rail routes could draw the cracks and fishplates in the textures and then have them spaced out more or less correctly. Of course, the spacing would change a wee bit in curves.

#26 User is offline   Hamza97 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 21 March 2018 - 08:46 PM

Erick, instead of going back and forth between two software, i recommend you use Blender, its easy, stable and fast and also does all kind of baking thus speeding up your workflow and helping you build the pieces faster. Wayne have also made a fabulous exporter for it too... :thumbup3:

#27 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 21 March 2018 - 09:41 PM

I like the fishplate idea for jointed track. If it could be included in a future spline system then it would be good to allow the user to set the standard rail length for each track section. 39 foot I presume is a US standard. In UK various lengths have been laid at various times by various companies with 30 ft and 60 ft being common more recently.

#28 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 22 March 2018 - 02:35 AM

Don't forget also that the US uses staggered rail joints, UK does not, rest of the world may vary. so different textures would be needed.

#29 User is offline   ErickC 

• Superintendant

Posted 22 March 2018 - 03:20 AM

View PostHamza97, on 21 March 2018 - 08:46 PM, said:

Erick, instead of going back and forth between two software, i recommend you use Blender, its easy, stable and fast and also does all kind of baking thus speeding up your workflow and helping you build the pieces faster. Wayne have also made a fabulous exporter for it too... :thumbup3:

I can't stand Blender. It's clunky, hard to use, and doesn't have the mapping capabilities that I need. Besides, I wouldn't be jumping between programs. GMax exports to .s format just fine. I'd only send models into 3DC so that 3DC users could help build the massive number of track shapes a replacement for XTracks would require.

#30 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OR/TSRE

Posted 22 March 2018 - 03:29 AM

View Postcopperpen, on 22 March 2018 - 02:35 AM, said:

Don't forget also that the US uses staggered rail joints, UK does not, rest of the world may vary. so different textures would be needed.

That's true, but I know USTracks don't have staggered joints, and unless you look pretty closely, you don't really notice it. I suspect he [Norbert] did that because it was easier than trying to stagger them, especially on shorter pieces

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users