Elvas Tower: Cut power when maximum current on traction motors is reached - Elvas Tower

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cut power when maximum current on traction motors is reached For electric locomotives Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   NF1-800 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS and ORTS

Posted 04 March 2018 - 05:17 AM

Greetings!
As the title says, i am in a bit of an enigma on how to enable this feature if indeed it is available for OR.
I've made a couple of searches and all are related to this trigger MonitoringDeviceTriggerOnHighCurrent ( n value )
Most integrated it in the OverspeedMonitor, probably at that time being accepted by MSTS but i am unable to make it work in OR.
Ideas?
I believe it would be very useful since the circuit breaker is now fully operational.
Of course this feature would be also useful on diesel-electrics too.

Thanks in advance.

#2 User is offline   Coolhand101 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 04 March 2018 - 02:15 PM

View PostNF1-800, on 04 March 2018 - 05:17 AM, said:

Greetings!
As the title says, i am in a bit of an enigma on how to enable this feature if indeed it is available for OR.
I've made a couple of searches and all are related to this trigger MonitoringDeviceTriggerOnHighCurrent ( n value )
Most integrated it in the OverspeedMonitor, probably at that time being accepted by MSTS but i am unable to make it work in OR.
Ideas?
I believe it would be very useful since the circuit breaker is now fully operational.
Of course this feature would be also useful on diesel-electrics too.

Thanks in advance.

The MonitoringDeviceTriggerOnHighCurrent was a MSTSBin feature. In MSTS, it did work but only with full or emergency brakes from one of the TCS monitor sections, it never did only cut the power.

In Openrails, the cut power does work, but only certain for conditions. I believe, when i last use OR, this was for a set speed. You could set how long the power was off for via the TCS monitor sections.

However 'current' and 'Amps' does not exist in OR atm. If this feature was available now, it would be based on tractive effort, and the starting tractive effort would need to be set much lower to cut out the tractions motors when the AMPs(T.E!!)reached the red section on the cab display dial. And some trains need that maximum starting tractive effort to get going!

Thanks

#3 User is offline   Mike B 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Mostly ORTS these days

Posted 11 March 2018 - 03:44 PM

View PostCoolhand101, on 04 March 2018 - 02:15 PM, said:

The MonitoringDeviceTriggerOnHighCurrent was a MSTSBin feature. In MSTS, it did work but only with full or emergency brakes from one of the TCS monitor sections, it never did only cut the power.

In Openrails, the cut power does work, but only certain for conditions. I believe, when i last use OR, this was for a set speed. You could set how long the power was off for via the TCS monitor sections.

However 'current' and 'Amps' does not exist in OR atm. If this feature was available now, it would be based on tractive effort, and the starting tractive effort would need to be set much lower to cut out the tractions motors when the AMPs(T.E!!)reached the red section on the cab display dial. And some trains need that maximum starting tractive effort to get going!

Thanks

Very true. The red zone isn't an immediate shutdown thing, though deep enough into it might be pretty close. It means (especially with DC traction motors) that you're into the short-time rating and will overheat the motors (causing an overheat cutout, most likely, unless it goes far enough to release the magic smoke) if you don't get it over with quickly. Different locomotives have different short-time ratings. Thus the minimum continuous speed - the minimum speed you have to reach within the short-time rating to keep the motors from overheating and burning out, even with blowers on. Modern AC traction motors don't work the same way, and can withstand the maximum current at low speed indefinitely.

#4 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:55 PM

It would be good to see some work in this area for all locomotives with electric transmission - that includes diesel electric locomotives as well as electric locomotives.

At present there is MaxCurrent ( x ) but as stated above with dc motors this should only be used for a short time without damaging traction motors there also needs to be ORTSMaxContinuousCurrent ( x ). Related to these Current should be added to the simple HuD for electric and diesel electric locos and should show yellow or red if the current is high.

Perhaps there also needs to be some way to model different behaviour of ac and dc motors. That would lead to different controllers including the old type SHUNT / SERIES / PARALLEL controller that clicks through the relays in each notch and the tap changer controller with many notches on older ac units.

#5 User is offline   NF1-800 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS and ORTS

Posted 18 March 2018 - 12:49 AM

Thank you all for the interest shown upon this subject. This feature would be very useful and also might be a plus in driving experience (another step closer to realism).

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users