Elvas Tower: Wheelslip on steam engines - Elvas Tower

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Wheelslip on steam engines Wheelslip occurs on wet rail with cutoff at 0 % Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 05 March 2018 - 02:14 AM

I have made a cosmetic adjustment to the code in #4085 so that when the throttle or reverser are zero, no wheel slip force will be evident.

View PostJean-Paul, on 04 March 2018 - 01:21 PM, said:

After restoration, and download of a new Microsoft update, I could discover that this problem of illogical wheelslip had completly disappeared. Now, sanding is efficient, and it's possible to open completly regulator with 0 % cutoff without any wheelslip. Similarly, cylinders cocks are normally efficient. I think this M'soft temporar "bug" affected, in fact, ability of my computer to execute multitask works.

I assume that this means that the OR calculations are now confirmed as correct?

Does this also mean that the calculations associated with the Davis friction values raised in this thread have also been confirmed as correct?

Thanks

#22 User is offline   Jean-Paul 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 05 March 2018 - 03:53 AM

View Poststeamer_ctn, on 05 March 2018 - 02:14 AM, said:

I have made a cosmetic adjustment to the code in #4085 so that when the throttle or reverser are zero, no wheel slip force will be evident.

I assume that this means that the OR calculations are now confirmed as correct?

Does this also mean that the calculations associated with the Davis friction values raised in this thread have also been confirmed as correct?

Thanks

Hi, Peter !
Everything seems correct. I presume that "starting resistance" is calculated on basis of 0.0075*mass*9.81, no ?
Thanks for everything !
Jean-Paul

#23 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 06 March 2018 - 02:26 AM

View PostJean-Paul, on 05 March 2018 - 03:53 AM, said:

I presume that "starting resistance" is calculated on basis of 0.0075*mass*9.81, no ?

Have a look at this page for an indication of starting resistance.

#24 User is offline   hroch 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:MSTS OR

Posted 06 March 2018 - 04:16 AM

Hello,

Do you know what's interesting? That the Czech regulations/rules declare a lower starting resistance value of rolling bearings. 15N/t. Probably another construction. Sorry for the Czech language on this picture.
Attached Image: start_resistance.jpg

#25 User is offline   Jean-Paul 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 06 March 2018 - 02:42 PM

View Posthroch, on 06 March 2018 - 04:16 AM, said:

Hello,

Do you know what's interesting? That the Czech regulations/rules declare a lower starting resistance value of rolling bearings. 15N/t. Probably another construction. Sorry for the Czech language on this picture.
Attachment start_resistance.jpg

Hello,
Very interesting, and conform to many measurements made on roller bearings (see Tassignon, for instance), with generally values between 15 and 20 N/t. Usual formula : 0.0075*m*g seems really overestimated. Or more adapted to friction bearings. So, I agree with you, and it doesn't help to "easy" startings in steps with a poor adhesion ! This may - at least partially - explain that.
Best regards,
Jean-Paul

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users