Elvas Tower: Handling elevation offsets - Elvas Tower

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Handling elevation offsets Adjusting level of a route or added tiles Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   landnrailroader 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 20 February 2018 - 02:50 PM

This may already be in the mix somewhere, but I notice that by the use of the proper elevation files
it is possible to generate the elevation data within TSRE. Forgive me if the rest of this is already
in place.

Suppose I want to add material to an existing route that was generated with a offset in elevation to
avoid the issues that RE has at altitudes over 10,000 feet or so. Specifically, I have the latest
release of the C&S-CM_DRG route by the late Don Karch, sent to me by another simmer. The issue is
that the route was created with terrain lowered by 1525 meters or 5000 ft. To match existing
elevations, any new tiles need to be lowered the same amount, either before, or during, the extraction
of terrain elevations from DEM files. Do we have, or can we have, a option to lower the terrain of
new tiles (or a whole route if it is a new route) as a part of generating terrain.

J. H. Sullivan
(landnrailroader)

#2 User is online   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 20 February 2018 - 02:57 PM

IIRC Route ritter has something like that but offhand I do not know if it is for everything or only objects.

#3 User is offline   landnrailroader 

• Fireman

Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:27 PM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 20 February 2018 - 02:57 PM, said:

IIRC Route ritter has something like that but offhand I do not know if it is for everything or only objects.

RouteRiter will do it for a whole route, but apparently it must be a completed route because I considered
setting the elevations in a separate temporary route and merging it into the main route, but RR refused to
handle it unless it had track, roads, etc. in it. In addition, there is no way in RouteRiter to do a few
tiles, or a tile, so what I am asking about here is a method to raise or lower a single tile or several
tiles prior to, or at the same time as, creating the terrain. I note that TSRE also has the capability,
apparently, to create tiles.

If a route did not have it's elevation raised or lowered, then it is easy to add tiles by RGE or other
methods and generate the new terrain, but with a fixed elevation adjustment thrown in, ??? In the case
of the mentioned route, we know that a elevation reduction of 1525 meters is required, but have no way
to do that only on new tiles, only on the whole route.

landnrailroader

#4 User is offline   Simon E 

• Hostler
  • Simulator:TS 2022,TANE, OpenRails

Posted 21 February 2018 - 04:24 AM

I would like to be able to move up, down, East, West or Rotate a route that it is in its proper co ordinates. That it can be DEM'ed And updated.

#5 User is offline   landnrailroader 

• Fireman

Posted 21 February 2018 - 06:56 AM

View Postlandnrailroader, on 20 February 2018 - 04:27 PM, said:

RouteRiter will do it for a whole route, but apparently it must be a completed route because I considered
setting the elevations in a separate temporary route and merging it into the main route, but RR refused to
handle it unless it had track, roads, etc. in it. In addition, there is no way in RouteRiter to do a few
tiles, or a tile, so what I am asking about here is a method to raise or lower a single tile or several
tiles prior to, or at the same time as, creating the terrain. I note that TSRE also has the capability,
apparently, to create tiles.

If a route did not have it's elevation raised or lowered, then it is easy to add tiles by RGE or other
methods and generate the new terrain, but with a fixed elevation adjustment thrown in, ??? In the case
of the mentioned route, we know that a elevation reduction of 1525 meters is required, but have no way
to do that only on new tiles, only on the whole route.

landnrailroader

One thing I have not tried and it would be tedious, is to create the new tiles in a new route. Then
generate the terrain, and merge the new tiles (route) into the desired route. Then, since we know the
terrain is to be set 1525 meters lower, manually reset the floor & ceiling of each new tile by
selecting 1525 meters.

#6 User is offline   Mike B 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Mostly ORTS these days

Posted 21 February 2018 - 07:06 AM

View Postlandnrailroader, on 21 February 2018 - 06:56 AM, said:

One thing I have not tried and it would be tedious, is to create the new tiles in a new route. Then
generate the terrain, and merge the new tiles (route) into the desired route. Then, since we know the
terrain is to be set 1525 meters lower, manually reset the floor & ceiling of each new tile by
selecting 1525 meters.

Tedious, but probably practical. The other (even more tedious) method, if it can't be done while adding tiles, would be to back out the offset of the original route, add the new tiles using something that isn't bothered by the altitude, then add back the offset to the expanded route so track and further editing can be done.

#7 User is offline   Simon E 

• Hostler

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:27 AM

View PostSimon E, on 21 February 2018 - 04:24 AM, said:

I would like to be able to move up, down, East, West or Rotate a route that it is in its proper co ordinates. That it can be DEM'ed And updated.

And get totally ignored at the same time!

WOW!

#8 User is offline   landnrailroader 

• Fireman

Posted 21 February 2018 - 05:18 PM

View PostSimon E, on 21 February 2018 - 09:27 AM, said:

And get totally ignored at the same time!

WOW!

Simon,

RouteRiter has the ability to shift the location (but not rotation) of a whole
route and in the past this has been done to avoid "great white voids" that have
been fixed in OpenRails. I never liked to do it, but the Saluda Mtn.
route in the www.trainsim.com library has this done to it, and you are not aware
of it when running the route.

landnrailroader

#9 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 22 February 2018 - 08:48 AM

Offset for terrain data?
It can be done in the future.

#10 User is offline   Simon E 

• Hostler

Posted 11 April 2018 - 10:01 PM

View PostGoku, on 22 February 2018 - 08:48 AM, said:

Offset for terrain data?
It can be done in the future.

Great. It would be good to be able to move all the Items on the Terrain as well. (this is to fix Old Routes of mine up, and extend them properly.)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users