Elvas Tower: Making a command-line-tool to load supported files - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Making a command-line-tool to load supported files Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   JeroenP 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:41 PM

I started to investigate/make a prototype of the command-line-tool to load all supported file formats. This is in the roadmap for version 1.3: https://trello.com/c...ed-file-formats (blueprint is https://blueprints.l...ine-file-loader)
The longer term vision is mentioned in: https://trello.com/c...format-checking (blueprint https://blueprints.l...mat-diagnostics).

This topic is to discuss various aspects of this new tool. This includes your wishes and needs, and at a later stage also your feedback.

Initially it will, as said in the blueprint, accept any file format known to Open Rails and attempts to load it. The output would be all of the normal loading messages from the game (e.g. warnings from the STF parser) and a simple "OK" if it successfully reaches the end of loading. The important point here is that there should not be any new loading code: the already available code should be used since that already gives the proper warnings.
I think it should either accept a single file or a set of files using a search pattern. It should be possible to run it over a complete route and perhaps even over the complete set of files in TRAINS (at this point in time still considering mostly a single file at a time).

At a later stage it would then have an option not only to load a single file but also load, subsequently, all the files referenced in the initial file (e.g. loading an .act file would also load the referred .pat and .srv files, and I guess loading a worldfile would also lead to loading hazards, shapes, textures, ...). In the end, perhaps, it would be possible to load all files needed for a route, e.g. starting from a .trk file.

I am still looking for a good name for this tool. Do note that it is a command-line tool. So you would need to type it, possibly often. Furthemore, the long term vision is that also cross-checks between different files will be taken into account. So it is not just loading files. ContentChecker or CheckContent? FileChecker? CheckFiles? Just Check? Perhaps without capitals like check.exe or checkcontents.exe?

Any other thoughts people might already have?

Jeroen.

#2 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 16 February 2018 - 02:14 PM

View PostJeroenP, on 16 February 2018 - 12:41 PM, said:

I am still looking for a good name for this tool. Do note that it is a command-line tool. So you would need to type it, possibly often. Furthemore, the long term vision is that also cross-checks between different files will be taken into account. So it is not just loading files. ContentChecker or CheckContent? FileChecker? CheckFiles? Just Check? Perhaps without capitals like check.exe or checkcontents.exe?

I personally favour "FileChecker" but it's not easy to name. Perhaps something like "FileValidator" or "FileVerifier" would work, but I worry that we'd be implying that our loading code is perfect when I am certain it is not.

#3 User is offline   mrmosky 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Openrails

Posted 16 February 2018 - 02:36 PM

As a potential user, I would like to see a gui for such a tool eventually, rather than a command line. That way, you can easily search for files to load, get any warning messages, see a progress bar, read a report of what has been done, all that useful stuff that anyone other than a programmer likes to see.
Geoff

#4 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 16 February 2018 - 05:45 PM

I like the command line idea where redirecting the output to a flat text file (ascii I hope) would be possible. This would dovetail with any scripts a user might create to use this detailed info. As for an executable name, well it is checking/crosschecking a bunch files so:

omnicheck.exe
omnichk.exe (shorter)
ORomnicheck.exe
ORomnichk.exe (shorter)
ORXcheck.exe
ORXchk.exe (shorter)
ORfileXcheck.exe X = for cross, as in cross check.
ORfileXchk.exe (shorter)
ORFXcheck.exe
ORFXchk.exe (shorter), but FX looks a bit too much like effects as in D3D FX...???!!!!
ORFileIntegrityChk.exe

I would like to see a non-cryptic but explicit name used so that a casual user will not be left scratching their head as to what this executable might do. For those of us who type at the commandline, we like super short exe names, but that is so 1980s DOS, 8.3. Either way nobody will really be happy. I suppose somebody could rename it to "orfc.exe" or "orxfc.exe".

Thank you for undertaking this task!

Steve

#5 User is offline   JeroenP 

• Fireman

Posted 20 February 2018 - 06:05 AM

I have a first version, attached as a patch. Obviously this is not yet complete. However, I want to share this so that we have something to discuss more concretely. I added it is a ContentChecker project (the name is open for change) with as command line for now ORfileXcheck.exe, even though at the moment there is no real cross-checking going on.
Some .dat files are not supported yet. And I guess some openrails sub-directories are also not yet supported. Feedback is appreciated. For instance on how and where this needs to go into the Source directory. And of course whether it does what was intended.
I also added some initial documentation.

Attached File(s)

#6 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 20 February 2018 - 11:28 AM

View PostJeroenP, on 16 February 2018 - 12:41 PM, said:

How about "lint"?

Wikipedia writes:
"A linter or lint refers to tools that analyze source code to flag programming errors, bugs, stylistic errors, and suspicious constructs. The term is originated from a Unix utility that examined C language source code." It comes "from the name of the undesirable bits of fiber and fluff found in sheep's wool."

#7 User is offline   Simon E 

• Hostler
  • Simulator:TS 2022,TANE, OpenRails

Posted 21 February 2018 - 04:37 AM

View Postcjakeman, on 20 February 2018 - 11:28 AM, said:

How about "lint"?

Wikipedia writes:
"A linter or lint refers to tools that analyze source code to flag programming errors, bugs, stylistic errors, and suspicious constructs. The term is originated from a Unix utility that examined C language source code." It comes "from the name of the undesirable bits of fiber and fluff found in sheep's wool."

Yeah, I'm very Familiar with "lint" on Unix. It Sounds Like a "Lint" for OR. It would be good to search for UN-closed brackets and other dumb things like that. Or Misspelt Items. Also Probably other stupid mistakes that are sometimes hard to notice.

#8 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:33 PM

At what point will you have an alpha executable to test?

Thanks,
Steve

#9 User is offline   JeroenP 

• Fireman

Posted 24 February 2018 - 11:03 PM

View PostSimon E, on 21 February 2018 - 04:37 AM, said:

Yeah, I'm very Familiar with "lint" on Unix. It Sounds Like a "Lint" for OR. It would be good to search for UN-closed brackets and other dumb things like that. Or Misspelt Items. Also Probably other stupid mistakes that are sometimes hard to notice.

If I am not mistaken the current warnings you already get are things like un-closed brackets and other real syntax errors. So for sure, these errors are then also present in the command-line tool. But I think misspelt items are currently silently disregarded. Obviously it could be a future improvement to catch these as well. But that would then be in the second stage (and after 1.3?) because it impacts current parsing.
Furthermore, I do think that the future vision (see the Trello card for instance) contains more than just checking single-file constructs. It would check also consistency between different files (e.g. are the locations in a .pat file really present in the .tdb). Therefore, I think the name "lint" is too restrictive

View PostEldorado.Railroad, on 22 February 2018 - 06:33 PM, said:

At what point will you have an alpha executable to test?

I added alpha code to my post of Februari 20th. To generate code I need to check things in into SVN. I wanted to wait for some feedback, also again on the name of the project. Some people have downloaded the code. I got not feedback telling me it should be done differently, so I guess I can start checking in.

#10 User is offline   JeroenP 

• Fireman

Posted 24 February 2018 - 11:37 PM

I had a look at the loading of various .dat files. And I am getting slowly convinced that files like speedpost.dat, spotter.dat, ssource.dat, and telepole.dat are not in fact used by ORTS. I could not find any code loading them. And I ran some routes through the debugger triggering on loading of .dat files and they did not pop up. So it seems to me that perhaps these files are needed in MSTS perhaps to do some initial loading or maybe even only for editing. But that they are not really needed in ORTS because ORTS can find the same information in for instance the world files.
The manual does say they are loaded. I suspect the manual is wrong. I did find an old post, http://www.elvastowe...rogramming-team, asking confirmation on whether these files are in fact loaded, but that confirmation never came.

Currently in the command line tool I am flagging them as 'Not used by ORTS''.

So, does anyone know for a fact that these files are loaded? Otherwise we should perhaps correct the manual.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users