• You cannot reply to this topic

UHD + HDR Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:29 PM

The next gen televisions are appearing now and I'm curious what that means for Open Rails. Audio systems and playback devices are also showing up, even some DVD's. What seems to be uncommon (or unusually expensive) are video cards that can handle UHD + HDR but I expect that will change too, which means some of us should be able to run games on our PC and display them in vastly tighter resolution on TV's -- if not 2018 then in 2019.

UHD is around 4000 lines of resolution horizontally, which means a typical pixel will be one quarter the size of pixels today. I think that means 1 pixel will equal one square inch of area around 250m away... 6 square inches (2cm^2) at 1500m. Quite a change for figuring out what to do with LOD's. I figure the extra pixels do not represent anything special for OR code -- it renders the mesh and sends it plus textures over to the GPU which does all the hard work.

What I'm most curious about is the impact of HDR. AFAICT true HDR means 10bits of data for R, G, and B each, instead of the standard 8. I guess that puts the kibosh on all our art tools, model review tools, and... the .ACE file. I also expect a WHOLE LOT of older MSTS textures will look far, far worse than many already look. In exchange we gain a whole lot of colors some few of which might make metallic colors look a bit more realistic, greater subtlety in transitions, and probably a change in mip mapping distances.

All of that seems to add up to thinking maybe if we all close our eyes it won't happen, but of course that has never worked before. So what do people think will happen? What, if anything, might it mean for the OR team? For content developers? What happens to end users when some content uses HDR?

Thoughts?

#2 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:28 PM

Hi Dave,

I am running a 81cm 4k monitor on my desk.

#3 User is offline   Hamza97 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:36 PM

AFAIK, HDR would be benefited only when the software which is running is also designed with HDR rendering. Older LDR programs would be rendered in 8 bit only..... :wtf01:

#4 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:16 AM

engmod, on 15 February 2018 - 09:28 PM, said:

Hi Dave,

I am running a 81cm 4k monitor on my desk.

What video card are you using?

#5 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:32 AM

1070ti

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic