• You cannot reply to this topic

3D Crafter Modeling for MSTS Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   FlangeHead 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Microsoft Train Simulator

Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:43 PM

Greetings to all;

Back in the old days, I got into Trainz, first learning how to make models with Gmax and the Trainz game-pack that allowed for the model export. Then, I learned to use 3D Canvas and I finally hit the big time with Blender. Having learned that the Blender export utility available on this site does not generate .sd files, I returned to the now 3D Crafter Professional V10, which includes the MSTS utility. A search of the internet has revealed that there are no tutorials for my version and that there are differences between what I have now and what I had before.

According to what I have been able to discover, the checkerboard in Canvas had a red green blue widget that defined the directions for the checkerboard but, Pro Version 10 does not have such a device. My understanding is that models submitted to MSTS must be centered on the 0, 0, 0, position on the checkerboard to export properly.

If anyone has any experience with 3D Crafter Professional 10, perhaps that might provide me with the answer to my question. My specialty, if you can call it that, is building trackside structures, ranging from a trackside equipment box to two-story hotel. I have also created track, some rolling stock and I have built switch machines.

I'm very much interested in helping OR in any way I can. I can even make crude trees and bushes.

I'll appreciate any help on the this matter.

Keep her on the rails,

FlangeHead

#2 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 05 February 2018 - 01:31 PM

If you like Blender, just use it.
SD file is optional for OR and TSRE. But still required of course.
Sd files are easy to do, just copy existing simple sd file.

#3 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 05 February 2018 - 02:00 PM

Trackside structures; M.E.A.T. = Mysterious Equipment Alongside Tracks
What got me started was Google Sketchup. So easy for the non-animated trackside stuff needed. I frequently have the Route Editor (TSRE) and SketchUp running at the same time, making the MEAT on the fly so to speak. http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/scarerun.gif

regards,
vince

#4 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 06 February 2018 - 05:04 AM

View PostFlangeHead, on 05 February 2018 - 12:43 PM, said:

Greetings to all;

Back in the old days, I got into Trainz, first learning how to make models with Gmax and the Trainz game-pack that allowed for the model export. Then, I learned to use 3D Canvas and I finally hit the big time with Blender. Having learned that the Blender export utility available on this site does not generate .sd files, I returned to the now 3D Crafter Professional V10, which includes the MSTS utility. A search of the internet has revealed that there are no tutorials for my version and that there are differences between what I have now and what I had before.

According to what I have been able to discover, the checkerboard in Canvas had a red green blue widget that defined the directions for the checkerboard but, Pro Version 10 does not have such a device. My understanding is that models submitted to MSTS must be centered on the 0, 0, 0, position on the checkerboard to export properly.

If anyone has any experience with 3D Crafter Professional 10, perhaps that might provide me with the answer to my question. My specialty, if you can call it that, is building trackside structures, ranging from a trackside equipment box to two-story hotel. I have also created track, some rolling stock and I have built switch machines.

I'm very much interested in helping OR in any way I can. I can even make crude trees and bushes.

I'll appreciate any help on the this matter.

Keep her on the rails,

FlangeHead

I recommend installing 3DC v9 and dumping v10. You'll be much better off.

http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/oldstry.gif

#5 User is offline   slipperman 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & ORTS

Posted 06 February 2018 - 05:55 AM

Hi Rick,

I recommend installing 3DC v9 and dumping v10

As one who has only done a very small amount of modelling for MSTS using TSM, I'm interested in trying 3DC :)
One important question, which others may also have -
Can models for MSTS be created using the freeware version of 3DCrafter - v9.2.2 seems to be readily available - or is the "full" version required?

Cheers,
Ged

#6 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 06 February 2018 - 05:34 PM

You can build anything you want with the free version of 3DC BUT you can't export it. You'll have to buy the pro version if you want to export into MSTS or ORTS. I might suggest Blender or Sketchup. They are free and will export into the sim for you.

:oldstry:

#7 User is offline   espee 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 06 February 2018 - 07:19 PM

According to the website the latest versions include the exporters for the most common train game formats.

http://amabilis.com/products/

#8 User is offline   slipperman 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:MSTS & ORTS

Posted 07 February 2018 - 05:56 AM

Thanks Rick and Richard for your replies :)

It appears that the free version of v10 includes an MSTS exporter.

Cheers,
Ged

#9 User is offline   pwillard 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 07 February 2018 - 10:10 AM

I've also been tinkering with version 10... and while some things are hidden and dummied down for new users... it seems pretty stable.

I'll keep using 7.12 for now though.

#10 User is offline   Garry 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails + TSRE5

Posted 09 February 2018 - 11:53 AM

Hi Flangehead
At the top of this forum you ask about the RGB widget on the checker board of 3DCrafter. I use v9.1 and the widget is not immediately visible.
I import my models from Sketchup as a .stl file and fiddle about to get them oriented correctly. The widget appears when I click twice on the set of axes (Show Groups) in the top menu bar (immediately below File/Edit/etc). If I remember correctly this menu bar was not visible when I installed 3DCrafter and I needed help to get it to appear.
The widget toggles on and off as you click but it is usually in the middle of my model, so select the model and in the Properties and info window on the right, click on the second tab (collective properties) and in the drop down menu beside Draw select Wireframe. Now you can see through your model and see the widget!!!
Garry

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users