• You cannot reply to this topic

Track Viewer incorrectly displays the path Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   hroch 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS OR

Posted 03 February 2018 - 02:09 AM

Hello,

Track Viewer incorrectly displays the default path shelby-whitefish about Cutbank.
In TW
Attached File  TW.JPG (61.77K)
Number of downloads: 4
Path works correctly in OR and MSTS. When it is saved in TW stops working.

In MSTS AE
Attached File  MSTS AE.JPG (102.06K)
Number of downloads: 3
Here's the way
Attached File  shelby - whitefish.zip (2.52K)
Number of downloads: 2

Please repair
Thanks.

#2 User is offline   JeroenP 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 03 February 2018 - 07:23 AM

Hi,
TrackViewer is not so much drawing the path in a wrong way. It is indicating a broken path. A broken path here is one where there is a mismatch between the data in the .pat file and the data in the .tdb.
So the .pat file has
TrackPDP ( -12506 14779 -880.82 1145.45 335.413 2 0 )
The main numbers here are locations that can also be seen at the bottom of the window: TileX, TileZ, X, Y, Z. The Y value is the height. The .tdb, however, has
		TrackNode ( 74
			TrJunctionNode ( 0 218 1 )
			UiD ( -12506 14779 68 0 -12506 14779 -880.879 1153.96 335.472 0 -0.773929 0 )
The location is now in the UiD part, starting from the 5th number. The TileX and TileZ match, the X (-880.879) and Z (335.472) are close enough. The Y-value (1153.96), however, is 8.5 meters higher than what the .pat file has (1145.45). TrackViewer will report this as a broken node; it uses a 2.5 meter maximum distance between the .pat file and the .tdb. The fact that the height changed means something is wrong. Most likely the route has been modified after the path was created.

So, admittedly, TrackViewer is a bit strict here. The OR simulator is more lenient: it will just accept it. And apparently so does MSTS. I think it is a feature of TrackViewer to report the issue to the user, and at the same time make it easy to fix this (mainly for route developers of course, and I will admit that the Marias Pass is not under development anymore).

Fixing these broken nodes is easy enough. Under the path editor menu you can select 'Enable Editing'. And then you can either select 'Auto-fix all broken nodes' if you have a recent experimental version, or you can right-mouse click and select 'Auto-fix broken points'. Obviously you have to save it afterwards.

I have not yet checked what the result would be if I open this path in MSTS and save it again: will it correct the height?

So I think the default behavior of TrackViewer is as it should. But possible the community disagrees. I can also imagine that it makes sense to have the option to be less strict: this would allow people that only want to look at the paths, and not edit them, to have a nicer user experience.

One thing, though, I do not understand. You mention

When it is saved in TW stops working.
.What do you mean exactly with that?
  • Does TrackViewer stop working if you try to save it (this is probably not what you mean)
  • If you correct the path, save it, and load it into OR, does OR no longer work?
  • If you correct the path, save it, and load it into MSTS, does MSTS no longer work properly?
  • Or is it perhaps that the path can no longer be loaded into the MSTS activity editor?

Best regards. Jeroen.

#3 User is offline   hroch 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:MSTS OR

Posted 04 February 2018 - 02:23 AM

JeroenP, on 03 February 2018 - 07:23 AM, said:

So I think the default behavior of TrackViewer is as it should. But possible the community disagrees.

But I agree. I was confused that MSTS AE displays the path correctly and the TrackViewer does not.

JeroenP, on 03 February 2018 - 07:23 AM, said:

What do you One thing, though, I do not understand. You mention.mean exactly with that?

'Auto-fix all broken nodes' and 'Auto-fix broken points' working fine. I did something wrong. But I don 't know what. After repeated testing, it's all right. Excuse me for a false alarm.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users