• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Signal Linking Problem linking signals. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:54 PM

@Dave Very strange as this post was removed last night sometime between post time and 12 hours later so this is the second try at getting the information to Goku. Dave, if there's a problem please let me know. Thanks.V

Hi Goku,

I have begun installing signals as the last step in my rework of the Philadelphia Terminal Zone and have been unable to apply links to any signals.
I thought this could be a problem with the PRR-East so for a definitive test I tried installing and linking a few signals on the NECv4 route. No go! I'm unable to set the links for any linkable signal.

I have followed Traves' tutorial here at Trainsim.com for linking signals but have no success at all.
It seems the TSRE5 v0.69481 I'm using is now a suspect.
Fails to link in both PRR-East and NECv4 routes and the NECv4 does indeed have linkable signals. I was unable to link using TSRE but WAS able to link using the MSTS Route Editor.
Here's the pictures:
Signal placed. I want to link the top head only.
Attached File  SIGNAL-LINK-01.jpg (135.88K)
Number of downloads: 11
Attached File  SIGNAL-LINK-02.jpg (121.04K)
Number of downloads: 11
Attached File  SIGNAL-LINK-03.jpg (141.09K)
Number of downloads: 9
Click on sw exit to link. If in select mode track get selected, if not select mode, NOTHING happens.
Attached File  SIGNAL-LINK-04.JPG (209.59K)
Number of downloads: 6

That's it. This version of TSRE5, v0.69481 seems to not like linking signals. I will try to get an earlier version of TSRE running to check this theory out.
I still think I may be doing something wrong but at this stage, who knows?
In any Train Sim problem I uncover I always consider myself to be the prime suspect! http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/pleasantry.gif

regards,
vince
[EDIT/ADD] I have run a test using TSRE5_v0.6947 and signal linking does work as advertised! http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif
This looks like a possible problem with TSRE5, v0.69481.
Goku, I'm sorry but I've seemed to have uncovered a possible bug here? Any additional info you need, please ask.

regards,
vince

#2 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:38 AM

Works for me. Remember that "Link" button will only activate "Set Link [obj id]" button. You need to click this new button and then click on the track you want to link.

Don't know how you managed to do it on .6947 but not .69481

#3 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:50 AM

View PostGoku, on 11 January 2018 - 03:38 AM, said:

Works for me. Remember that "Link" button will only activate "Set Link [obj id]" button. You need to click this new button and then click on the track you want to link.Don't know how you managed to do it on .6947 but not .69481

Hi Goku,
Here is the step-by-step procedure that I finally worked out with Travis' assistance.
Linking Signals

1. Locate pointer on the track and place the signal. Red marker and signal object appear. Flip if necessary.
2. Click the 'Show list' button.
3. Click the 'Link Top Head' checkbox. A check in the box appears and the 'Link' button enables.
4. Click the 'Link' button. The 'Set link' button enables. The fields are blank.
5. Click on the 'Set link button.'
6. Click the switch exit track you want linked. Junction data appears in the Set Link fields.
7. Save . . .
Done!

This works for both versions I mentioned.
I simply missed the sequence of steps required; http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/pleasantry.gif
1.Click Show list, 2. Check box, 3. Click link, 4. Click Set Link, 5. Click Track.

Fortunately the instructions posted by Travis set me on the right path but were incomplete, missing a step.
That had me stuck for a while but I was finally able to figure out the step-by-step sequence needed. Sometime it's hard when learning to walk.

regards,
vince

#4 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OR/TSRE

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:52 AM

What?! I'm nearly certain I made reference to that button in the instructions. I'll check

EDIT: He's right, that could very much stand to be clearer in my instructions. I'll change that shortly

#5 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:12 AM

View Postebnertra000, on 11 January 2018 - 10:52 AM, said:

What?! I'm nearly certain I made reference to that button in the instructions. I'll check
EDIT: He's right, that could very much stand to be clearer in my instructions. I'll change that shortly

Or you could just use the step-by-step I posted. :)
Something I found that IS important:
Be sure the pointer is in stick-to-everything mode. [Shift]+Q toggles mode.

regards,
vince

when posting instructions never assume the end user 'knows' what you know. He doesn't! http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/unknw.gif

#6 User is offline   eugenR 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 05 May 2020 - 07:09 AM

Hi,
I have found other Hints to placing Signallinks for the deviating path of a switch.
Attached File  Signallink.jpg (384.33K)
Number of downloads: 7
To set a Signallink:
Click Button "Link" (red1.), then Button "Link Set" (red 2.) and now for selecting the deviating path of the switch
you have to click between the straight and the deviating rail very close to the root of the switch (red 3.). The straight Link is not so fussy.

If the Link is set, the Text in the Button "Link" will be written in green and in the Fields by From To you will see numbers.
BUT YOU WILL AVE ONLY ONE TRY.
If the Link is not set, you have to redo the whole procedure from 1. to 3.

If you have donne after Point 1. and 2. other functions then 3. select the Link (e.g. moving the camera), you have also to redo the whole procedure.

Regard
EugenR

#7 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant

Posted 05 May 2020 - 09:02 AM

Hi Eugen,
I have found that setting signal links much easier if the pointer (cursor) is in 'Stick to All' mode.
This is toggled by the key combo SHIFT+Q
Please note that there is NO indication of what mode the pointer is in other than the pointer can be placed on top of objects, like a tree or building for instance as the pointer normally is tied to the terrain, I.E. it stays on the ground.
Note that the 'Q' key is also used in a different combo, Ctrl+Q that is used to toggle Auto-Add to TDB when placing track or road sections.

I normally run with Auto-Add OFF as is reduced the possibility of moving a track section with the track still in the TDB which will cause huge problems; Read database corruption.

Regards,
vince

edit: add info

#8 User is offline   lenglel 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 06 May 2020 - 02:35 PM

Isn't there a setting in settings.txt to turn off editing tracks while placing other objects?
I think it turned off saving the tdb and track object positions.

#9 User is offline   lenglel 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher

Posted 06 May 2020 - 02:49 PM

I checked, and didn't see anything to do with track objects. That's the one thing I really don't like about this editor. It is just too easy to accidentally drag track shapes away from their place in the tdb.

#10 User is offline   Aldarion 

• Engineer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Owner

Posted 06 May 2020 - 03:52 PM

tell me about it :wacko: It's the one thing dont like either. Aside from it. Blessed be the one that made this great piece of software :thumbup3:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users