• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BP slow charging Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 08 January 2018 - 07:39 AM

One notation about running OR as a simulator rather than as a game: In real world railroading charging a brake line from zero (as when coupling to a sitting cut of cars) can take a fairly long time. A 100-car train can easily take 20-30 minutes to charge. The "initialize" key is set up to bypass that time for convenience sake, but it does not simulate the prototype. I've found that OR charge times are not generally excessive if one is attempting to emulate prototype railroading.

In the game vs. simulator realm, I posted elsewhere that I deigned an activity awhile back with some fairly basic switching and putting a train together, then running it on about a 100 mile route. If I ran OR like a "game," that activity could be run in about 2 hours. If I run as simulation of prototype railroading--including time to walk the train to couple and uncouple cars, "lace up" air hoses, charge the train line prototypically, make rules required brake tests, etc.--the activity takes right at 8 hours to run.

One thing that OR does not do prototypically--yet: On MU'ed diesel locomotives (in North America, and presumably elsewhere), all locomotives' air compressors that are cut in to the air system contribute to charging the train line, not just the player locomotive, and that includes distributed power locomotives cut in farther back in the train. I would hope that the OR team will address that deficiency at some point.

#12 User is offline   gdineshnathan 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 08 January 2018 - 01:11 PM

View Postcopperpen, on 08 January 2018 - 07:01 AM, said:

I highly recommend a visit to http://www.coalstone...s/brakes/#wagon which specifically deals with eng and wag air brakes for OR. Take plenty of time to study all of the information provided. Part of the problem is that the compressor ratings used by MSTS need to be tweaked for OR and correct sizes set for reservoirs. Adding the brake pipe volume to the wag section and giving it a reasonable volume is another item that will assist in improving release times. If you set up your eng and wag files as shown on that page, it will give you a solid base for experimenting with values that work.

Setting up the wag file as given in the link seems to fix the issue.

I also observe that, after panto raise, if I immediately go for quick release, it does not release that fast (behavior seems to be the same as previously). But, if I give it some time (say 3 to 5 seconds) before I go for quick release, the BP recharge happens at steady pace.

Thanks for your suggestion.

#13 User is offline   gdineshnathan 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 08 January 2018 - 01:12 PM

View Postrailguy, on 08 January 2018 - 07:39 AM, said:

One notation about running OR as a simulator rather than as a game: In real world railroading charging a brake line from zero (as when coupling to a sitting cut of cars) can take a fairly long time. A 100-car train can easily take 20-30 minutes to charge. The "initialize" key is set up to bypass that time for convenience sake, but it does not simulate the prototype. I've found that OR charge times are not generally excessive if one is attempting to emulate prototype railroading.

In the game vs. simulator realm, I posted elsewhere that I deigned an activity awhile back with some fairly basic switching and putting a train together, then running it on about a 100 mile route. If I ran OR like a "game," that activity could be run in about 2 hours. If I run as simulation of prototype railroading--including time to walk the train to couple and uncouple cars, "lace up" air hoses, charge the train line prototypically, make rules required brake tests, etc.--the activity takes right at 8 hours to run.

One thing that OR does not do prototypically--yet: On MU'ed diesel locomotives (in North America, and presumably elsewhere), all locomotives' air compressors that are cut in to the air system contribute to charging the train line, not just the player locomotive, and that includes distributed power locomotives cut in farther back in the train. I would hope that the OR team will address that deficiency at some point.

Good observations.

Points for further discussion by the OR team!

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users