• You cannot reply to this topic

Just some ideas Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   SP 0-6-0 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/ORTS

Posted 09 March 2018 - 12:10 PM

Another suggestion,

I am wondering if ORTS will eventually have oil firing capability for steam locomotives?

It seems Bill Hobbs might have made a discovery about setting up oil firing in MSTS. oil burner physics.

My link

These are the lines Bill discovered.

// oil burner parameters.
SIDDEF(SIDTDB_STEAM_OIL_BURNER_MIN_BURN_RATE, "SteamOilBurnerMinBurnRate")
SIDDEF(SIDTDB_STEAM_OIL_BURNER_MAX_BURN_RATE, "SteamOilBurnerMaxBurnRate")
SIDDEF(SIDTDB_STEAM_OIL_BURNER_CONTROL_EXPONENT, "SteamOilBurnerControlExponent")
SIDDEF(SIDTDB_STEAM_OIL_BURNER_STEAM_GENERATED_FRO M_ONE_POUND_OF_OIL, "SteamOilBurnerSteamFromOnePoundOfOilBurnt")

SIDDEF(SIDTDB_STEAM_OIL_BURNER_MAX_RATE_OF_TEMP_CH ANGE, "SteamOilBurnerMaxRateOfTempChange")
SIDDEF(SIDTDB_STEAM_OIL_BURNER_EFFICIENCY_EXPONENT , "SteamOilBurnerEfficiencyExponent")
SIDDEF(SIDTDB_STEAM_OIL_BURNER_MIN_BURNER_TEMP, "SteamOilBurnerMinBurnerTemperature")
SIDDEF(SIDTDB_STEAM_OIL_BURNER_MAX_BURNER_TEMP, "SteamOilBurnerMaxBurnerTemperature")

SIDDEF(SIDTDB_STEAM_OIL_BURNER_TEMP_CHANGE_EXPONEN T, "SteamOilBurnerTemperatureChnageExponent")
SIDDEF(SIDTDB_STEAM_OIL_BURNER_STEAM_GENERATION_EX PONENT, "SteamOilBurnerSteamGenerationExponent")
SIDDEF(SIDTDB_STEAM_OIL_BURNER_SMOKE_IN_ONE_POUND_ OF_OIL, "SteamOilBurnerSmokeForOnePoundOfOil")
SIDDEF(SIDTDB_STEAM_OIL_BURNER_STEAM_FUEL_TYPE, "SteamOilBurnerSteamFuelType")

I have noticed if I sub SteamOil for all the coal lines that MSTS does not puke. So there must be some support in the physics for oil firing of steam.

My question is does anyone know how these lines would be setup correctly in a eng file? I am trying to use these oil firing physics on the Challenger 3985.

Robert

#32 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 10 March 2018 - 03:04 AM

View PostSP 0-6-0, on 09 March 2018 - 12:10 PM, said:

Another suggestion,

I am wondering if ORTS will eventually have oil firing capability for steam locomotives?

It seems Bill Hobbs might have made a discovery about setting up oil firing in MSTS. oil burner physics.

My link

These are the lines Bill discovered.

// oil burner parameters.
SIDDEF(SIDTDB_STEAM_OIL_BURNER_MIN_BURN_RATE, "SteamOilBurnerMinBurnRate")
SIDDEF(SIDTDB_STEAM_OIL_BURNER_MAX_BURN_RATE, "SteamOilBurnerMaxBurnRate")
SIDDEF(SIDTDB_STEAM_OIL_BURNER_CONTROL_EXPONENT, "SteamOilBurnerControlExponent")
SIDDEF(SIDTDB_STEAM_OIL_BURNER_STEAM_GENERATED_FRO M_ONE_POUND_OF_OIL, "SteamOilBurnerSteamFromOnePoundOfOilBurnt")

SIDDEF(SIDTDB_STEAM_OIL_BURNER_MAX_RATE_OF_TEMP_CH ANGE, "SteamOilBurnerMaxRateOfTempChange")
SIDDEF(SIDTDB_STEAM_OIL_BURNER_EFFICIENCY_EXPONENT , "SteamOilBurnerEfficiencyExponent")
SIDDEF(SIDTDB_STEAM_OIL_BURNER_MIN_BURNER_TEMP, "SteamOilBurnerMinBurnerTemperature")
SIDDEF(SIDTDB_STEAM_OIL_BURNER_MAX_BURNER_TEMP, "SteamOilBurnerMaxBurnerTemperature")

SIDDEF(SIDTDB_STEAM_OIL_BURNER_TEMP_CHANGE_EXPONEN T, "SteamOilBurnerTemperatureChnageExponent")
SIDDEF(SIDTDB_STEAM_OIL_BURNER_STEAM_GENERATION_EX PONENT, "SteamOilBurnerSteamGenerationExponent")
SIDDEF(SIDTDB_STEAM_OIL_BURNER_SMOKE_IN_ONE_POUND_ OF_OIL, "SteamOilBurnerSmokeForOnePoundOfOil")
SIDDEF(SIDTDB_STEAM_OIL_BURNER_STEAM_FUEL_TYPE, "SteamOilBurnerSteamFuelType")

I have noticed if I sub SteamOil for all the coal lines that MSTS does not puke. So there must be some support in the physics for oil firing of steam.

My question is does anyone know how these lines would be setup correctly in a eng file? I am trying to use these oil firing physics on the Challenger 3985.

Robert

As far as I am aware, this is one of those things that never got set up in the MSTS code. MSTS does not puke because it is not designed to use those tokens, so just skips over them.

#33 User is online   SVRy_Steve 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 10 March 2018 - 06:01 AM

Visible steam (water vapor actually) is very temperature dependent. Steam is pretty much invisible in hot weather, where in freezing temps steam billows up in the exhaust, cylinder cocks, along with various appliances and leaky packing literally shroud the engine in steam. This would be a great effect!

Smoke and steam act differently with any engine having a cyclone front end or variations of it. These spin the exhaust to throw out and break up cinders and the smoke comes out the stack swirling. I suppose this would be hard to achieve, but would add a great deal of realism to those of us real steam nuts!

There's practically no end to the cool effects that could be added, but, considering what MSTS was like when it first came out, what we have now is mind blowing! A big thanks to everyone that's contributed!

#34 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 10 March 2018 - 03:06 PM

Another thing while we are talking about steam locomotives one thing I noticed while watching in the cab videos is when a steam locomotive slips you have to close the throttle immediately and then open it back up to gain power again. Open Rails And MSTS doesn't allow you to do that and slam the throttle shut. It only gradually allows the throttle to shut. It would be nice if there was a way to make it so you could open and shut throttle quicker and also open it up one notch at a time instead of persentage because it will open up and close 5 to 10% each time you open or shut it.

Brandon

#35 User is online   SVRy_Steve 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 10 March 2018 - 04:12 PM

Open or close throttle fast, maybe Shift A or Shift D.

#36 User is offline   Coonskin 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 10 March 2018 - 05:36 PM

Good idea Steve.

#37 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 11 March 2018 - 02:06 AM

View PostATSF3751, on 10 March 2018 - 03:06 PM, said:

Another thing while we are talking about steam locomotives one thing I noticed while watching in the cab videos is when a steam locomotive slips you have to close the throttle immediately and then open it back up to gain power again. Open Rails And MSTS doesn't allow you to do that and slam the throttle shut. It only gradually allows the throttle to shut. It would be nice if there was a way to make it so you could open and shut throttle quicker and also open it up one notch at a time instead of persentage because it will open up and close 5 to 10% each time you open or shut it.

Brandon

Control+A will close the throttle fast.

#38 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant

Posted 11 March 2018 - 07:25 AM

View Postcopperpen, on 11 March 2018 - 02:06 AM, said:

Control+A will close the throttle fast.

Thank you didnt even know that trick!

Brandon

#39 User is offline   Mike B 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:Mostly ORTS these days

Posted 11 March 2018 - 03:36 PM

I'll have to remember that trick too. Even with diesels, there are occasions when the throttle needs to be quickly closed.

As for the oil burner steam physics ... so would I be correct in guessing that the various cab-forward models are actually coded as coal burners even though all the visible appliances (like on the real locomotives except for the AC-9's as delivered) are for oil burners? Will need to look at a couple...

#40 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 27 March 2018 - 10:34 PM

Sorry to bump this thread but I just thought of something:

It's an idea for an "animated" coupling chain on rolling stock equipped with chain couplings. During coupling, it "pops" from its dangling position to a horizontal position, giving the illusion of the two pieces of rolling stock appearing coupled together.

Similarly, the coupling chain can be made to be flexible so the chain follows an adjacent piece of rolling stock around curves, grades, etc. (This scheme can also be used for drawbars, air, steam and water hoses, stoker tubes and other connections between pieces of rolling stock.

https://trello.com/c...-coupling-chain

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users