• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Just some ideas Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   palatino 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:trainsim

Posted 15 February 2018 - 12:09 PM

I would have a proposal that could, if feasible, remove some monotony to the Explore Mode.

It would be nice to have an option to allow once a signal has been passed, the following two signals are respetionally
- for the first signal YELLOW for example once in ten
- then if the first is YELLOW the second will be for example RED once on 10 - Yellow once on 10 or GREEN
- If RED could remain closed from 10 seconds to 2 minutes
I do not know if I have been very clear.
So, as if driving a real train, you should always pay attention to the signals.

#22 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OR/TSRE

Posted 15 February 2018 - 01:01 PM

palatino, on 15 February 2018 - 12:09 PM, said:

I would have a proposal that could, if feasible, remove some monotony to the Explore Mode.

It would be nice to have an option to allow once a signal has been passed, the following two signals are respetionally
- for the first signal YELLOW for example once in ten
- then if the first is YELLOW the second will be for example RED once on 10 - Yellow once on 10 or GREEN
- If RED could remain closed from 10 seconds to 2 minutes
I do not know if I have been very clear.
So, as if driving a real train, you should always pay attention to the signals.

Maybe for some users, this would be fine. For people like me, though, this would be trouble, as I regularly use explore mode for testing. Sometimes I use it for testing of signals, too, and that would cause me all kinds of trouble unless it was an optional feature.
Besides, on a sizeable number of MSTS-era routes, there are signals which will be stuck on red and have to be cleared by the dispatcher window

#23 User is offline   palatino 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:trainsim

Posted 15 February 2018 - 02:12 PM

I propose an optional device
of course

#24 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 17 February 2018 - 05:55 AM

Some of these are wonderful ideas but now we need the open rails team to put them to use and code them into the game. It takes time to do so I know but quite a bit of what has been proposed has been for quite awhile and nothing has gotten done.

Brandon

#25 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant

Posted 08 March 2018 - 05:09 PM

Here is another thought that I had. not sure if you guys have thought of this or if this is implemented yet but flange greasers along the tracks. Another thing I also thought of are Railroad car scanners for yards along with trying to figure out how to have working detectors as I have mentioned in an earlier post. I have also been curious if PTC "Positive Train Control" will be able to be implemented eventually at least for American Railroads as the government is mandating it starting the Dec of this year. Thank you to the Open Rails team for all of your hard work again.

Brandon

#26 User is offline   SP 0-6-0 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/ORTS

Posted 08 March 2018 - 06:11 PM

Full implementation of AWS, TPWS, ATS, PTC would be very interesting. It's been done in
other simulators. OpenBVE and I believe Trainz?

I've got a couple ideas I would like to see implemented.

There is a program similar to ORTS call RTrainsim out of Russia that is a work in progress
as well. The author wrote the code in C++. I had asked if he was interested in putting some
of his futures in ORTS but he does not know the code ORTS is written in or some such.

Anyway, These futures are as follows

1. The ability to walk or roam around in ORTS like you can in TS20XX and in RTrainsim.

Video My link You can freely walk all over the place in RTrainsim as seen in several of the videos on youtube.

2. Implementation of weather conditions and their effect on locomotives. Overheating, oil temp, cooling temp, traction motor temps. I would also like to see full implementation of controls for engines like in RTrainsim. For those that want to translate the original post there is a lot of information on what they have done. My link They have separate key commands for just about everything on the locomotive that can be manipulated. Cooling fans, shutters over radiators and fans, etc.

The shader models used for the unloading and loading of cars is better IMO in Rtrainsim. I would like to see something similar implemented in ORTS. My link

Being able to walk around the sim or walk right up to a train and be able to pull the coupling pins would be pretty cool. My link

Robert

#27 User is offline   SP 0-6-0 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/ORTS

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:19 PM

For steam locomotive smoke I would like to see more of a MSTS implementation so I can once again enjoy probably the most realistic steam locomotive exhaust ever created for MSTS.

Download: Effetti di fumo e vapore per locomotive

on http://www.ildeposito.net/

I would like to have synchronization with the drive wheels with billowing clouds of smoke and steam.

Also somehow syncing the exhaust and sounds for sudden wheel slips would be really neat for steamers.

Robert

#28 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant

Posted 09 March 2018 - 01:17 AM

It would be good to see those things that Robert has mentioned.

At a more basic level steam and smoke will need to be separated in the rendering.

They behave differently and it is possible to have more of one and less of the other.

The smoke colour needs to depend on the fire condition and primary and secondary air.

(Black for too much unburned coal, light gray for ideal combustion, colourless for too much air or too thin fire.)

#29 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 09 March 2018 - 04:00 AM

Hi Folks,

Once again I'd like to suggest full HID joystick support...

It's truly so much more enjoyable than pressing keys on a keyboard...

ORTS is the only software I use that doesn't support joysticks...

It would give us the ability to utilize the countless devices out there...

Such as the throttle quad...

Attached Image: 7323-3.jpg

I've used devices for years with both proprietary and third party software (Pinnacle) to emulate keystrokes for ORTS but it's far from ideal... It's cumbersome to setup - each locomotive requires a unique profile - it only allows the use of one device - there's lag while the keystrokes are pressed - and - performance is not that great - the fact that we need to emulate keystrokes effectively cripples these devices... If support was implemented - ORTS would be aware of the joysticks and would actually know the axis position - for example - you set an assigned reverser axis 2/3 of the way open - ORTS knows to set the locomotive reverser to the same position - it doesn't have to try counting key strokes to get there...

Of course the holy grail would be to add TrackIR support as well - you don't realize how much better a sim can be when you no longer have to use a arrow keys to look around...

Anyway - just my nickels worth - thanks for all you do !!!

Regards,
Scott

#30 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 09 March 2018 - 11:24 AM

scottb613, on 09 March 2018 - 04:00 AM, said:

Of course the holy grail would be to add TrackIR support as well - you don't realize how much better a sim can be when you no longer have to use a arrow keys to look around...

I'm looking forward to that too, Scott.

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users