• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Just some ideas Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OR/TSRE

Posted 07 January 2018 - 11:13 AM

I would think that alternate fuel sources could be done now. All you'd need is the model for it

#12 User is offline   ErickC 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 07 January 2018 - 11:54 AM

View PostATSF3751, on 07 January 2018 - 09:53 AM, said:

One more thing I just noticed recently while watching how to run steam locomotives is how when the Train Brake is applied almost all steam locomotives in the USA have the breaking system hooked up so the engineer can take off the engine brakes and still have the rest of the train brakes on. This is so the crew can keep the slack out and also keep the throttle open so the slack doesn't bunch in. Right now I don't believe this is possible and would be nice to see this implemented.

Brandon

The default key command for bailing off is the forward slash.

#13 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 07 January 2018 - 01:39 PM

View PostATSF3751, on 07 January 2018 - 09:53 AM, said:

A few things that really need upgrading and have already been talked about is steam locomotive and diesel smoke. The weather is getting much better but one option that would be really cool is to have routes hooked up to real world weather so the game knows what kind of weather the real route is in at the time you are playing and it syncs the weather from that route to your game and the weather changes as the weather in the real world. That could just be an option is my thought. Another thing I have also thought about is for steam locomotives especially with modern day is being able to fill up your water with a fire hydrant like most USA Steam Locomotives do now a days and also filling up the coal with a different method instead of coal towers and oil burning locomotives can fill up with a fuel truck. One more thing I just noticed recently while watching how to run steam locomotives is how when the Train Brake is applied almost all steam locomotives in the USA have the breaking system hooked up so the engineer can take off the engine brakes and still have the rest of the train brakes on. This is so the crew can keep the slack out and also keep the throttle open so the slack doesn't bunch in. Right now I don't believe this is possible and would be nice to see this implemented.

Brandon

If we can get past the hurdle of OR supplying couplings where none exist in a wag file so that it acts in the same way as MSTS, I am pretty sure that at some point the invisowag can be used to carry the scenic part of the fuel/water item, hydrant of coal/oil truck. We already have the code for refuelling if not close to a refuelling point for steamers.

#14 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:35 AM

A couple more things that I have thought about over the years is having both ribbon rail and jointed rail in one route along with being able to change the ballast color in different areas in one route. Also being able to convert to scale rail easier would also be a plus. Another thing I would really like to see is a way for open rails to use one sound set for a specific locomotive class but then be able to use a different horn and bell depending on what a specific locomotive has on it without making a whole new SMS files for just horn and bell sounds.

Brandon

#15 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:04 AM

Depending on what type of track you use, you could possibly change rail type. I'm using USTracks and will be doing that for a couple little-used branches. Ballast colors could be a bit trickier, though

#16 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant

Posted 26 January 2018 - 10:44 PM

Just came up with another idea but not sure if it could be implemented or not. While watching some videos I thought wonder if it would be possible to make locomotives mainly steam and diesel dirtier the more you use them? Just a thought.

Brandon

#17 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:42 PM

So I have been thinking about a few more ideas for Open Rails and how to make it more realistic. Here are some ideas as followed.

-Steam Locomotive Boosters- Having working boosters for steam locomotives that have them.

-Smoke on Steam Locomotives needs some improvements/re coding. Synchronized Smoke to locomotive drivers and puffing as smoke is exhausted along with lift.

-Bells on steam locomotives swing back and forth

-Sounds echo while in dense areas

-Changing weather while playing/real time weather

-Servicing of locomotives and freight cars

-Dynamic lighting

-minor derailments

-Hotboxes on locomotives and cars along with working hotbox detectors and car readers

-Giving Track warrants while in Multiplayer mode

-Being able to blow more then one whistle if double heading with steam locomotives. What I mean is if double heading being able to blow both engines whistles if double heading. Also could be done for diesels as well

-MOW track warrants/running by working MOW equipment

-Working FREDS.

-Broken switches and track, washouts and other real life situations

Well thats it for now but I am sure I will come up with more in the future. Let me know what you guys think of some of these ideas and if any would be feasible to put into the game.

Brandon

#18 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant

Posted 15 February 2018 - 06:05 AM

Some minor derailments would probably not be overly difficult. I would really be thrilled if you could then rerail it.
Minor defects on cars would probably not be too hard, either. I'm led to believe diesels have random failures, so the idea has just been started.
Detectors would probably just require some sound files for the call-out, and a test for any sefects in the train. Giving an axle location in the train could be difficult, but I'm not sure how accurate real detectors are.
Warrants could probably be given now if they have a paper copy and the dispatcher reads them. An electronic one would be better, but I'm not sure if that could be worked into some dispatching software.
I think there has been talk of having FREDs as objects rather than rolling stock. Not sure about where that went
Broken rails and switches, probably possible. Washouts, I'm not so sure about

#19 User is offline   espee 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 15 February 2018 - 06:35 AM

Just came up with another idea but not sure if it could be implemented or not. While watching some videos I thought wonder if it would be possible to make locomotives mainly steam and diesel dirtier the more you use them? Just a thought.

This is available in other games, OR would need a dirt_shader tho' ...

#20 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 15 February 2018 - 07:34 AM

You can make routes with different ballast textures. Presumably that means different rail textures as well. Not sure about the sound though, and that matters.
Christopher

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users