• You cannot reply to this topic

Just some ideas Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 28 December 2017 - 07:47 PM

Hey everyone,

I know I have not posted on here for awhile and hope everyone had a wonderful holiday and wishing everyone a happy New Year as well. Anyways while playing some Open Rails over my time off this week I thought of a few things that may be of interest and not sure if they have ever been discussed. The first thing I was thinking is for Steam Locomotives it would sure be nice if we could do blow downs of the boiler while in motion as there is no steam effect or button to activate a blow down. Another thing that came across my mind while playing Open Rails in the winter is having the snow accumulate depending on how much its snowing and blow around depending on how fast your train is going like how in the real world trains pick up snow especially when running at speed. Just a few thoughts I had and if anyone else has more ideas feel free to add them in this thread.

Brandon

#2 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 29 December 2017 - 06:49 AM

Yes, a boiler blowdown feature would be nice. I would think that the OR team could figure that one out pretty readily. The accumulating, blowing snow problem has been widely discussed over the years, both in MSTS and OR. Frankly, I doubt that it will ever happen because of the complexity to implement it. I'm still hoping that we can get wind driven precipitation and smoke implemented some time. OR is heading toward much more realistic weather, so I hope that it can get there with those things.

One of the big challenges in all of the train sims is the hot debate between "eye candy" and realistic train operation. Sims like TS20** have generally emphasized the former, while Run 8 has emphasized the latter. OR is sort of in the middle, with a lot of the early development emphasizing good train physics and realistic operation. For my 2 cents, a truly great simulator will have both eye candy and realistic operation. It really takes both to have a "full immersion" experience. Of course, a lot of simmers are only "playing a game," not really simulating real world railroading. An example that I have mentioned before: I developed an activity that, if one runs it as a "game," can be run in about 2 hours. Now, if one runs it as a prototypical railroad would--including the time for train crews to walk the train to make couplings, set or release handbrakes, do brake tests, and all of the things that are physically necessary to run the train and comply with GCOR, rules, and timetable requirements, the activity takes 8 hours to run. So, the debate will continue about what priority ongoing development of OR is going to have--game or true simulator. And, of course, a big challenge is matching the wish list for enhancements with the railroading knowledge, programming ability and time available of the OR team. I am truly amazed at and VERY THANKFUL for what the OR team has accomplished already.

#3 User is offline   shadowmane 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 01 January 2018 - 10:29 AM

Since this is an idea thread, and since I've been thinking of some ideas, I'll just jot them down here.

Timetable Mode Expansion = Virtual Railroad Mode

I like Timetable Mode, but it seems like it is written for passenger movement. That's changing with some of the newer commands, and I think I like it better than activity mode. However, I would like to see some expansions to the game that would enable the player to set up a virtual railroad.

1) Full GUI for Dispatcher Mode so that a player can be a dedicated dispatcher.

2) Creation of a Conductor Mode, where the player, teamed up with another player in Multiplayer, can ride the footplates, throw the switches, and conduct the train.

3) For Timetable/VR Mode at least, move away from using the .con file format in favor of a .blk format for blocks of cars (I know, we already have static consists that do this job, but we can give the new file format different variables that help the dispatcher). This would coincide with a sort of "business mode" for determining the origins and destinations of rolling stock within the simulation (it don't have to be a separate system, but perhaps part of the Dispatcher Mode). In the .blk file, you would have the ability to set the destination for the stock which would populate a train order displayed in the train order tab of the F1 screen. It would help in the dispatch of a switcher to put a train together according to a work order.

4) A Yardmaster/Hump Yard Mode for handling freight at a Classification Yard complete with its own GUI (or perhaps add this to Conductor Mode).

5) Eliminate paths for VR Mode. Only AI trains would need paths. User operated trains would depart from their point of origin in an engine pool and follow the instructions of the Yardmaster. Yardmaster Mode (or Yardmaster Mode in AI mode) can be used to allow the train to operate in the yard, then turn it over to the dispatcher when it is assembled and ready to depart. When it reaches it's destination, it's turned back over to the Yardmaster for disposal. The combination of this and using .blk files for cars would enable a complete virtual railroad. Again, only AI trains would need paths.

I know this would add complexity, but I would say add this mode to an addon, or to a separate server download specifically for running virtual railroads using Open Rails in Multiplayer mode. I'm sure I've got more ideas in my head. I've been reading the forums here for the last few days and it's created some of these ideas.

#4 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant

Posted 06 January 2018 - 06:16 PM

A couple more ideas that I came up with are overheating barrings, mechanical failures, maintenance for both steam and diesel locomotives, along with derailments. Yes I know the game is not for derailing and not the point of the Open Rail team but it would be nice to have little ones like picked switches or small derailments in the yards while switching.

Brandon

#5 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OR/TSRE

Posted 06 January 2018 - 07:37 PM

ATSF3751, on 06 January 2018 - 06:16 PM, said:

A couple more ideas that I came up with are overheating barrings, mechanical failures, maintenance for both steam and diesel locomotives, along with derailments. Yes I know the game is not for derailing and not the point of the Open Rail team but it would be nice to have little ones like picked switches or small derailments in the yards while switching.

Brandon

I can't help but agree. These kinds of things happen on real railroads, and would definitely add a degree of realism to operations. I think engine failures are programmed, but maybe just for diesels. A low oil alarm would help, too, especially for some of those really finicky EMDs. As for the derailments, some minor ones from things like bad switches or run-over derails would be a good one, especially if you were able to re-rail it somehow, be it with a crane or with a rerailer of some kind

#6 User is offline   APatman 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman

Posted 06 January 2018 - 08:00 PM

Hey Folks first post here,

First off, I am not a software engineer so I don't know how hard this would be but a utility to create .eng and .sms files would be great. These have to be hard coded presently. I have always found that troubleshooting these files has always given me grief. Any feedback would be appreciated.

#7 User is offline   shadowmane 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 06 January 2018 - 08:01 PM

Well if we can have working turntables, we can have working cranes. Shouldn't it be the same principle to turn a crane?

#8 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 06 January 2018 - 08:18 PM

shadowmane, on 06 January 2018 - 08:01 PM, said:

Well if we can have working turntables, we can have working cranes. Shouldn't it be the same principle to turn a crane?

There are animated construction tower cranes I've seen but are you thinking of a crane that loads/unloads a freight animation car load? What would it require? A special car that can be unloaded? And what road name for the car to satisfy the masses?

regards,
vince

#9 User is offline   ErickC 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 07 January 2018 - 09:22 AM

Actually, at this point I think all it requires is the crane model: http://www.elvastowe...ject-available/

#10 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant

Posted 07 January 2018 - 09:53 AM

A few things that really need upgrading and have already been talked about is steam locomotive and diesel smoke. The weather is getting much better but one option that would be really cool is to have routes hooked up to real world weather so the game knows what kind of weather the real route is in at the time you are playing and it syncs the weather from that route to your game and the weather changes as the weather in the real world. That could just be an option is my thought. Another thing I have also thought about is for steam locomotives especially with modern day is being able to fill up your water with a fire hydrant like most USA Steam Locomotives do now a days and also filling up the coal with a different method instead of coal towers and oil burning locomotives can fill up with a fuel truck. One more thing I just noticed recently while watching how to run steam locomotives is how when the Train Brake is applied almost all steam locomotives in the USA have the breaking system hooked up so the engineer can take off the engine brakes and still have the rest of the train brakes on. This is so the crew can keep the slack out and also keep the throttle open so the slack doesn't bunch in. Right now I don't believe this is possible and would be nice to see this implemented.

Brandon

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users