Elvas Tower: Problem creating complex path with Track Viewer - Elvas Tower

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Problem creating complex path with Track Viewer Exit direction on switch is correcto only the first time Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   JeroenP 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:51 AM

Dear all,
I have thought about this issue some more. The problem that was noted was that 'take other exit' was not working on the proper node, but on an earlier node (at the same junction). As a result a large part of the path was discarded.

There is actually two possible reasons for what is happening.
  • As mentioned before, it is possible that the path is not drawn far enough. In that case the junction that is selected is not the intended one but an earlier one. Do note that if the path is drawn exactly until the junction of interest, then 'take other exit' should not be available on that node.
  • But possibly, TrackViewer is not properly selecting the proper path node (in case multiple path nodes are on top of each other on the same junction node). TrackViewer is supposed to use the last (drawn) node. But perhaps, due to numerical issues, it is selecting the wrong. I now do have an idea where in the code this might be happening. But as was already noted, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. This makes it difficult to actually verify that the issue is solved. Does anyone have an example where the issue really happens often?

I did consider the idea that it should not be allowed to have 'take other exit' (one where a large part of the path is removed) should not be allowed on path nodes that have a reversal point later in the path. This is similar to not allowing 'take other exit' when there is already an end point.

Regarding point 1. Part of the issue is that when the path folds back on itself, it is not very clear until where the path is drawn. So I considered a few options to make it clearer until where the path was drawn.

The first possibility would be to draw a bigger disc on the last-drawn node:
Attached File  greenshot000020.jpg (53.62K)
Number of downloads: 1

A second possibility is to draw a disc with a different color on the last-drawn node (in this case red):
Attached File  greenshot000021.jpg (53.94K)

I can imagine that there are other options as well. Please let me know what you think.

In a next path editor, wouldn't it be possible to create complex paths by joining many smaller simple paths?

As last point. I am indeed considering the possibility to merge paths. This would then mean that the path you are working on would be extended with another existing path.

Best regards.
Jeroen.

#12 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:03 AM

To this aim in MSTS AE I use the "highlight" feature; it allows to understand well the sequence of the path nodes.

#13 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 09 January 2018 - 10:16 AM

Jeroen, so nice to see you active on the board again. :cool3:

Any interest in expanding the feature set of your track viewer?

#14 User is offline   JeroenP 

• Fireman

Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:51 PM

Dear Carlos and all.
Initially I had no idea what you were talking about, this highlight feature. And I did not have any working MSTS installation anymore. So I found my 10-year old laptop, re-installed Vista and MSTS and tried it. So if I get it right, the highlight feature just highlights the last drawn track, doesn't it? So that would be something like
Attached File  greenshot000052.jpg (133.45K)

Ok. I can imagine that is a good way (or perhaps the best. I would need to

Any interest in expanding the feature set of your track viewer?

Well, I am currently doing some (overdue?) maintenance stuff. I already worked on the documentation. And I would like to focus first on improving stability and usability of the existing features. This post was about both. And then perhaps take it from there.
Best regards. Jeroen.

#15 User is offline   rickloader 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:48 AM

Hi Jeroen, it is great to see you are developing track viewer. I think the proposed highlighting of the last path segment would be very helpful.
Can I also suggest highlighting the associated text when you mouse over a platform marker? In a crowded scene it is often hard to see the platform name, and you need this for timetables.
Thank you for trackviewer. It was one of the missing links in OR achieving independence from MSTS, and it is much appreciated.
rick

#16 User is offline   mapindo 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:OR & MSTS

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:24 PM

JeroenP, on 09 January 2018 - 12:51 AM, said:

But possibly, TrackViewer is not properly selecting the proper path node (in case multiple path nodes are on top of each other on the same junction node). TrackViewer is supposed to use the last (drawn) node. But perhaps, due to numerical issues, it is selecting the wrong. I now do have an idea where in the code this might be happening. But as was already noted, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. This makes it difficult to actually verify that the issue is solved. Does anyone have an example where the issue really happens often?

Hi Jeroen,
Thank you for your interest in the matter.
I attach the complex path that give me the problem. It's the composition of a freight train at the station of Borgo S. Donnino, an old italian route. You can download it here Il Deposito
The attached path is build with MSTS AE cause there was no way to do it with Track Viewer.

Good idea the higlight of the last drawn section!

See you soon
Davide

Attached File(s)

#17 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:32 AM

Hi Jeroen,
when you click on the "Highlight" button MSTS AE highlights the first track of the path. By clicking on the ..prev and ..next buttons the previous or next track of the path is highlighted. So, by pressing such buttons multiple times, you can check very well how your path behaves in case of multiple reversal points. Starting highlight with the last track, as you suggest, instead of the first track, may be a good idea.

#18 User is offline   mapindo 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:OR & MSTS

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:48 AM

I'm not an expert activity maker, but I agree with Csantucci.
See you soon
Davide

#19 User is offline   JeroenP 

• Fireman

Posted 14 January 2018 - 05:42 AM

I have commited an update to TrackViewer to highlight the last drawn-section. You can select whether you want that via the Path-Editor menu.
I was wondering whether in complex situations it would not also be useful to highlight not so much the last-drawn section, but everything since the last reversal point (if you have one of course). Please let me know.

Note that I also have updated the manual. Not just about this, but I did also quite some maintenance that was overdue.

rickloader, on 11 January 2018 - 07:48 AM, said:

Can I also suggest highlighting the associated text when you mouse over a platform marker? In a crowded scene it is often hard to see the platform name, and you need this for timetables. rick

Dear Rick. Instead of highlighting the text itself in a crowded scene, I would suggest adding it to the statusbar (at the bottom). What do you think?
Attached File  greenshot000062.jpg (134.74K)
Number of downloads: 0

Best regards,
Jeroen.

#20 User is offline   PA1930 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:-

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:04 AM

Very nice work, Jeroen. Thanks for your effort and for your updates.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users