Elvas Tower: 32-bit memory management failure - Elvas Tower

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

32-bit memory management failure Tsre5 crashes route/consist editor mode Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 16 December 2017 - 08:26 PM

After waiting on the sidelines for many months I decided to take a serious look at TSRE5.

I have discovered that there is a memory management problem for the 32-bit versions. When TSRE5 allocates more than 2 GB of memory it crashes.

In consist editor mode this will happen if you have many GBs of engines/wagons. As you browse more and more shapes, more and more memory is allocated and never released. There is no management of memory and eventually the application runs out of memory and crashes. This also happens very easily with routes like MLT CNBala2, where there are many terrain texture files. As more textures are loaded the application runs out of memory and crashes.

Sorry for the bad news. Open Rails had this same type of problem some years back, even though at the time the development team had not tested for this. Eventually they discovered, but never acknowledged my findings, and finally rectified what I had known and reported for some years.

Thanks,
Steve

#2 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 17 December 2017 - 12:23 PM

There is no management of memory and eventually the application runs out of memory and crashes. This also happens very easily with routes like MLT CNBala2, where there are many terrain texture files. As more textures are loaded the application runs out of memory and crashes.

Yes, I know about it. Memory managment was disabled in TSRE, because editing data is something much more advanced than just viewing and I had no time to work with so many possible errors. When memory managment is disabled, you have almost no crash experience with TSRE.

Of course it will be enabled, but with new game engine. Now it is waste of time if I want to make new engine anyway.

The memory leak is mostly caused by not removing textures from OpengGL. If you have out of memory errors, you can reduce Texture quality in settings.txt to wastly lower RAM usage.

#3 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 17 December 2017 - 07:38 PM

View PostGoku, on 17 December 2017 - 12:23 PM, said:

Yes, I know about it. Memory managment was disabled in TSRE, because editing data is something much more advanced than just viewing and I had no time to work with so many possible errors. When memory managment is disabled, you have almost no crash experience with TSRE.

So even in a 64-bit environment with the 64-bit TSRE5 executable, this memory leak will crash the editor, when you run out of physical memory?

Of course it will be enabled, but with new game engine. Now it is waste of time if I want to make new engine anyway.

Please, what "new" game engine are you considering?

The memory leak is mostly caused by not removing textures from OpengGL. If you have out of memory errors, you can reduce Texture quality in settings.txt to wastly lower RAM usage.

I have not found an entry in the settings.txt file that would accomplish what you have suggested. Could you please clarify with an example?

Dziękuję Piotr!

#4 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 18 December 2017 - 05:16 AM

So even in a 64-bit environment with the 64-bit TSRE5 executable, this memory leak will crash the editor, when you run out of physical memory?

Yes.

Please, what "new" game engine are you considering?

My own of course. Based on Opengl4.

I have not found an entry in the settings.txt file that would accomplish what you have suggested. Could you please clarify with an example?

textureQuality = 2

Default value is 1. 2 is 2x smaller (so 4x less memory usage), 4 is 4x smaller (so 16x less memory usage).

#5 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:51 PM

Piotr,

Sorry to bump this thread from a few months back. I have tried using reduced texture sizes, but really I still bump into the out of memory error over and over again. Maybe I am the exceptional type who has many gigabytes worth of rolling stock.

It would be very useful to have a meter/display that tells the user they are getting close to the memory limit for their environment, 32 or 64 bit. Likewise, it would be great to have a purge button, for cached shapes and textures. Otherwise it forces the user to exit your program and start over. Losing where they were in the list of wagons and engines. I have yet to try TSRE5 in 64 bit mode on a machine with 32gb or more.

Dziękuję Piotr!

Regards,
Steve

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users