• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Visual C# Express 201x Still Available somewhere? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   farrmp 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails/MSTS

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:43 AM

I'm thinking about trying to compile OpenRails myself. I don't seem to be able to find "Visual C# Express 201x" as a stand alone program anywhere. M$ would like me to install Visual Studio 2017 -Community Edition- which is over 8 Gigs of BLOAT! It's Free?
Do I have any options?

Paul

#2 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:35 PM

I had the same issue, and did not go ahead.

#3 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 14 December 2017 - 05:42 AM

I am using Visual Studio 2017 -Community Edition- . I got it free. You have to register, else after 30 days the license will expire.

#4 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 14 December 2017 - 06:28 AM

farrmp, on 12 December 2017 - 09:43 AM, said:

I'm thinking about trying to compile OpenRails myself. I don't seem to be able to find "Visual C# Express 201x" as a stand alone program anywhere. M$ would like me to install Visual Studio 2017 -Community Edition- which is over 8 Gigs of BLOAT! It's Free?
Do I have any options?

Where exactly did you get this 8 GB number from? As far as I can tell, the installation size of the components needed for Open Rails (which is just the ".NET desktop development" workload) is 2.8 GB, although there might be a bit more for the core IDE (but certainly not another 5 GB).

#5 User is offline   farrmp 

• Hostler

Posted 14 December 2017 - 11:22 AM

James,

I actually went ahead and installed Visual Studio 2017 -Community Edition- using the default installation (Not Custom).
The Installer then informed me that the installation would require approximately 8.33 GB of disk space did I want to continue? Yes. I watched as it installed and about 90% of the Installed Components I will NEVER use. (SQL, SQL Server, Visual Basic Etc.,Etc., Etc.)
Thank you Carlo for warning me about registering. I do NOT normally connect my Win7 computer to the internet--I missed that point!

Paul

#6 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 December 2017 - 11:51 AM

farrmp, on 14 December 2017 - 11:22 AM, said:

Thank you Carlo for warning me about registering. I do NOT normally connect my Win7 computer to the internet--I missed that point!

The 2017 requirement to register kicks in a month after installation, but it's been pretty innocuous - not the deluge of marketing I was fearing.

#7 User is offline   mbm_OR 

• Fireman

Posted 14 December 2017 - 01:45 PM

I watched as it installed and about 90% of the Installed Components I will NEVER use. (SQL, SQL Server, Visual Basic Etc.,Etc., Etc.)

Once Visual Studio Community 2017 is installed, you can use Visual Studio Installer to customize your installation, and remove everything you did not use.

#8 User is offline   farrmp 

• Hostler

Posted 14 December 2017 - 02:10 PM

mbm_OR, on 14 December 2017 - 01:45 PM, said:

Once Visual Studio Community 2017 is installed, you can use Visual Studio Installer to customize your installation, and remove everything you did not use.

Thank you for that tip mbm_OR !

Paul

#9 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 14 December 2017 - 02:18 PM

I actually went ahead and installed Visual Studio 2017 -Community Edition- using the default installation (Not Custom).
The Installer then informed me that the installation would require approximately 8.33 GB of disk space did I want to continue? Yes. I watched as it installed and about 90% of the Installed Components I will NEVER use. (SQL, SQL Server, Visual Basic Etc.,Etc., Etc.)

I don't remember there being a default, as it specifically has the workloads (the primary options in the installer) so it only installs what you need. I suggest you open the installer again and show us what you've got installed, because it's entirely possible you've selected a whole bunch of unnecessary things. You can also fine tune beyond the workloads, since I expect the ".NET desktop development" does include a few SQL-related things you don't need, but I still can't see that workload alone being 8 GB right now.

#10 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 December 2017 - 07:29 AM

farrmp, on 12 December 2017 - 09:43 AM, said:

I'm thinking about trying to compile OpenRails myself. I don't seem to be able to find "Visual C# Express 201x" as a stand alone program anywhere.

Sorry you were misled. That information on the website was out of date - my fault I'm afraid. We updated the detailed information http://openrails.org...code/#compiling when we changed to VS 2015/17 but I forgot that Visual C# Express was also mentioned at http://openrails.org/download/source/

I've replaced the out-of-date info with a link to the good detail (and committed the change to SVN). There's already a note there about using less disk space.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users