• You cannot reply to this topic

Dynamic lights Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 01 December 2017 - 02:22 PM

View PostGuille592, on 29 November 2017 - 11:13 AM, said:

Hello there, I was wondering if some of the developers here were working in dynamic lights? Streetlamps for example, as for the old MSTS light system is quite obsolete, is there any progress in this sector or did anyone thought of this?

I am not aware of any work currently going on for adding more than just the player's headlight, but it has been on our minds for years. The trouble is, I believe it'll involve fairly large changes to the rendering code and we don't have anyone right now with both the expertise and time to work on that.

#12 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 08 December 2017 - 10:14 AM

View Postrailguy, on 01 December 2017 - 06:58 AM, said:

The difference between "eye candy" and realism is what features take the simulation from being just a "game" to being a full immersion simulation.

In a simulation everything is important.

But it isn't possible to simulate everything as perfect as the real world is... so it's a matter of priorities.

#13 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 01 January 2018 - 11:32 AM

View PostJovet, on 08 December 2017 - 10:14 AM, said:

In a simulation everything is important.

But it isn't possible to simulate everything as perfect as the real world is... so it's a matter of priorities.

Extra important when there are so few active developers.

#14 Inactive_Hidetoshi6721_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 22 October 2023 - 01:03 AM

View Postrailguy, on 01 December 2017 - 06:58 AM, said:

This is one feature where TS20**, Run8, and Trainz have MSTS and OR beat. Now, some simulator purists will say that dynamic lights are just eye candy and should be low priority. I disagree. The difference between "eye candy" and realism is what features take the simulation from being just a "game" to being a full immersion simulation. Contrary to what a lot of route builders, rolling stock builders, etc. seem to think, in the real world, a lot of train action is at night. So, it hardly gets one immersed in the simulation if the only thing with dynamic lights is the locomotive's headlight, with cities, towns, and farms looking like they are suffering a national electricity blackout after dark. The "light cones" that are used in lieu of dynamic lights look dorky, but, right now, it's the only alternative available in OR. Better dynamic lights are evidently possible because those other sims have them. Why not us? Attached is a screenshot that I made a couple of years ago TS20**. That's would OR should be shooting for in dynamic lighting.

I'd opt for that kind of graphics for OR rather than alcohol.
Maybe it's going to take years, because ORTS development is rather slow.

I'm not sure of things. This is not a hate message. I still love Open Rails, but night activities are just.. boring. It would be great to see that kind of realism one day.

#15 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 22 October 2023 - 01:14 AM

There are some threads, discussing different visions, how to advance that - use a search by keyword - if interested about actual opinions and tendencies. In brief - just talkings for now. No real advanse so far. It will demand new model format... which would fit better - no one knows for sure.

#16 User is offline   railroadengineer 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:Train Simulator

Posted 24 October 2023 - 05:26 AM

View PostHidetoshi6721, on 22 October 2023 - 01:03 AM, said:

ORTS development is rather slow.

Try TSW4, now it have an editor.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic