Elvas Tower: Multiple crossing.sms files within a route - Elvas Tower

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Multiple crossing.sms files within a route Could this be done in future? Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 01 December 2017 - 12:48 PM

Wow, that was fast, Goku! Yes, I agree that file name has to be entered manually.

#12 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 01 December 2017 - 12:50 PM

In the future, if route builders will want different solution, I can make a new file for a list of sound files only for crossings, like I made for weather changes.

#13 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OR/TSRE

Posted 01 December 2017 - 01:42 PM

This is now on Trello at https://trello.com/c...crossing-sounds

#14 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 02 December 2017 - 01:01 AM

I have two additional thoughts for discussion about this matter:
1) Maybe the sound file name could be added to the crossing's .sd file instead of to the .w file? This way all crossings using a specific shape would have the same sound, which seems reasonable and quite faster to manage.
2) The addition of the sound file name, be it to the .sd file or to the .w file, could be generalized to all types of shapes (except rolling stock, that have the associate sound files in .wag and .eng files). This way sounds could be easily added to e.g. animated shapes (cranes, mills, shops and so on) and optionally maybe also to cars spawned in car spawners.

#15 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 02 December 2017 - 02:24 AM

I think, route builders must decide: Specific sound for crossing shape would be easier to use, because no need to type sound name each time. But will it solve all cases?

#16 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant

Posted 02 December 2017 - 08:02 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 02 December 2017 - 01:01 AM, said:

I have two additional thoughts for discussion about this matter:
1) Maybe the sound file name could be added to the crossing's .sd file instead of to the .w file? This way all crossings using a specific shape would have the same sound, which seems reasonable and quite faster to manage.
2) The addition of the sound file name, be it to the .sd file or to the .w file, could be generalized to all types of shapes (except rolling stock, that have the associate sound files in .wag and .eng files). This way sounds could be easily added to e.g. animated shapes (cranes, mills, shops and so on) and optionally maybe also to cars spawned in car spawners.

It could be done that way, as well. I think the only issue then would be if someone used one shape and wanted different bells in different places.
I do like the idea of other static objects having sounds, maybe not just animated ones

#17 User is offline   ErickC 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 02 December 2017 - 12:09 PM

That might actually be a help rather than a curse, you could make a second iteration of the same shape with its own sounds specified, and that second shape could have textures with variations in weathering, which would increase the visual variety as well.

#18 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant

Posted 02 December 2017 - 12:42 PM

View PostErickC, on 02 December 2017 - 12:09 PM, said:

That might actually be a help rather than a curse, you could make a second iteration of the same shape with its own sounds specified, and that second shape could have textures with variations in weathering, which would increase the visual variety as well.

Hmm... Didn't think of that. The two crossings on a line around here that still have mechanical bells do look a bit rougher around the edges than the other, newer installations

#19 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:37 PM

As it requires few code lines more, I'm oriented in providing the double possibility, that is inserting a line like following one in the .w file LevelCrObj block
ORTSSoundFileName ( "differentcrossingsound.sms" )

and also inserting a line like following one in the .sd file of the crossing shape
ESD_ORTSSoundFileName ( "differentcrossingsound.sms" )

If both are present, the first overrides the second.
For the first case it is suggested to place the sound file in the sound folder of the route, although it will also be searched in the general Train Simulator Sound folder.
For the second case there is no suggestion. The file will again be searched in both folders.

#20 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 08 December 2017 - 10:02 AM

View PostGoku, on 02 December 2017 - 02:24 AM, said:

I think, route builders must decide: Specific sound for crossing shape would be easier to use, because no need to type sound name each time.

Yes that could be helpful.

View PostGoku, on 02 December 2017 - 02:24 AM, said:

But will it solve all cases?

No it will not.

None of my crossing bell shapes, for example, are interactive; nor do they need to be. So assigning different sound files to them won't have any effect.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users