Elvas Tower: Multiple crossing.sms files within a route - Elvas Tower

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Multiple crossing.sms files within a route Could this be done in future? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OR/TSRE

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:53 PM

I'm working on a route right now, placing roads, and wondered if something like this could be done. I like the idea of being able to mix it up a little bit, since in a route of any real size, there is bound to be some variety in sounds between crossings, and occasionally, within the same crossing. I don't think I've seen any reference to this in the manual, so I'm hoping this hasn't been done already.

My idea for how this would work would have it similar to the way turntables are done, like this:

BellSound (
WFile ( xxx.w )
UiD ( xxx )
SMSFile ( xxx.sms )
)

What do you gents think?

#2 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:53 AM

I don't think a central repository of multiple crossing.sms files is the final solution, but it could be a start. A better solution might be the ability to specify a specific .sms for each and every LevelCr object. If none is specified, the default crossing.sms is invoked.

There are several other enhancements that would be appreciated with regard to LevelCr objects, so pile this one onto the list.

#3 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 30 November 2017 - 10:00 AM

There is a (not perfect) workaround by muting the standard level crossing file at a specific level crossing, and setting there a sound source that enables its sound when the train nears the crossing.

#4 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant

Posted 30 November 2017 - 11:07 AM

Joseph,

That was kind of my idea. They wouldn't be called crossing.sms but something unique, with the default crossing.sms being used if nothing else is specified.

Carlo,

While it is a solution, there are a few issues with it, not least being that it will sound whether or not the crossing is activated. While it may not be noticed running at speed, if switching or stopped near the crossing or on a parallel line, the ringing crossing bell will stand out

#5 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 30 November 2017 - 11:41 AM

Yes, that's what I mean when I say "not perfect". But for a crossing in the country, where trains don't stop, it's not too bad. I've used this.
Of course a more complete solution would be better. You could start creating a Trello box for it. Implementation should not be so terrible.

#6 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant

Posted 30 November 2017 - 12:46 PM

Alright, I can try and figure out Trello. Good to hear it should be pretty simple - I was aiming for that

#7 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 01 December 2017 - 01:29 AM

A blueprint has been created for approval https://blueprints.l...crossing-sounds .
I have foreseen an additional optional string field within the LevelCr () block of the .w files. Such field is named ORTSSoundFileName. When this field is present, e.g.
ORTSSoundFileName ( "SpecificCrossingSound.sms" )

OR uses such sound for that level crossing.
Of course in theory every level crossing could have another sound.
OR looks for such sound file first in the Sound folder of the route, and then in the general Sound folder of Train Simulator.

To Goku: could you implement this in TSRE?

To ebnertra000: how to create a Trello box is explained here http://www.elvastowe...post__p__201634 .

#8 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 01 December 2017 - 05:18 AM

View Postebnertra000, on 30 November 2017 - 11:07 AM, said:

That was kind of my idea. They wouldn't be called crossing.sms but something unique, with the default crossing.sms being used if nothing else is specified.

Ahhh, well you wrote:

View Postebnertra000, on 28 November 2017 - 07:53 PM, said:

My idea for how this would work would have it similar to the way turntables are done, ...

and turntables use a central-repository file (turntables.dat) to keep them all straight. It sounded to me like you wanted a central-repository for level crossing [sounds] as well.

Thanks for your continued hard work, Carlo.

#9 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant

Posted 01 December 2017 - 09:03 AM

I thought there was some aversion to direct .w file entries, unless that was just an early thing for backward-compatibility. Seeing as that is the current plan, I do think it would be even easier to keep track of. So it's perfectly fine with me

#10 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 01 December 2017 - 10:28 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 01 December 2017 - 01:29 AM, said:

To Goku: could you implement this in TSRE?

Yes, here it is implemented: http://koniec.org/ts...RE5_v0.6941.exe
User must enter file name by hand, because there is a lot of files in SOUND directory, so list would be not useful.

I thought there was some aversion to direct .w file entries, unless that was just an early thing for backward-compatibility.

OR has additional solution for MSTS RE users. You can have second .w file in OpenRails directory. But, better just use TSRE :)

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users