• You cannot reply to this topic

Feedback on V 0_693 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 11 November 2017 - 02:26 PM

Goku, sorry about the delay in replying to your changes in version 693... board issues, route problems, etc.

* The water window is a HUGE help when dealing with rivers. The only add'l suggestion I can make is to point out the need for a compass. Knowing which way is North, etc, is important when using the new water window... it's just too awkward w/o a compass.

* The Put function remains a problem. My suggestion was to add controls to the Terrain window to fully manage flips, rotations, and scaling when first applying tertex art. You added it to the properties window. The difference means the guy using TSRE has to do both Put and do corrections in the properties window. If the controls were on the Terrain window he could specify what is needed and Put the art correctly in one pass. That way the only time he'd need to use the properties window to correct something is if he goofed in the first place. Now we have to always make corrections. The other advantage is the way tertex art is applied in the Put function is quite ideal -- fast and easy to do. IMO using the same methods to "apply" water (on or off) would be very, very nice.

* Good to see the name of the tertex file displayed. Still need to provide the same functions for microtex, tho that is a lower priority.

* WRT all of the textures displayed right underneath the Pick/Put/Load buttons: I have often wanted to remove a few of them as I had finished using some (or accidentally picked/loaded a duplicate). Can you add a Remove function that unloads the current selected tertex texture? Then we could do the occasional cleanup and remove art that is no longer part of the current task.

Q: Why is the select function so slow?

#2 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 11 November 2017 - 02:58 PM

* The Put function remains a problem. My suggestion was to add controls to the Terrain window to fully manage flips, rotations, and scaling when first applying tertex art. You added it to the properties window. The difference means the guy using TSRE has to do both Put and do corrections in the properties window. If the controls were on the Terrain window he could specify what is needed and Put the art correctly in one pass.

Your mouse doesn't have right button or what? Did you ever looked what's there?

Q: Why is the select function so slow?

Can you explain?

#3 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 11 November 2017 - 04:46 PM

https://i.imgur.com/ttaei6t.png

#4 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

Posted 11 November 2017 - 08:18 PM

View PostGoku, on 11 November 2017 - 02:58 PM, said:

Your mouse doesn't have right button or what? Did you ever looked what's there?

Can you explain?

Please direct me to your earlier post where you mention these functions are context sensitive. If I missed that then I'm sorry I commented on this matter. OTOH if no such post exists then it is all on you. Do not chastise me for not knowing what you fail to mention.

WRT the select button: Click on select, click on patch, wait 2-3 seconds. Hold down <shift> or <cntl>, click on second patch (highlighting just a couple of patches), wait 2-3 seconds. Repeat on a couple of patches one patch over. OTOH when doing a Put function I can apply art to 10 patches in a second and follow the course of the river as well. Very fast.

#5 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 12 November 2017 - 02:34 AM

These context menu options works for put tool.

Also, on my computer selection is instant, not 2-3 sec ...

#6 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 18 November 2017 - 12:23 PM

WRT the select button: Click on select, click on patch, wait 2-3 seconds. Hold down <shift> or <cntl>, click on second patch (highlighting just a couple of patches), wait 2-3 seconds. Repeat on a couple of patches one patch over.

Check new version 0.6934 if it helps.

#7 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

Posted 18 November 2017 - 01:08 PM

Select is very fast now, whatever you did is greatly appreciated.

#8 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

Posted 18 November 2017 - 01:17 PM

Different item: Please take a look at how the person using TSRE locates and turns off the water layer for any patch adjacent to but not used by a river/stream. AFAIK the only process involves suppressing the display of the terrain to find that patch and then a certain amount of frustration in trying to select it, usually failing, which results in having to turn on the display of terrain which, of course, make it difficult to find the right patch again so the water layer can be killed.

I dunno what the deal is WRT why the select function usually fails when terrain is not displayed but it seems to be > 75% of the time. Perhaps because the camera has been pulled back so one can see the whole of the water course on a tile....

#9 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 18 November 2017 - 01:31 PM

Maybe just move camera under terrain and then you can easily see the water under terrain and remove it?

I dunno what the deal is WRT why the select function usually fails when terrain is not displayed but it seems to be > 75% of the time.

You can't select terrain if it is not displayed.

I see that terrain selection doesn't work when you click on the terrain grid - it shouldn't be there when rendering selection layer. It can be fixed in future version.

#10 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

Posted 18 November 2017 - 03:09 PM

View PostGoku, on 18 November 2017 - 01:31 PM, said:

Maybe just move camera under terrain and then you can easily see the water under terrain and remove it?

You can't select terrain if it is not displayed.

I see that terrain selection doesn't work when you click on the terrain grid - it shouldn't be there when rendering selection layer. It can be fixed in future version.

The curious thing is sometimes it does get selected. I'll try going underground.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users