• You cannot reply to this topic

Terrain Maps Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Garry 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails + TSRE5

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:25 AM

Hi Goku
I have just noticed something odd with terrain maps.
I have downloaded and saved an OSM map for tile -5811 14716. But the file is saved as -58124716.png. So does TSRE add the two digits together or is this an oddness that has slipped in.
Just curious as I opened the map file in Paint Shop Pro to highlight particular areas, and it took me a while to find the file I needed.

I love maps, they make track laying so much easier.
Garry

#2 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 03 November 2017 - 10:16 AM

Garry, you should be aware that the accuracy of retired rail lines in OSM can be wrong. A lot of places it's been rails to trails and unfortunately there are quite a few instances I've seen where the trail departs the rail route and then returns some distance further down the route. So it's always best to check those against other sources.

I've tried to get the map images portion of TSRE to work but have had no success at all. Have you got that working?

#3 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 03 November 2017 - 10:20 AM

I have downloaded and saved an OSM map for tile -5811 14716. But the file is saved as -58124716.png. So does TSRE add the two digits together or is this an oddness that has slipped in.

The map files are saved for TSRE internal use and the name is tile hash used by TSRE, not world position.

#4 User is offline   Garry 

• Fireman

Posted 03 November 2017 - 11:30 AM

Hi Dave
I use the osm maps as it is easy to see where everything is, black lines on a white background. I have tried using the google earth images but it can be difficult to follow the route in TSRE. I do like to have google earth pro open though, and this is very useful for 3d views of buildings and structures, use the ruler tool to get measurements, and sometimes there is even a sketchup model already done to act as a guide.
My route is present day Zurich in Switzerland, and I am not too fussy about getting everything in exactly the right place, I think sometimes a building that is set away from the tracks goes very well adjacent to the rails.
I have got Google earth images working, they take several minutes to download here. Have you got a google maps key, mine is 39 characters long?
Garry

#5 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 03 November 2017 - 12:49 PM

In my own work w/ OSM maps I found paths that diverged from the rail line by as much as 30m to the side that last a couple of hundred meters in length. It included kinks. I happened to have the USAPhotoMaps images for the same area so I went to the bother of converting the OSM data to USAPhotomap .XML waypoints and by that means was able to compare the image to the OSM data. I corrected the obvious errors and then turned the waypoint data into ordinary markers. I felt the combination of markkers and OSM image worked very well, especially for roads.

Do I understand correctly that by your omission in your reply thatyou havn't tried the image feature in TSRE?

#6 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 03 November 2017 - 01:01 PM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 03 November 2017 - 12:49 PM, said:

In my own work w/ OSM maps I found paths that diverged from the rail line by as much as 30m to the side that last a couple of hundred meters in length. It included kinks. I happened to have the USAPhotoMaps images for the same area so I went to the bother of converting the OSM data to USAPhotomap .XML waypoints and by that means was able to compare the image to the OSM data. I corrected the obvious errors and then turned the waypoint data into ordinary markers. I felt the combination of markkers and OSM image worked very well, especially for roads.

If you like comparing OSM data with images, try JOSM: https://josm.openstreetmap.de/
It's ultra powerfull OSM data editor. You can use many maps layers here, and even load own images (old paper maps).
It will be main route building tool if TSRE will have procedural route generation in the future - it will be based on OSM files.

OSM accuracy depends on location. Maybe in USA there is not so much peoples working on it? In Europe data quality is outstanding.

#7 User is offline   Garry 

• Fireman

Posted 04 November 2017 - 04:11 AM

Hi Dave
"Image Feature" -- I assumed this was using google earth images instead of OSM.
I have not used any other images.
Garry

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users