All-season TerrTex? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   SP 0-6-0 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/ORTS

Posted 27 October 2017 - 08:17 PM

Copied from TS.com.

Howdy!...

I'm curious to know if OR has gotten away from the two-season TerrTex format and moved ahead with an all-season TerrTex. I did a search over at ET and came upon a thread where this was discussed, but it seemed that the thread evolved into a short discussion about AlternateTexture ( 256 ), which is another topic I'm curious about, and I'm unsure what the outcome was of that thread. Can anyone shed some light on this ?

Thanks,
Peter

Peter, I too am interested in all season terrtex texture compatibility and I hope ORTS will eventually make this possible?

I understand Csantucci has submitted a beta but it was rejected appearently? I would like to know what the current status of this feature is in ORTS if possible?

Robert

#2 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:35 PM

http://www.elvastowe...post__p__148209

#3 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:52 AM

At the time Carlo started looking into this and even when I attempted to, James must of had a full plate so this area was never fully looked into. The issue is that standard texture files have a shape file and a "sd" file that goes along with it. In this file, you have this line, "ESD_Alternative_Texture ( 257 )". I am not sure of the format of the value, but it is used as a key in testing season textures in the code. TerrTex files do not have a shape file along with the "sd" file so the initial testing used for standard textures would never work with TerrTex files.

So how to test for additional TerrTex files. I initially used a series of tests using season and specifically looking for the TerrTex file in any of the new season folders. My initial tests were good, but is it efficient and this is where James questioned my method.

The other issue is that the combination of night textures and snow textures are restrictive in that you have one or the other, not both. It should be possible to correct this in the code(I believe), but routes use snow textures set up for daytime use, not night so all of the snow textures would have to be modified for night use along with modifying the structure to create at least the needed season folders in the "Night" folder. So at this moment, we have 2 issues that need to be corrected. The question is how important are these issues?

Edward K.

#4 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OR/TSRE

Posted 28 October 2017 - 09:22 AM

Why would one need a night terrtex, anyway? Unless the ground is emitting light then just seasonal and snow textures (like trees) should be enough

#5 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:38 AM

The ground *does* emit light at night when snow covered - at least when the moon is out. It's a reflection, not strictly a source, of course.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users